The king of the Fulwell End - Sammy Smith RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P Sammy. Never knew the lad but used to love hearing stories on the bus about the old away days when I was little, his name always came up. Thoughts with his family and friends.

FTM

Oh dear permanent fixture at the away trips. Somebody said he;d been poorly and was then surprised to see him wandering about Durham with a very formal shirt on the old bade embroidered on it.

Just about everybody who knew Sammy, knows a funny story relating to his exploits when following his beloved Sunderland up and down the country.
I remember the Roker Park times and of the usual pre match gallon in the Red Lion, in which Sammy used to run a footy card.
One day, as he was taking the card round he told our group to make sure to have a go on the card because it we were going to win the money.
Sure enough, when the card was filled, he announced that our group had indeed won the money. :lol:
Top man was Sammy, and whenever I seen him out and about in Sunderland or Ryhope, he'd be sure to warmly shake my hand and spend some time talking about football.
He always made time for the "Hartlepool lads" as he used to call us, and always got us a beer in.

R.I.P King of the Fulwell. :cry:

You must have had our share = only ever bought one because he sold them - never won

Never knew him but felt I did with all the stories over the years on here. Always sad when a red and white leaves us.

RIP Sammy

You must have had our share = only ever bought one because he sold them - never won
Great pre match days in the Red Lion.
Sammys footy card and Billy Buttons footy quiz upstairs. :D
Questions regarding NUFC and Boro were phrased as The Scum and The Other Scum :p
Sammy and Billy Buttons were great pre match entertainment, in times when entertainment on the pitch at RP was very much lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back