The Palm

When it was new and it was busy you could of been in any pub in any city centre.
N

Nah it started off as Quincys, then old Orleans, Liberty Browns then Palm

In our case it's their own fault, one of them dropped us in it one night and fobbed us off on the phone when we rang. Got sick of waiting after 1 /2 hours so got an Uber and it was there in 10 minutes, the other taxi never even turned up at all. Don't know how true but I'm told the taxi firm prioritise a certain app over the people that just ring up and there calls are outsourced to india
Station don’t outsource to India I don’t think. Except for drivers.

Anyway, did anyone go to Dr Feelgoods when they had their launch nights and food and drink was for nowt?

Last edited:
That's a canny steep walk back home!
It was never a full session or owt so that made it easier, more just an evening stroll for a couple then back up. The bank past Sainsburys was a bit of a killer but then we didn’t live far from the top of it so didn’t have much further to go.

Thought as soon as Seaburn got popular as an ‘alternative’ location that The Palm would really struggle. Shame, cos I’ve enjoyed the food when I’ve been.

What’s happening at Seaburn/Roker is fantastic. I do, however, think that the City should look at a shuttle bus service simply covering three stops:

- outside of the stack
-outside of the Roker
- drop off at Keel Sq

Make it £1 a single and just run it on a Fri - Sunday. Given how bad taxis are, it will create a great link between the seafront and town.

Obviously that won’t help the Palm, but it should help protect a lot of the new bars in the town

Taxi availability will have killed it ; incredible the difference before & after Covid.

I’d have went and just got one without a second thought before the pandemic, afterwards, I’d have known I’d probably have to walk for miles to get home.

They need to put their rates up, pay more and attract more drivers.
Tried to book a Station Taxi from SR3 to railway station at 8,30am but informed none were available between 8 & 9,30am due to all their taxis booked for special educational needs school transport!
Not acceptable, especially visitors to Sunderland.
Need more available.

Tried to book a Station Taxi from SR3 to railway station at 8,30am but informed none were available between 8 & 9,30am due to all their taxis booked for special educational needs school transport!
Not acceptable, especially visitors to Sunderland.
Need more available.

Mate, the other week I needed a taxi from SR6 to the train station at 6am. I rang two companies and neither had a taxi available. I ended getting a mini bus 😂

They should of built the palm where stack is
Too difficult to get too
Yep said this when it opened, well I think I originally said Roker down where the amusements are.

It lasted a lot longer than I thought it would given the location, but I liked it when I went granted it was only either on an evening for private events or during the day. Imagine it would have been canny on an evening if the right crowd got in.

There’s a lot more to it than the lack of a taxi.
The choice now available in the town and the sea front means a lot of places will disappear.
That’s a shame if people have lost money or jobs, but it’s good for those who want the town offerings to be moving up in quality.

Station are atrocious these days. I've been let down by them a few times.
Been atrocious for years. Worked over the dark side, North Tyneside to be precise with a few Sunderland lads, this was back in 2012. Asked Station to do some late night pickups, said they would need deposit, as weren't sending drivers through Tunnel if risk we might not show, fair enough. Asked if pay with card, no but could drop cash off at their office. Thought stuff that, Blueline were always bang on and could pay by card even back then. They must have missed out on loads of work.

Wouldn't be surprised, it's dead when we've been in. Was never the same after COVID.Would have been ideal for a pre match pint then jump on the park and ride,if they put the effort in like having drinks offer etc. When it first opened it was a refreshing change to the area and it was packed. There's definitely something going on around there like as the gym is being left to rot and that retail park is decimated along with nothing over the road either since Wickes moved
The gym has been left to rot for the last 10 years, don't think I've seen a new machine for years, the steam room needs ripping out and redoing too. I should cancel my membership and join somewhere else but it's just habit now.

Back