The loss of traditional shops

Use them or lose them
That’s what needs to be done

Where was that
I remember a similar shop in Dundas street where I got Dunlop silver flash and dr Martin’s shoes
A small co-op shop springs to mind
Progress has give us the answer to that one
Busy shops dont close
Dunlop Green flash mobilised the 70's
loved getting my knife and getting the small stones out of my sole

Last edited:

Progress has give us the answer to that one
Busy shops dont close
They do actually. Successful locations are often subject to landlords upwardly revising rent to silly points where it’s not viable for the busy shop. Likewise, upward biz rate reviews can make perfectly viable shops unviable. In some locations landlords can get more money from converting to resi to let as HMOs, to students for example, so can keep an old busy shop empty to help get through planning.

They do actually. Successful locations are often subject to landlords upwardly revising rent to silly points where it’s not viable for the busy shop. Likewise, upward biz rate reviews can make perfectly viable shops unviable. In some locations landlords can get more money from converting to resi to let as HMOs, to students for example, so can keep an old busy shop empty to help get through planning.
We can split hairs on "busy",we'll call it profitable instead . I you aren't busy enough to cover your overheards ,you'll close . All the shops people miss got less and less trade from punters and closed

Pie and mash shops. Only one traditional shop left in Walthamstow. Marble top tables, vingar wth worms in, eels wriggling in a tray in an open window.

Shopping with my mum, pie and mash, a chewing gum from the machine and bus home...Nirvama 👍
Manze is still there and Barney's was still going last time I was down my brothers about 18 months ago.

It would definitely be record shops for me. Used to always search them out when away with work.

Manze is still there and Barney's was still going last time I was down my brothers about 18 months ago.

It would definitely be record shops for me. Used to always search them out when away with work.
Thanks for that info, it should be a listed business if that's possible :D

Proper cobblers opened in Peterlee about 5 years back.
he's spot on like. been in a few times and always had great service.
there was a shop up newcastle called glug that sold beers and bits of foody stuff. used to be in the grainger market but moved to a place along from the tesco metro. it's gone now which is a shame as he had a great selection of ales and always called in for a couple when we went up.

Last edited:
Its just nostalgia for a bygone time
i dont "shop" anymore ,i dont need shops ,everything is online ,even the majority of food
in saying that a "dodge around the shops " is a canny pastime the two times a year you're away some where
i love seeing vinyl shops etc but its more like a living museum .

something "sounds " ??
Solid sounds

I love the nostalgia but pretty much everyone buys on price and it means the independent bricks and mortar places don’t stand much of a chance unless they have a big online presence too.

I love the nostalgia but pretty much everyone buys on price and it means the independent bricks and mortar places don’t stand much of a chance unless they have a big online presence too.
You are absolutely correct but there is nowt like going to talk to a proper expert who knows the product inside out rather than online reviews that sometimes contradict each other.

As someone that used to live a mooch around the shops 20 yr ago, got to say there’s many better things to do with my time, so I welcome the click and collect and internet shopping, it now seems a chore to actually go to the shops. I’m getting lower prices and increases leisure time.

Back