The Otley Run

The few people I’ve ever known who can drink like that are massive fat bloops.

Yep. Have to cane it every week. Probably leaves no money for eating anything resembling a healthy diet. You’d constantly be at the pub so not getting any exercise.

20 pints of 4% lager is about 3,600 calories as well :lol:

Years ago aye. Can't remember owt from about the sixth boozer.
Was class.
Woodies is my local but can't go near the place on a Saturday afternoon now. Was always a pub crawl for students but it's gone mental now, see coaches pulling up from all over and it's mostly older people now. Can't imagine many get passed The Oak before heading into town/ pissing their Smurf costume

We managed it in uni, did Pub golf and had a specific drink in each pub with a par attached (shot = par 1, Guinness = par 5). You have to keep moving and need someone to round up stragglers. I did end up in a bush at 9.30pm staring at my feet while walking home on my tod.
Pub Golf, now there was a quality game. We did it twice round Seaburn, Fulwell and Roker - score cards, water hazards (no going fot a piss between the two furthest away boozers, ladies tee (probably a Quantro or something). Brilliant stuff though I'd likely die now.

Last edited:
4.6% minimum mate
This story is getting taller all the time.
However, let’s accept the fact that you go out every week and drink 17-20 pints of 4.6%. That would probably put you in the top few % of drinkers in the country. I dunno, maybe you have a condition that stops you getting drunk or something. But you’re also saying that all your mates drink the same? Which makes them all drinking supermen as well.
Even if we accept this perfect storm, the fact still remains that it’s not normal and in no way represents the drinking abilities of your average bloke.
Was class.

Pub Golf, now there was a quality game. We did it twice round Seaburn, Fulwell and Roker. I'd likely die now.
Well there’s my birthday plan sorted

However, let’s accept the fact that you go out every week and drink 17-20 pints of 4.6%. That would probably put you in the top few % of drinkers in the country. I dunno, maybe you have a condition that stops you getting drunk or something. But you’re also saying that all your mates drink the same? Which makes them all drinking supermen as well.
Even if we accept this perfect storm, the fact still remains that it’s not normal and in no way represents the drinking abilities of your average bloke.

Marvellous. I'll get young @Lenzo On the case for the score cards.

Was class.

Pub Golf, now there was a quality game. We did it twice round Seaburn, Fulwell and Roker - score cards, water hazards (no going fot a piss between the two furthest away boozers, ladies tee (probably a Quantro or something). Brilliant stuff though I'd likely die now.

Zany.

(I have done this as well) although I eventually just started telling the sad sacks trying to enforce the rules to piss off and let me enjoy my pint.

I never realised we were so good tbf like dave. I get drunk but just keep on going, if I touch the spirits (rum/jager) it's a different kettle of fish like, spew and end up home early
Was class.

Canny trek anarl
Nor not having that :lol:

20 pints every weekend and only weigh 80kg
Probably every other
BILLY BULLSHIT ALERT
Easy, don't take you girly drinking abilities out on me chur

Last edited:
Was class.

The one time I played this I won too easily - just downed everything. Got a bit boring to be honest, n I had to buy extra pints to sip in between.

One lad got a bit carried away trying to beat me - was still trying to play after it ended. Silly get. Mag like, so what d'ya expect.

I loved in Headingley for 5 years - the Original Oak was my local. Would walk up to Woodies,The Shoes and the New Inn on a Sunday usually. Although I did see Monica Lewinsky in there one day. I used to like the Chemic Tavern but I dont know if it is still there. Then the pub round the back of Nafees on Woodhouse Moor.

First did it as a student, thirty years ago.
Then it was
Woodies
Three Horse Shoes
New Inn
Skyrack
Original Oak
Hyde Park
Pack Horse
Eldon
Brickies (optional)
University Bar
Fenton

Now you can add to that list-
Arc
Headingley Taps
Head of Steam
Box
Wetherspoons
Library
Dry Dock

Done a pint in each of the originals.

Planning on doing a 30th Anniversary attempt in October…..
Never classed the University Union as part of the Otley Run, there was another one just behind the Bricklayers Arms called the Chemic, that was a diversion as well

We sometimes use the get the bus to Otley on a Friday night as well, until the bus company stopped running the last bus back because of bother
I loved in Headingley for 5 years - the Original Oak was my local. Would walk up to Woodies,The Shoes and the New Inn on a Sunday usually. Although I did see Monica Lewinsky in there one day. I used to like the Chemic Tavern but I dont know if it is still there. Then the pub round the back of Nafees on Woodhouse Moor.
Naffes, Kayghan Valley or Islamabad: which was your exotic emporium of choice?

I use to live behind the Chemic for a year, decent boozer not a student haunt, had a cracking chippy next door and the worse curry house in Leeds opposite it.
30 odd year ago

Last edited:
I never realised we were so good tbf like dave. I get drunk but just keep on going, if I touch the spirits (rum/jager) it's a different kettle of fish like, spew and end up home early

Canny trek anarl

Probably every other

Easy, don't take you girly drinking abilities out on me chur
Are you on the sniff anarl?

Back