The mags are claiming Durham CC now

No-one from the Tyneside part of County Durham can be a Geordie and therefore Blaydon Races is not a Geordie song.

I think that’s the established consensus position of the cricket forum. A fairly comical established consensus but nevertheless

I've always associated that song with the mags so to hear Durham sing it doesn't sit right with me. Probably being petty like

No-one from the Tyneside part of County Durham can be a Geordie and therefore Blaydon Races is not a Geordie song.

I think that’s the established consensus position of the cricket forum. A fairly comical established consensus but nevertheless
Have wondered for years why they sing Blaydon Races, because Blaydon is on the wrong side of the river to be considered “Geordie.”
People from South Shields are Tynesiders
South Shields was in Co Durham.
Co Durham Tynesiders from South Shields. 🤔🤔🤔
Tynesiders but not “Geordie” which makes for a big distinction within the context of this conversation.
I've always associated that song with the mags so to hear Durham sing it doesn't sit right with me. Probably being petty like
Mags/Geordies = Northumberland, not Durham.

Durham is the other side of the river.

Last edited:
Have wondered for years why they sing Blaydon Races, because Blaydon is on the wrong side of the river to be considered “Geordie.”

Tynesiders but not “Geordie” which makes for a big distinction within the context of this conversation.

Mags/Geordies = Northumberland, not Durham.

Durham is the other side of the river.

You ask people from Blaydon / Whickham / Bensham type area whether they’re Geordies or not!

I reckon they might sing Blaydon races because the lyrics are about Scotswood Road, Collingwood Street, Armstrongs….

Back