The Hundred Draft - Sky Sports 7pm

You don't have to actual watch an event before deciding it's not for you, surely.It's not as if the Hundred is an entirely new concept,it's a variation on a sport which has been in existence for centuries. The aim, as you say, is to attract more of the younger generation to participate in any sport ,not necessarily cricket. Investment should be in participation in sport in schools. The amount of money invested already in an unproven concept is obscene -that'a why the suck it and see argument isn't really valid.

It's because there's a genuine chance that this competition might well bankrupt the game-reserves already wiped out promoting it which could have been used to cover losses caused by the pandemic. Debating the actual competition is a case of putting the cart before the horse.

As much as I like debating it mate, we miles apart on this and always have been.

Plus there is some great lads who actually want to actually talk about the competition itself so I will just leave it there.

No one is saying it can’t be debated, just not on this thread.

This forum usually self-moderates but anything hereon on this thread that descends in the same old 100 arguments will get binned. There’s no problem with people starting another thread to debate the merits of it (again!).

Well, I posted what I felt was a perfectly rational and logical opinion earlier on the hundred draft and how surprised I was it wasn’t televised. Yet it was removed for not discussing the topic of the thread 🤷‍♂️

I compared it to drafts from elsewhere (the IPL for example and the NFL) and made the argument that I’m incredibly surprised that the organisers have been so small-time releasing the info as they have done and missing out on a huge PR exercise by not broadcasting it. Even through zoom or conference calling (the NFL did that, hence why I referenced them).

When you consider those behind this format want it to attract a new audience, how do they expect to do that when the draft is done behind closed doors without the razzmatazz and ceremony of drafts like the IPL and NFL for example? If you weren’t already invested in the sport of cricket in this country, you wouldn’t have had any clue it was on or what it was all about.

@Voice of fair play do you consider this logical and rational enough? Considering I am after all discussing the very topic of the thread - The Hundred Draft...... am I not?

Well, I posted what I felt was a perfectly rational and logical opinion earlier on the hundred draft and how surprised I was it wasn’t televised. Yet it was removed for not discussing the topic of the thread 🤷‍♂️

I compared it to drafts from elsewhere (the IPL for example and the NFL) and made the argument that I’m incredibly surprised that the organisers have been so small-time releasing the info as they have done and missing out on a huge PR exercise by not broadcasting it. Even through zoom or conference calling (the NFL did that, hence why I referenced them).

When you consider those behind this format want it to attract a new audience, how do they expect to do that when the draft is done behind closed doors without the razzmatazz and ceremony of drafts like the IPL and NFL for example? If you weren’t already invested in the sport of cricket in this country, you wouldn’t have had any clue it was on or what it was all about.

@Voice of fair play do you consider this logical and rational enough? Considering I am after all discussing the very topic of the thread - The Hundred Draft...... am I not?

Our posts were deleted as not sticking to the subject of the actual tournament, we need to respect that and what we have been asked and respect the lads who want to discuss the actual tournament or draft at least on this thread

If we doing that whether you have a point or not, whatever they did big draft, small draft medium draft, televised, not televised you would have been criticising them, it’s simply what you do every time.
Tbh I not really sure I should be replying after previous post deleted, but always try to be polite and reply to a poster either tagging me in or quoting me hence this reply.

I think we need to let the lads discuss the tournament after they have asked politely

Last edited:
Our posts were deleted as not sticking to the subject of the actual tournament, we need to respect that and what we have been asked and respect the lads who want to discuss the actual tournament or draft at least on this thread

If we doing that whether you have a point or not, whatever they did big draft, small draft medium draft, televised, not televised you would have been criticising them, it’s simply what you do every time.
Tbh I not really sure I should be replying after previous post deleted, but always try to be polite and reply to a poster either tagging me in or quoting me hence this reply.

So you don’t at all think my post was a logical and rational opinion on the topic of the thread?

As far as I could see I gave a detailed and measured opinion on what I felt was an opportunity missed by the organisers of the competition based on examples of what other competitions elsewhere have done. Competitions with a proven track record of success, so it stands to reason a new competition which wants to make it, would look to follow the lead of global brands like the IPL or NFL.

It’s possible to think something is a bad idea and still be constructive. It’s also possible for someone to dislike something but still add to a debate on it. I think you’re being incredibly unfair by dismissing off hand my opinion on this just because I’ve shown in the past I’m not keen. I could just as easily accuse your views as being not worthwhile because you’re a hundred happy clapper - but I didn’t do that.

As for the first bit, when you say:

“Our posts were deleted as not sticking to the subject of the actual tournament”

Well my post was about the hundred draft and when I’ve had a look at the thread title again, just to clarify what I thought originally, it says The Hundred Draft - Sky Sports 7pm’ so I’m not sure what to make of that, I’m fairly confident my post discussing the hundred draft WAS absolutely sticking to the thread topic, but there you go.

Looking at it from another angle are Durham playing any cricket during the 💯. If they are they might struggle to put a team out with what is it 4/5 players definitely unavailable with England and the franchises.

What are the deals like mate? Not that I’m intending to travel 80 miles myself like.

Finally got in after a 4 hour wait and got a ticket for a match at Lords and the Oval for £30 each both are double headers so include a men's and women's match.

I know the Hundred gets a lot of criticism but I'm prepared to go with an open mind and hopefully have some beers in the sun while watching some slogging even if it's not "proper" cricket. It's just nice to have some live sport in my diary. Last time I attended any event was Oxford away last season in the pouring rain.

Finally got in after a 4 hour wait and got a ticket for a match at Lords and the Oval for £30 each both are double headers so include a men's and women's match.

I know the Hundred gets a lot of criticism but I'm prepared to go with an open mind and hopefully have some beers in the sun while watching some slogging even if it's not "proper" cricket. It's just nice to have some live sport in my diary. Last time I attended any event was Oxford away last season in the pouring rain.

Queue lasted longer than a match itself. They're really pushing the women's side, which gets a bit annoying when it's kinda all merged into one with regards to announcements and the website. Having double headers seems a good idea though.

Queue lasted longer than a match itself. They're really pushing the women's side, which gets a bit annoying when it's kinda all merged into one with regards to announcements and the website. Having double headers seems a good idea though.

Yes, the same thought occurred to me. This was just a window for those who bought tickets for last year so there should be plenty left when they go on general sale.

Bit disappointing that you couldn't choose your seat or even section but I suppose they don't know what COVID restrictions might be in place over the summer.

Having two matches on the same day is a good idea but I wonder how many will actually turn up for the women's game.

Was it £40-£50 without the woman’s match like marra?
In fairness, you could’ve covered all of that, for a fraction of the expense by doing a few T20 games at CLS or Headingley.
The T20s have been advertised a lot during the cricket over the last few weeks and barely a mention of the 100
I noted that on a different thread recently, it was almost like the two competitions are ran by two separate entities and competing. I have to say that I’ve seen nothing at all advertising this ‘format’ and that surprising given how desperate FTECB are for this to succeed.
They know they’ve got to do the double header route, it’s the only way to grasp for any real interest to the women’s game. It’s another case of the women’s game piggy-backing on the men’s game to become/stay relevant.

Last edited:
In fairness, you could’ve covered all of that, for a fraction of the expense by doing a few T20 games at CLS or Headingley.

Not when I live closer to Lords and the Oval athan CLS or Headingley.

Might even try to get to some County Championship games this summer and I haven't done that for years.

It’s a bit strange these adverts for the T20s but none at all for the hundred though. You would have thought by now, they would have pushing the hundred sell hard

Back