The Like Button

I'm not talking about negative buttons, I'm talking about having the full range of reactions available.

It might reduce the over-all posts on the form mind.

As I said it would be better than the current situation, but still not good, the best is scrapping the button altogether.
Why don't you set up a message board? You could then run it the way that you like (oops shouldn't have used that taboo word).

In anticipation of how this might go I will admit I have a personal interest in this, the niece of my ex hung herself over social media and she was only 17 years old.

Its a serious issue which needs addressing.

I think in previous threads the argument was that it would lead to more posts of "this". Well frankly who cares, if it leads to a better community and environment over-all there really is no argument.

Its not a joke anymore.
That's very sad but it's not the 'like' button that causes that, it's people's relationship to it.

Without the like button every other post will be ‘I agree.
But would some people get depressed if the majority of people did not agree with them or if lots agreed with people who disagreed with them?
Surely the effect would be the same?

I think we need to work towards not having people being so sensitive or in some respects precious. Everyone needs to man/woman/gender fluid or whatever up a little bit.

In the wider context of particularly young people who feed off the number of likes they get on social media, we need to get to the route cause of this anxiety.

At 62 it baffles me why this is even an issue -but of course I m from a different generation and a different time.

Something ,at sometime not long ago impacted on a generation whereby their self confidence was eroded to such an extent that the number of likes from complete strangers became critical to their well being.

That said , I do find younger people more compassionate , tolerant , inclusive and caring than the majority of my generation, including myself.

Perhaps this new compassion, which I applaud, has the bi product of lowering old school defence mechanisms ( like mine )within themselves thus creating a more sensitive reaction to what people think of the individual.

I guess the younger generation are more tuned into self awareness than my lot ever were.

But would some people get depressed if the majority of people did not agree with them or if lots agreed with people who disagreed with them?
Surely the effect would be the same?

I think we need to work towards not having people being so sensitive or in some respects precious. Everyone needs to man/woman/gender fluid or whatever up a little bit.
I don’t think so. Football is all about opinions, some agree, some disagree. The ones that disagree will usually quote you and add their opinions.

I don’t think anyone especially on pure football should take things personally. Avoid the politics forum by all means but I’d say the majority of people on pure football are decent and we can have good conversations.

In the wider context of particularly young people who feed off the number of likes they get on social media, we need to get to the route cause of this anxiety.

At 62 it baffles me why this is even an issue -but of course I m from a different generation and a different time.

Something ,at sometime not long ago impacted on a generation whereby their self confidence was eroded to such an extent that the number of likes from complete strangers became critical to their well being.

That said , I do find younger people more compassionate , tolerant , inclusive and caring than the majority of my generation, including myself.

Perhaps this new compassion, which I applaud, has the bi product of lowering old school defence mechanisms ( like mine )within themselves thus creating a more sensitive reaction to what people think of the individual.

I guess the younger generation are more tuned into self awareness than my lot ever were.
I agree with a lot of what you posted. However for a sizable number of young people, the self-awareness revolves around the shade of their fake tan or the size of their false eyelashes. Young people (and indeed some older one) of any generation are often obsessed with their image and how others see them - these days that image includes a virtual one as well as a pictorial one.
I don’t think so. Football is all about opinions, some agree, some disagree. The ones that disagree will usually quote you and add their opinions.

I don’t think anyone especially on pure football should take things personally. Avoid the politics forum by all means but I’d say the majority of people on pure football are decent and we can have good conversations.
It certainly wouldn't bother me but if posters are sensitive, they will try to gauge their popularity in any way that they can. Some on here get their rocks off on the number of posts regardless of the 'quality' of them although I guess the meaningless status of levels or trophies on sites does play to that need.

Last edited:
Absolutely - there’s no doubt many are self obsessed , borderline mental health issues tbh.

But I feel that is driven for the unnatural craving to be liked , accepted , recognised.

I m not suggesting my generation are better or worse - but we are tougher and resilient - sadly the big wide world almost demands those attributes by default.

I'd also never underestimate the catastrophic negative cocktail of young girls being repeatedly trained to believe that their self worth is entirely wrapped up in how physically attractive they are whilst also being able to receive instant judgement and confirmation about whether they are or not on platforms like Instagram.

I agree with a lot of what you posted. However for a sizable number of young people, the self-awareness revolves around the shade of their fake tan or the size of their false eyelashes. Young people (and indeed some older one) of any generation are often obsessed with their image and how others see them - these days that image includes a virtual one as well as a pictorial one.

Imagine photoshopping* an image of yourself to look ( what is perceived ) as fabulous only to wake up , look in the mirror and see the real rough arse , flabby arsed truth .
It’s the perception that’s the key here - we are conditioned to see glam as the norm.

(* could I add this would not enhance my film star looks anyway.)
I'd also never underestimate the catastrophic negative cocktail of young girls being repeatedly trained to believe that their self worth is entirely wrapped up in how physically attractive they are whilst also being able to receive instant judgement and confirmation about whether they are or not on platforms like Instagram.

Spot on.Much is driven by advertising and consumerism.
Although I think body image perception is changing.

Last edited:

There’s a significant psychological difference between being judged because of your appearance (positively or negatively) to your written word in the context of an online conversation.
I don’t disagree with the OP that likes can be harmful, but far less so in this medium.

There’s a significant psychological difference between being judged because of your appearance (positively or negatively) to your written word in the context of an online conversation.
I don’t disagree with the OP that likes can be harmful, but far less so in this medium.

Yeah I agree. I was thinking more of younger platforms. Not as relevant here.

I m not suggesting my generation are better or worse - but we are tougher and resilient - sadly the big wide world almost demands those attributes by default.
Is that sad though and aren't demands being reduced? I may be old and cynical but I think some standards are being eroded because the sympathy card is played too often. I do like the idea of people having higher emotional intelligence but as long as it does not mean that the 'man up' philosophy doesn't completely disappear. We do need to be resilient and encourage others to be but not allow people to crumble at every opportunity. I think a balance is needed.

Back