The king of the Fulwell End - Sammy Smith RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knew Sammy well, both from some of the old away trips and living in Ryhope.
I know things get exaggerated from the old days but Sammy really was the king of the Fulwell End!
Like all of us he wasn’t perfect but he settled down pretty canny as he got older he was always good for a canny bit of crack, a good lad was Sammy.
He’ll be missed around Ryhope and the rest of the town.
R.I.P. mate.

Well before my time but enjoyed the stories about him I’ve read on here or heard from me Dad. Me dad didn’t know him but knew of him, as many who travelled away in those days would have. He pointed him out from up the street a few months back outside the Lambton Worm in town when we were walking to the match. RIP Sammy.

Just about everybody who knew Sammy, knows a funny story relating to his exploits when following his beloved Sunderland up and down the country.
I remember the Roker Park times and of the usual pre match gallon in the Red Lion, in which Sammy used to run a footy card.
One day, as he was taking the card round he told our group to make sure to have a go on the card because it we were going to win the money.
Sure enough, when the card was filled, he announced that our group had indeed won the money. :lol:
Top man was Sammy, and whenever I seen him out and about in Sunderland or Ryhope, he'd be sure to warmly shake my hand and spend some time talking about football.
He always made time for the "Hartlepool lads" as he used to call us, and always got us a beer in.

R.I.P King of the Fulwell. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back