The loss of traditional shops

Something needs to be done with all the old department stores that have gone to the wall. I'd like to think that many could be converted into apartments or entertainment venues, but for that you need the demand.
Beales is another one that has now left massive holes in the high street
Use them or lose them
That’s what needs to be done
The Drapers ( my mam called it) was my favourite shop as a small kid in the 70s! It always had cool little toys and catapults and stuff. But when I Google drapers it was just a fabric shop! They definitely sold baseball boots and monkey boots cos I remember getting them from that shop.
Where was that
I remember a similar shop in Dundas street where I got Dunlop silver flash and dr Martin’s shoes
A small co-op shop springs to mind

Last edited:

Pie and mash shops. Only one traditional shop left in Walthamstow. Marble top tables, vingar wth worms in, eels wriggling in a tray in an open window.

Shopping with my mum, pie and mash, a chewing gum from the machine and bus home...Nirvama 👍

Use them or lose them

Where was that
I remember a similar shop in Dundas street where I got Dunlop silver flash and dr Martin’s shoes

Already lost chief.
It's what you fill the empty units with that's the issue

I needed a waste pipe for my mams washing machine the other day, needed it straight away not next day or whatever. Went to Charlie Butts hardware Washington, that shops been there my whole life, not sure who the guy in there now is but he’s ancient, anyway, he had the waste pipe and it had an old paper price sticker on saying £4. He says “that’ll be ooohhh let’s call it 17 quid son” and chuckles away to himself😊.
Don’t get that kind of cheek online.

Use them or lose them

Where was that
Either town end farm or downhill I think. They sold DMs and Dunlop also always wanted some green flash but I always go a no!

Back