The Northern Spire Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

It will get publicity. The city is bidding to be uk city of culture yet comes up with this shit. Could be anywhere in the region this bridge, should be uniquely named to Sunderland.

I understand this point, this is one of the drawbacks of the name chosen. On the other hand, the term "Northern" doesn't mean people won't know where it is, I dislike it that the term "North East" is associated with Newcastle than outsiders. A Sunderland orientated name wouldn't challenge that much.

We can use this name to take back the terms "Northern" and "North East" to show that they don't belong to Tyneside. Like the Millenium and Tyne Bridges, this bridge can establish iconography too.

How will naming a bridge show off our Heritage/History? Not having a go, just don’t see it?
By naming it after something relevant... like Joseph Swan, or one of the yards or one or the millions of ships. Something that made outsiders say:

'who is joseph swan? Invented the lightbulb? Was he from Sunderland? I never knew that. They must have a rich industrial heritage that no one outside of the city recognises " -

Something like that

It will get publicity. The city is bidding to be uk city of culture yet comes up with this shit. Could be anywhere in the region this bridge, should be uniquely named to Sunderland.
I'm very proud of Sunderland however you could argue that we should try not being so parochial and try and claim the North for ourselves. Why should people automatically think of Newcastle when the North or North East is mentioned?
The UK City of Culture is about being a city of culture for the whole country. If we only ever think of ourselves in terms of being Sunderland in isolation then that's going to have a detrimental effect on our image.
I doubt the naming of this bridge makes much difference one way or the other, certainly not to the bid.

Im not sure anybody outside of Sunderland will actually care about a new bridge in Sunderland, or even know about it.

By naming it after something relevant... like Joseph Swan, or one of the yards or one or the millions of ships. Something that made outsiders say:

'who is joseph swan? Invented the lightbulb? Was he from Sunderland? I never knew that. They must have a rich industrial heritage that no one outside of the city recognises " -

Something like that
I think you may be overstating the interest from outside of Sunderland to be honest.

Last edited:
Im not sure anybody outside of Sunderland will actually care about a new bridge in Sunderland, or even know about it.

Of course they won't in terms of the news story itself, but as it gets marketed it will become an icon of Sunderland and will have a subconscious effect in how the city is perceived and viewed.

Just like the Millenium Bridge does for Newcastle... iconography works, because it creates feelings, imaginations and perceptions of things which can offer differ from the empirical reality. If people see this bridge, it will impact the psychology of what "Sunderland" is.

No Bridgey McBridgeface then :lol:

Well it's not a prism, and isn't a lumen something to do with light emission? So I suppose it's a bit like a spire and it's in the North, so aye, the best of a really bad bunch.

Who thought up the shortlist, was it someone in Sunderland council like?

Probably some phoney-baloney right-on marketing group-think huddle crafted the name.

It could at least have been The Sewpa Sunlun Spire Bridge. That would showcase our city to the world.

Last edited:
Pathetic name, and now they can say they let us name it, w4nkers. The name isn't even practical, you wouldn't give directions and say "Yes follow the road over the Northern Spire". Better than Lumen Point tho.

Might have attracted some Scandi Noir TV nerds to the area.
:lol:

when it opens someone curl a shite out exactly half way between the north side & south side, then we can have a proper police inquiry rather than that made up bullshit...

Probably some phoney-baloney right-on marketing group think huddle crafted the name.

I used to work for this company who were merging with another company so we hire the type of thing you quoted and spent a day at Slaley Hall brainstorming under their control to come up with a name. They eventually came back with this luxurious velvet bound book thing with three suggestions in and a ridiculous load of waffle. It was riddled with spelling mistakes and of the three names, one was already in use by another company, one was the name of a film about horse sex, and the final one was misspelled and just shit.

And they did a 'logo' which was supposed to be tadpole signifying metamorphosis, but looked just like a sperm.

The then put an invoice in for over 10k

We fucked them off and didn't pay them the bunch of f***ing jokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back