The Hundred - Your Prediction

I think at the start it'll be totally false. No team identities, ECB having to give tickets away for nowt to fill the grounds, most of us hating how they've bastardized the game. Most franchise tournaments have started like that (bar the last bit).

By Year 5 I think you'll have proper sell out crowds, people having attachments to teams and games like the 'London derby' and the Leeds v Manchester one meaning something. The likes of Durham will be clamoring to get the odd game up here like the small Aussie towns have managed in the Big Bash. Cricket will once again be one of the top 5 sports of kids and cricketers will be in the top few of the Sports Personality of the Year list in a big year.

I wish they'd just done a top division of county T20 but I still think bring it on, UK cricket will be healthier in 2024 than 2019.
It’s a bouycott from me

I think at the start it'll be totally false. No team identities, ECB having to give tickets away for nowt to fill the grounds, most of us hating how they've bastardized the game. Most franchise tournaments have started like that (bar the last bit).

By Year 5 I think you'll have proper sell out crowds, people having attachments to teams and games like the 'London derby' and the Leeds v Manchester one meaning something. The likes of Durham will be clamoring to get the odd game up here like the small Aussie towns have managed in the Big Bash. Cricket will once again be one of the top 5 sports of kids and cricketers will be in the top few of the Sports Personality of the Year list in a big year.

I wish they'd just done a top division of county T20 but I still think bring it on, UK cricket will be healthier in 2024 than 2019.
XFL/ITV Digital/Leeds United/Bradford Bulls/Rangers levels of crash and burn. If no-one gives a shit about Lancashire then why on earth are they going to care about 'North West' or 'Manchester'? You're either into Cricket or you aren't it really is as Black and White as that. This is nothing but a haphazard, shoddy, cringeworthy, kamikazie attempt to capture an audience that simply don't give a shit.

Pointing out that it's on FTA is like telling me that picking up a penny off the ground will make me a millionaire. Rugby League/Union, Snooker, Athletics, Cycling, Winter Sports, Gymnastics, Tennis, Hockey, Darts and the majority of Motor Sports are all on FTA, by that proxy they should all be bigger than Football! But they're not. Also, did anyone give a shit about the IPL when it was on ITV4? No. Did anyone give a shit about the CPL when it was on Dave? No. Did anyone watch that absolute abomination that is the new South African league when it was on Freesports a month or so ago? No. Notice a pattern emerging here?

Let's also not forget another three big reasons this is set for failiure that has barely been uttered amongst this whole fiasco......
1) Franchise leagues are on a downard projectory. The BBL has come of an overly long slog of a capaign that no one was intrested in and was met by cheers of relief when it finished. Also as earlier mentioned the new league that was started in South Africa a month or so ago was met with embarrasing crowds, poor presentation and an even worse standard of play. Also, the IPL is not the monster it was 7 or 8 years ago, it's best days are already in the rear-view mirror.

2) Most "Box office stars" are now signed to long term CPL contracts which will be clashing head on with The Hundred.

3) The Hundred is offering nothing to people that they can't already get with the Blast.

I could go on but I won't for now.

In short; There was a time for this, there was a place for this and they completely missed the boat. Also, I could consume a literal skipful of plonk and come up with something a million miles better and more logical than The Hundred.

XFL/ITV Digital/Leeds United/Bradford Bulls/Rangers levels of crash and burn. If no-one gives a shit about Lancashire then why on earth are they going to care about 'North West' or 'Manchester'? You're either into Cricket or you aren't it really is as Black and White as that. This is nothing but a haphazard, shoddy, cringeworthy, kamikazie attempt to capture an audience that simply don't give a shit.

Pointing out that it's on FTA is like telling me that picking up a penny off the ground will make me a millionaire. Rugby League/Union, Snooker, Athletics, Cycling, Winter Sports, Gymnastics, Tennis, Hockey, Darts and the majority of Motor Sports are all on FTA, by that proxy they should all be bigger than Football! But they're not. Also, did anyone give a shit about the IPL when it was on ITV4? No. Did anyone give a shit about the CPL when it was on Dave? No. Did anyone watch that absolute abomination that is the new South African league when it was on Freesports a month or so ago? No. Notice a pattern emerging here?

Let's also not forget another three big reasons this is set for failiure that has barely been uttered amongst this whole fiasco......
1) Franchise leagues are on a downard projectory. The BBL has come of an overly long slog of a capaign that no one was intrested in and was met by cheers of relief when it finished. Also as earlier mentioned the new league that was started in South Africa a month or so ago was met with embarrasing crowds, poor presentation and an even worse standard of play. Also, the IPL is not the monster it was 7 or 8 years ago, it's best days are already in the rear-view mirror.

2) Most "Box office stars" are now signed to long term CPL contracts which will be clashing head on with The Hundred.

3) The Hundred is offering nothing to people that they can't already get with the Blast.

In short; There was a time for this, there was a place for this and they completely missed the boat. Also, I could consume a literal skipful of plonk and come up with something a million miles better and more logical than The Hundred.
Post of the year right there

So going off your quote ' you either into cricket or your not it's that black and white'

The people ' into cricket' are dwindling should the powers of be do nothing?

Last edited:
So going off your quote ' you either into cricket or your not it's that black and white'

The people ' into cricket' are dwindling should the powers of be do nothing?

Exactly.

There are 50 million potential new fans out there once it's out from a paywall. Just playing to those of us who already watch it is the mistake cricket made 15 years ago.

This post is about what will happen in reality, not another moan about the Hundred as the decision about whether it's happening or not has been and gone

It’s a bouycott from me

Just wait 'til the Dronfield Daredevils get a franchise ;)

Not sure how you can't think that, it's just one long twist!

Nothing constructive at all to improve dwindling interest and participation.

Anyone can twist harder to come up with solutions.

Exactly.

There are 50 million potential new fans out there once it's out from a paywall. Just playing to those of us who already watch it is the mistake cricket made 15 years ago.

This post is about what will happen in reality, not another moan about the Hundred as the decision about whether it's happening or not has been and gone

Just wait 'til the Dronfield Daredevils get a franchise ;)

We yeah, he has not stated and come up with any solutions to a big problem.

Just you into cricket or not it's that black and white, really groundbreaking statement that mind.

Last edited:
We don't watch TV the way we used to in the 70'a and 80's or even 90's.

YouTube, Amazon Prime, Netflix the Internet in general - the audience has fragmented. It's certainly arguable that may be that Sky taking cricket away lost one audience and replaced it with a smaller one but that's different to saying if cricket is returned the audience will too.

Still I think the suits with the big brains and bigger pay packets will have thought of that maybe they'll add even more pazazz.

Just seen that the Edgbaston based team are going to have Birmingham in their name afterall. It's good that the people who don't really care about Birmingham Bears will have a real alternative in the form of...eeerrrrrrrr......Birmingham.

I just think that it is not what I will go and watch. I doubt if I will watch it on the TV. It is just hitting 6s and 4s isn't it? I prefer proper cricket thanks- old fashioned but I am old.

Just seen that the Edgbaston based team are going to have Birmingham in their name afterall. It's good that the people who don't really care about Birmingham Bears will have a real alternative in the form of...eeerrrrrrrr......Birmingham.

Don't see the issue with that. Bet the new team are far more followed than the existing one by the time th comp beds in.

A bit long winded but we could be World Champions in a format we are downgrading. Could be massive financial repercussions also for Durham.

ESPNcricinfo

Downgrading 50-over cricket is 'price to pay' for Hundred - ECB county

This is the summer that the ECB hopes will help "inspire a generation" of cricket fans, with England jostling to the front of the pack as favourites for a home World Cup. However, it could also be a last hurrah for one-day cricket in the UK, with the domestic 50-over cup set to become a "development competition" from 2020 onwards.

Gordon Hollins, the new managing director of county cricket, conceded that downgrading the 50-over tournament was "a price that has to be paid" in order to make room for The Hundred. Both competitions are set to run side by side, with the best England-qualified players involved in the new format, but Hollins said it was essential that the ECB came up with something to "make cricket cooler to more people".

Tom Harrison, the ECB chief executive, has previously claimed that The Hundred will not impact on the success of England's ODI team, and while Hollins suggested that 50-over batting skills could be honed in the shorter formats, he confirmed that the domestic cup would become a breeding ground for younger players.

The domestic List A competition is also likely to see the involvement in some form of the "national counties" - as the minor counties have been rebranded - in an attempt to further aid the spread of the game.

"I don't buy that [county cricket] is being devalued," Hollins said. "It might be different. Clearly the 50-over competition will become under this model a development competition. Nobody is going to deny that. But that's a price that has to be paid to fit the different formats in. There's a plus, too, in that you get the next round of players coming through.

"What we're also doing in that competition is going back to having warm-up matches against some of the national counties. A lot of the feedback I've heard over the last couple of years is, it was great when we had the NatWest Trophy/Gillette Cup, where you had Devon hosting Yorkshire in the first round and so on. We're introducing that in the County Partnership Agreement, where a first-class county will go to a national county. And I think that connects the first-class game with a broader audience, too."

Hollins said that while traditional county supporters were part of what he termed "the core" - devoted followers of the game - the goal of The Hundred was to further increase the base from which counties, and England, can recruit in the future.

"What I hear most often is there are not enough: people in club cricket saying, where's our next groundsman coming from, where's our next scorer coming from, there's not enough volunteers. Therefore, for me, what The Hundred is designed to do is to generate and inspire more people to engage in our game than ever before," Hollins said.

"I genuinely believe that The Hundred plays a really important role in achieving that because if it can generate 'water-cooler moments', where people say cricket is sexy and it's engaging and inspiring more people from different audiences, then more of that comes back into the system.

"Cricket is still cool to us, and the core. But it needs to be cool to more people. What makes that challenging and really important to address is that young people now have more distractions than we did. We used to have cricket, rugby, football … That's not the case anymore. In the last round of Sport England funding, I think it was 64 sports that got funding. So by definition, there's a lot more competition for kids' time and attention and passion. That's before you start talking about these devices [mobile phones].

"There's so many distractions now, that we need to make cricket cooler to more people. And by doing that, I think everyone wins. It might not be the same as it's always been, but the world's not the same as it's always been."

Concerns have been expressed about the impact of The Hundred, with PCA chairman Daryl Mitchell warning it could threaten the viability of some of the smaller clubs. However, Hollins said that there were no plans to reduce the number of first-class counties.

He did acknowledge, though, that coming up with something entirely new had been central in securing a return for cricket on free-to-air television when the rights were negotiated in 2017 - despite the ECB denying that 100-ball cricket, which is designed to be completed in two-and-a-half hours, was a made-for-TV product.

Asked whether the BBC would have signed up to broadcasting a county T20 competition, Hollins replied: "No. You'd need to ask them [why]. But their agenda, you can see what they're doing with sport generally, around women's football, their support of the FA Cup. You can see the sort of narrative they produce."

Take ESPN EverywhereDownload the #1 sports app

© 2019 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Cookie Policy and Interest-based Ads are applicable to you.

Last edited:
I still find it hard to believe that the BBC are going to give The Hundred full coverage for x amount of weeks. They stick the World Snooker Championship on the Red Button on an evening FFS.

A bit long winded but we could be World Champions in a format we are downgrading. Could be massive financial repercussions also for Durham.

ESPNcricinfo

Downgrading 50-over cricket is 'price to pay' for Hundred - ECB county

This is the summer that the ECB hopes will help "inspire a generation" of cricket fans, with England jostling to the front of the pack as favourites for a home World Cup. However, it could also be a last hurrah for one-day cricket in the UK, with the domestic 50-over cup set to become a "development competition" from 2020 onwards.

Gordon Hollins, the new managing director of county cricket, conceded that downgrading the 50-over tournament was "a price that has to be paid" in order to make room for The Hundred. Both competitions are set to run side by side, with the best England-qualified players involved in the new format, but Hollins said it was essential that the ECB came up with something to "make cricket cooler to more people".

Tom Harrison, the ECB chief executive, has previously claimed that The Hundred will not impact on the success of England's ODI team, and while Hollins suggested that 50-over batting skills could be honed in the shorter formats, he confirmed that the domestic cup would become a breeding ground for younger players.

The domestic List A competition is also likely to see the involvement in some form of the "national counties" - as the minor counties have been rebranded - in an attempt to further aid the spread of the game.

"I don't buy that [county cricket] is being devalued," Hollins said. "It might be different. Clearly the 50-over competition will become under this model a development competition. Nobody is going to deny that. But that's a price that has to be paid to fit the different formats in. There's a plus, too, in that you get the next round of players coming through.

"What we're also doing in that competition is going back to having warm-up matches against some of the national counties. A lot of the feedback I've heard over the last couple of years is, it was great when we had the NatWest Trophy/Gillette Cup, where you had Devon hosting Yorkshire in the first round and so on. We're introducing that in the County Partnership Agreement, where a first-class county will go to a national county. And I think that connects the first-class game with a broader audience, too."

Hollins said that while traditional county supporters were part of what he termed "the core" - devoted followers of the game - the goal of The Hundred was to further increase the base from which counties, and England, can recruit in the future.

"What I hear most often is there are not enough: people in club cricket saying, where's our next groundsman coming from, where's our next scorer coming from, there's not enough volunteers. Therefore, for me, what The Hundred is designed to do is to generate and inspire more people to engage in our game than ever before," Hollins said.

"I genuinely believe that The Hundred plays a really important role in achieving that because if it can generate 'water-cooler moments', where people say cricket is sexy and it's engaging and inspiring more people from different audiences, then more of that comes back into the system.

"Cricket is still cool to us, and the core. But it needs to be cool to more people. What makes that challenging and really important to address is that young people now have more distractions than we did. We used to have cricket, rugby, football … That's not the case anymore. In the last round of Sport England funding, I think it was 64 sports that got funding. So by definition, there's a lot more competition for kids' time and attention and passion. That's before you start talking about these devices [mobile phones].

"There's so many distractions now, that we need to make cricket cooler to more people. And by doing that, I think everyone wins. It might not be the same as it's always been, but the world's not the same as it's always been."

Concerns have been expressed about the impact of The Hundred, with PCA chairman Daryl Mitchell warning it could threaten the viability of some of the smaller clubs. However, Hollins said that there were no plans to reduce the number of first-class counties.

He did acknowledge, though, that coming up with something entirely new had been central in securing a return for cricket on free-to-air television when the rights were negotiated in 2017 - despite the ECB denying that 100-ball cricket, which is designed to be completed in two-and-a-half hours, was a made-for-TV product.

Asked whether the BBC would have signed up to broadcasting a county T20 competition, Hollins replied: "No. You'd need to ask them [why]. But their agenda, you can see what they're doing with sport generally, around women's football, their support of the FA Cup. You can see the sort of narrative they produce."

Take ESPN EverywhereDownload the #1 sports app

© 2019 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Cookie Policy and Interest-based Ads are applicable to you.

The bit about club cricket not having enough volunteers is spot on imo.

Clearly participation needs to increase as does free to watch cricket and hopefully it will achieve both.

Clearly it is a risk and there are no guarantees, but surely trying to increase participation is a very good thing

I still find it hard to believe that the BBC are going to give The Hundred full coverage for x amount of weeks. They stick the World Snooker Championship on the Red Button on an evening FFS.

One's a minority sport, the other (cricket) is likely to pull in huge numbers. I bet the ECB have let the rights go for a pittance in exchange for a guarantee of BBC1 or BBC2.

I refer you to my previous answer.

100 ball cricket!!!!

There is nothing in the new competition that they couldn't do within a County led T20 format, and the downgrading of the 50 over competition is just a further slap in the face.

Not one person I spoke to today at OT will attend.

That will be the stance of most fans, I am dead against it, but you just never know, if its a good product packed with stars, could prove popular

Back