The Otley Run

Done it twice. Second time didn’t get passed the Original Oak when Martin had it. One of the best / busiest pubs ever.
Beverley road in Hull had a similar run. There used to be about 20 pubs. Now there would be no more than 5.

Last edited:
Never classed the University Union as part of the Otley Run, there was another one just behind the Bricklayers Arms called the Chemic, that was a diversion as well

We sometimes use the get the bus to Otley on a Friday night as well, until the bus company stopped running the last bus back because of bother

Naffes, Kayghan Valley or Islamabad: which was your exotic emporium of choice?

I use to live behind the Chemic for a year, decent boozer not a student haunt, had a cracking chippy next door and the worse curry house in Leeds opposite it.
30 odd year ago

Kagan Valley was 2 minutes away. The little fish shop and then the little Chinese just opposite the Valley. The Oak and the Skyrack nearly 3 minutes away - that was a battle. After 5 years she said it is time to move. What for - I have got everything here?

Last edited:
Never classed the University Union as part of the Otley Run, there was another one just behind the Bricklayers Arms called the Chemic, that was a diversion as well

We sometimes use the get the bus to Otley on a Friday night as well, until the bus company stopped running the last bus back because of bother

Naffes, Kayghan Valley or Islamabad: which was your exotic emporium of choice?

I use to live behind the Chemic for a year, decent boozer not a student haunt, had a cracking chippy next door and the worse curry house in Leeds opposite it.
30 odd year ago

Chemic was a class boozer especially considering the location. I also lived in Woodhouse so went a bit...probably 20 years since I have been there mind.

Fine till you get in Leeds itself. Then it’s a right pain for lads to get in the bars.
Aye always been the same Leeds that’s why I wasn’t sure about this otley run

Is it worth doing like? It waste of time if going with a group due to hard in Leeds not letting groups in?

Aye always been the same Leeds that’s why I wasn’t sure about this otley run

Is it worth doing like? It waste of time if going with a group due to hard in Leeds not letting groups in?

The Otley Run itself is geared toward bigger groups so you won’t have an issue. Part of it is going as a big group, often dressed up.

As the poster you’re replying to said it’s when you get into the city centre you’ll have an issue but the Otley run ‘finishes’ before the city centre.
Any good pubs or just chain types?

Mixed bag. Most of them are ‘student pubs’ due to it running through Headingley and Hyde Park up to the university, which are student areas.

Last edited:
How long do you have to do it? I couldn’t sit in a pub and drink 17 pints, but I could on pub crawl if was over 12 hours or something .

No time constraints, just realistically you need to have one in each before moving on have a chance of finishing it. Half the battle is keeping the group on the move.

Back