The Oval experiment on fans attending

I’m at the game. Only the Alex Stewart entrance in operation. On arrival your barcode is scanned, no security check, handsan available. There are only 6 blocks in use. Every other row is empty. All indviduals/bubbles separated by a 2 seat gap. Masks only endorsed in the food area under the OCS stand. Seems a bit odd as the bars and food franchises just outside it don’t require masks. No masks at all in use in the seats. Consequently it feels no different to normal watching the game. Except it’s about 10 times as busy as it would be for a normal red-ball county match! I’ve been very cautious coming out of lockdown - always really been operating one step behind what the government said was acceptable. But this feels extremely safe. And after so long without cricket ... so so great to watch. Even though it’s only a 2-day friendly between 2 teams I’ve little interest in. I can’t imagine how great it will be to watch Durham like this.

I’m at the game. Only the Alex Stewart entrance in operation. On arrival your barcode is scanned, no security check, handsan available. There are only 6 blocks in use. Every other row is empty. All indviduals/bubbles separated by a 2 seat gap. Masks only endorsed in the food area under the OCS stand. Seems a bit odd as the bars and food franchises just outside it don’t require masks. No masks at all in use in the seats. Consequently it feels no different to normal watching the game. Except it’s about 10 times as busy as it would be for a normal red-ball county match! I’ve been very cautious coming out of lockdown - always really been operating one step behind what the government said was acceptable. But this feels extremely safe. And after so long without cricket ... so so great to watch. Even though it’s only a 2-day friendly between 2 teams I’ve little interest in. I can’t imagine how great it will be to watch Durham like this.
Thanks for this. Great report. Stay safe and if you wish, update the score

Thanks for this. Great report. Stay safe and if you wish, update the score
Score? No idea 😂
Score? No idea 😂
92-2 btw at lunch. Local interest? Borthwick came in when Surrey we’re struggling and is on 29. Solid, unspectacular innings so far, he’s left Jacks (41) to do the work in a partnership of 75. Very mature approach. Shame we won’t be benefiting from it.
And there’s Borthwick’s 50 👏
96 balls - 9x4s

Last edited:
Score? No idea 😂

92-2 btw at lunch. Local interest? Borthwick came in when Surrey we’re struggling and is on 29. Solid, unspectacular innings so far, he’s left Jacks (41) to do the work in a partnership of 75. Very mature approach. Shame we won’t be benefiting from it.
And there’s Borthwick’s 50 👏
96 balls - 9x4s
4:40pm out for 87

I’m in Wales for the weekend but I doubt Glamorgan would be allowed anyone in by the welsh govt even if they had a game. Which they haven’t.

In other news .... do we think the fact that Durham have 4/5 games at home suggests the Riverside is considered a more Covid-safe venue?

Went really really well, everyone seems happy. Been confirmed that we can have bigger crowds in next weekend for the Bob Willis Trophy game v Middlesex and I've got my tickets sorted!
How much were they? Just out of curiosity.
I’m in Wales for the weekend but I doubt Glamorgan would be allowed anyone in by the welsh govt even if they had a game. Which they haven’t.

In other news .... do we think the fact that Durham have 4/5 games at home suggests the Riverside is considered a more Covid-safe venue?
Dominic Cummings seems to think so.

Last edited:
Durham need to make a statement, season starts on Saturday and whilst it seems nobody will be allowed in, an official statement needs to be made.

I agree - they issued a statement on their site on Friday stating that once they were clear on what games members will be able to attend they would be in a position to announce the exact options available to members ie ranging from full refund to donation (and everything in between).

Surely all the counties must know by now but then again........:lol:

I agree - they issued a statement on their site on Friday stating that once they were clear on what games members will be able to attend they would be in a position to announce the exact options available to members ie ranging from full refund to donation (and everything in between).

Surely all the counties must know by now but then again........:lol:

Talking to someone, they reckon the are going down to the Sticky Wicket pub at the ground to watch the FA Cup final on Saturday which seems odd, given I can't watch the cricket.

Durham Academy vs CLS on Sunday at Ropery Lane may well be a cricket fix.

It all just seems a bit weird. I fully expect not to be allowed on Saturday but we have a 5 year gold membership thing and I think the authorities (including the club) have a duty to all members to basically let us know what is going on and what is happening with our investment which is the membership purchase. Do I get a pro rata refund on the 5 year membership? will it be rolled over an extra year? A bit of clarity is needed now as previous statements have been utterly meaningless and basically said nothing.

Back