The most you can drink without having a proper hangover

Had a slab of 18 Carling (urgh) for Christmas Day yesterday as my dad and the FIL only drink shit cooking lager. As it turned out they only had a can each as both had the car, so I ended up flattening the other 16 over the course of the day. It's scientifically impossible to get pissed on that stuff. Bounded out of bed fresh as daisy this morning with no ill effects. If I'd had anywhere near the same amount of something actually half decent I'd have been getting my stomach pumped by now.

It isn't a myth mind. The chemicals in cheap processed lagers, cheap wines and cheap spirits do make you feel worse. For spirits a good rule of thumb is, if it's less than 38% don't touch it. Which is the exact opposite to what you thought.
It is a myth that you'll feel better drinking ten pints of 'pure' German lager vs 10 of the same strength UK mass produced stuff. The alcohol is what gets you, nothing more. The purity of the beer is irrelevant and misunderstood.

What chemicals are they adding to lager? Beer is a really simple product to make, and it's also simple enough to bring the costs down vs a premium producer. Using hop extract rather than pellets, using a cheaper grain like maize of rice instead of barley etc. None of this will impact your hangover, but it will change what the final product tastes like.

Other drinks I have no idea, they're not something I get involved in. I know there's some science behind why red wine gives some people headaches, something to do with a specific compound.

Back