The Hundred

Excellent article on it by Sam Morshead of The Cricketer - which sets out as satirical, but then in truth, makes a hell of a lot of sense about a format that is absolutely f***ing bananas.

Who on earth is The Hundred for? We try to identify the ECB's mysterious 'new audience'

The most bananas quote I took from it too was this from PCA chief Daryl Mitchell:

"The likes of Joe Root and Ben Stokes will be allocated to a team for marketing purposes but they won’t play. The point was made that the new audience won’t necessarily know who Stokes and Root are anyway.”

So the absolute morons at FTECB have actually come up with the idea that the two hottest cricketing properties in this country, with the most fame and talent, will best serve cricket and this new format by NOT playing cricket.........

That'll bring the crowds in :rolleyes:.

It would be funny if it wasn't so scary that ideas like that are coming from people PAID actual money to run cricket in this country.

If they're that new it suggests they won't know what cricket is .... so why would they be interested in the first place?
This^

Even someone with a minimal interest in cricket will know who Root and Stokes are. These are the most likely to be interested by the new, 'exciting' format.

Makes you wonder who they envisage the target audience to be.

Americans, perhaps?

If they're that new it suggests they won't know what cricket is .... so why would they be interested in the first place?

because 100

“The ECB consulted Mumsnet in the lead-up to the announcement of The Hundred” - Elizabeth Ammon, The Times

:lol::lol:

Tell you what, for an england captain to come out with some of this is frankly remarkable, is this a spoof piece or are these real quotes?

especially the second one, this jsut can't be true can it?

“So the new tournament – however many balls it might be – I do enjoy the idea of it, because one of the most complicated things, when you come to a cricket ground and you don’t know what’s going on, and you look at a scoreboard for an indication, with so many numbers and names on the board, you don’t actually know what’s going on, so you eliminate that equation and you break it down to its simplest form.” - Eoin Morgan, England’s limited-overs captain

“I have a lot of friends outside of cricket who would never come to a cricket match, but they have already said they are enjoying the noise around this, because it is upsetting people who already come to a game” - England captain Eoin Morgan

Last edited:
because 100

Tell you what, for an england captain to come out with some of this is frankly remarkable, is this a spoof piece or are these real quotes?

“So the new tournament – however many balls it might be – I do enjoy the idea of it, because one of the most complicated things, when you come to a cricket ground and you don’t know what’s going on, and you look at a scoreboard for an indication, with so many numbers and names on the board, you don’t actually know what’s going on, so you eliminate that equation and you break it down to its simplest form.” - Eoin Morgan, England’s limited-overs captain

“I have a lot of friends outside of cricket who would never come to a cricket match, but they have already said they are enjoying the noise around this, because it is upsetting people who already come to a game” - England captain Eoin Morgan
Then Cricket's not for them, move them along.

because 100

Tweet something like.......

I'm willing to give it a chance like

to be honest the format change idea doesn't bother us so much [although it is stupid and the ipl seems to manage fine, perhaqps indian people are just more intelligent than us]

what does bother us is creating a whole new competition and new teams to run along side a current existing competition.

it would be nice if our national players got to play in our domestic competition MORE this would create more interest, instead they're pulling the best players out of it again for another daft new thing

This^

Even someone with a minimal interest in cricket will know who Root and Stokes are. These are the most likely to be interested by the new, 'exciting' format.

Makes you wonder who they envisage the target audience to be.

Americans, perhaps?

I don't know who they envisage, but it's all just a figment of their imagination.

Thing is, T20 is growing all over the world, INCLUDING in America - so even now, all these weeks on, I still can't think who the fuck thus bullshit format is for.

Genuinely, I don't think it'll come about. I think they'll just end up trying to re-engineer (for about the 392994th time) the T20 competition.

Back