The Last Dance - Netflix

what makes you think that mate ?

I don’t know the game but since watching the doc I’ve read up on it quite a bit and everybody to a man gives it to Jordan.

Better all-rounder. IMO of course

Don't think everyone gives it to MJ mind, plenty people would agree with me

Better all-rounder. IMO of course

Don't think everyone gives it to MJ mind, plenty people would agree with me
The recent ESPN poll had Bryant in 9th.
1.Jordan
2. James
3. Abdul Jabbar
I don't follow the sport but that shouldn't put anyone off watching it.
It's superb and I'd struggle to argue with anyone saying that Jordan is the best sportsman in any sport at any time.

To the people saying Jordan is the greatest ever, based on what? How do you even measure it?
I'm also not a big basketball fan, passing interest, but a lot of what people seem to measure Jordan being the greatest sportsman ever, could you not apply to say Ronaldo or Messi? Them two have been at the top for 12/13 years absolutely miles ahead of anybody else.
I'm not trying to be contrary just trying to get a perspective from people more into the sport than me.

To the people saying Jordan is the greatest ever, based on what? How do you even measure it?
I'm also not a big basketball fan, passing interest, but a lot of what people seem to measure Jordan being the greatest sportsman ever, could you not apply to say Ronaldo or Messi? Them two have been at the top for 12/13 years absolutely miles ahead of anybody else.
I'm not trying to be contrary just trying to get a perspective from people more into the sport than me.
How about the fact that the Bulls only won half their games without Jordan when he was playing baseball. A mid table team probably in football terms. The following year they won a record breaking 72 out of 82 games. He told them he wouldn't accept being part of a losing team. Maradona's impact on the Napoli and Argentna teams is the only comparison I can think of but Jordan edges it. In my opinion anyway.

How about the fact that the Bulls only won half their games without Jordan when he was playing baseball. A mid table team probably in football terms. The following year they won a record breaking 72 out of 82 games. He told them he wouldn't accept being part of a losing team. Maradona's impact on the Napoli and Argentna teams is the only comparison I can think of but Jordan edges it. In my opinion anyway.

Fair enough, putting it in football terms I understand it more. Impact of Maradona but with stats like Messi and Ronaldo.

yeah I agree with all that. Not only was he immensely brilliant at the game, he made everybody else follow suit. Maradona at Napoli like you say probably closest.

A great watch this. Look forward to the episodes each week. Will be gutted when it's finished.

As a heads up to any console owners, NBA 2k20 is on both PS4 and Xbox store for around £3 at the minute.

The recent ESPN poll had Bryant in 9th.
1.Jordan
2. James
3. Abdul Jabbar
I don't follow the sport but that shouldn't put anyone off watching it.
It's superb and I'd struggle to argue with anyone saying that Jordan is the best sportsman in any sport at any time.

I liked the quote where they basically said he was the best person at his job in the world. Not just other sports but any other occupation in the world.
A great watch this. Look forward to the episodes each week. Will be gutted when it's finished.

As a heads up to any console owners, NBA 2k20 is on both PS4 and Xbox store for around £3 at the minute.

ill be gutted when it’s finished aswel.

For me it's his 6 and 0 NBA Finals record, his all round stats (scoring, assists etc) and the respect his peers show him. I've gone back and watched quite a few old playoff games during lockdown and the guy just dominates almost every moment. He seems to just get to where he wants to at will and just seemed to have that knack of knowing how to kill a game. He was also an elite defender and had the ability to shut down the other team's best player, where Lebron usually tends to guard the other team's weakest offensive player.

I like Lebron, and I would say that the past 5 years in the NBA is just as stacked with talent as the early 90s but the guy hasn't done enough winning to be considered a greater player than Jordan IMO.

As far as greatest sportsman goes I think that it's hard to argue an absolute best (it's hard enough comparing people from different eras in the same sport!), but I think there is certainly a group of them at the top. For me I would have Ali, Jordan and Tiger Woods in that group and probably another 2 or 3 if i really thought about it. But those 3 I think transcend their sport to the wider public in the way most others don't.

Enjoying this, as a kid at the time he was at his highest fame he was huge and I wasn't even a big fan of basketball but had a bulls hat and wanted air Jordans.

I've avoided this thread as I only discovered it last week and have just caught up now, so didn't want any spoilers. Fantastic series - never been a basketball fan, but the access they were granted and insight provided was superb. Really looking forward to the final 2 parts on Monday.

I've never been a big basketball fan but this series is outstanding. It's madness to think some of this has just been sitting there for 25 years mind.

For the discussion about greatest sportsman, part of it is about being undisputed, part of it is about transcending the sport and part of it is a just an aura of being capable of taking things to a different level. For example, I don't think you can suggest it about Messi or Ronaldo because there's debate even between those 2, let alone when you through Pele and Maradona into the mix. With Tennis, I don't think there's any doubt Federer is the best, but he struggled with Nadal on clay and Novak towards the end.

As a 12 year old kid, pre-internet with no real interest in Basketball (or any sport outside of football) I knew who Jordan was, I had a bulls cap and wanted Air Jordans.

I can't think of anyone outside of Ali or Woods who has that combination.

A couple of takeaways from the documentary itself:

1) Michael Jordan wore terrible suits!
2) The press linking his father's death to him without any hint of truth was vile!

I've never been a big basketball fan but this series is outstanding. It's madness to think some of this has just been sitting there for 25 years mind.

For the discussion about greatest sportsman, part of it is about being undisputed, part of it is about transcending the sport and part of it is a just an aura of being capable of taking things to a different level. For example, I don't think you can suggest it about Messi or Ronaldo because there's debate even between those 2, let alone when you through Pele and Maradona into the mix. With Tennis, I don't think there's any doubt Federer is the best, but he struggled with Nadal on clay and Novak towards the end.

As a 12 year old kid, pre-internet with no real interest in Basketball (or any sport outside of football) I knew who Jordan was, I had a bulls cap and wanted Air Jordans.

2) The press linking his father's death to him without any hint of truth was vile!

those suits MJ wore were mental !! Huge shoulder pads and massive baggy pants. Definitely my favourite look from the doc is the trench coat and beret look !!

Not easy to buy good suits when you’re that tall, especially in the 90s.

Agree about the greatness. Jordan was one of the most famous people on the planet in the 90s without question.

Not easy to buy good suits when you’re that tall, especially in the 90s.

Agree about the greatness. Jordan was one of the most famous people on the planet in the 90s without question.

No idea what it was like in the 90's but he's only around 6ft 5', same height as me. It's not like he's one of those players around 7ft where I could understand the struggle.

Back