The Hundred 2023

👍 Righto.

T20/16.4: Always awesome, all the time.
Nobody has said that, It’s like any other sport and any other game of cricket, there will be some good games and some bad games, thats how sport works.

But there is no doubt in my humble opinion that T20 has developed batsman to be able to score 360 degrees around the wicket, bowlers too have more variations than ever before and some absolutely breathtaking fielding.

And again in my opinion I thing it good seeing cricketing skills develop which I also believe has made longer formats more entertaining and watchable as well.

Guess the problem now is getting the balance right between how much short format and long format is played and admittedly that is a concern and a problem that it could be too much short format

Get the balance right and there is certainly room for quality short format and quality long format cricket

Last edited:

Nobody has said that, It’s like any other sport and any other game of cricket, there will be some good games and some bad games, thats how sport works.

But there is no doubt in my humble opinion that T20 has developed batsman to be able to score 360 degrees around the wicket, bowlers too have more variations than ever before and some absolutely breathtaking fielding.

And again in my opinion I thing it good seeing cricketing skills develop which I also believe has made longer formats more entertaining and watchable as well.

Guess the problem now is getting the balance right between how much short format and long format is played and admittedly that is a concern and a problem that it could be too much short format

Get the balance right and there is certainly room for quality short format and quality long format cricket
I never said it was all pure shit either, but it didn't stop you. :D

Nice to see you admit that there have, on occasion, been a bad game of T20. I thought you were part of the Danny Morrison school of never say that anything is anything less than amazing, or else people might notice.

I never said it was all pure shit either, but it didn't stop you. :D

Nice to see you admit that there have, on occasion, been a bad game of T20. I thought you were part of the Danny Morrison school of never say that anything is anything less than amazing, or else people might notice.
Well of course there is bad games of it just like there is bad games of any other cricket.

I don’t make sweeping generalizations of something been shit before a ball been bowled just because its franchise cricket or a game of hundred cricket. Or any format for that matter

I prefer to watch all games of cricket at all levels and make a judgement on the game by actually watching the game and the actual quailty on show.

I am simply open minded and not really invested in a particular side or a particular format apart from England.

Was brought up watching 20 over club cricket and loved it and love attacking positive cricket in all formats.

So simply stands to reason for me that I am going enjoy something like the IPL that brings the top 20 over cricketers on the planet together and happen to have the opinion that the quailty on show in that competition is very good.

Danny Morrison has no influence in that whatsoever I make my own mind up

Well of course there is bad games of it just like there is bad games of any other cricket.

I don’t make sweeping generalizations of something been shit before a ball been bowled just because its franchise cricket or a game of hundred cricket. Or any format for that matter

I prefer to watch all games of cricket at all levels and make a judgement on the game by actually watching the game and the actual quailty on show.

I am simply open minded and not really invested in a particular side or a particular format apart from England.

Was brought up watching 20 over club cricket and loved it and love attacking positive cricket in all formats.

So simply stands to reason for me that I am going enjoy something like the IPL that brings the top 20 over cricketers on the planet together and happen to have the opinion that the quailty on show in that competition is very good.

Danny Morrison has no influence in that whatsoever I make my own mind up
Righto.

Free from any kind if passion for the game, our subject is free to enjoy 'Dre-Russ' perform for all 11 of his teams.

Righto.

Free from any kind if passion for the game, our subject is free to enjoy 'Dre-Russ' perform for all 11 of his teams.
Hway mate, I have simply said I have always enjoyed 20 over cricket as a kid and I still do now.

I have also said I respect you possibly don’t.

A good game of cricket is a good game of cricket whether it Durham v Essex or Delhi v Mumbai

I have explained the detail and rationale of why I like and enjoy it.

It’s my choice to enjoy it and yours choice not to.
I am sure it’s fair to enjoy the cricket on show for the actual quality of cricket on show.

And that you can do that without having to cheer on or hate a particular side?

Last edited:
Hway mate, I have simply said I have always enjoyed 20 over cricket as a kid and I still do now.

I have also said I respect you possibly don’t.

A good game of cricket is a good game of cricket whether it Durham v Essex or Delhi v Mumbai

I have explained the detail and rationale of why I like and enjoy it.

It’s my choice to enjoy it and yours choice not to.
I am sure it’s fair to enjoy the cricket on show for the actual quality of cricket on show.

And that you can do that without having to cheer on or hate a particular side?
As long as the run rates are high enough, obvs.

As an aside, the NEPL have recently been voting to replace the format of the Banks Bowl and Salver T20 competitions with two Hundred competitions instead, shorter qualification format, less dates to manage. Effective from next season if the clubs approve.

As an aside, the NEPL have recently been voting to replace the format of the Banks Bowl and Salver T20 competitions with two Hundred competitions instead, shorter qualification format, less dates to manage. Effective from next season if the clubs approve.
if thats the case you would assume that is something being pushed on the NEPL

As long as the run rates are high enough, obvs.
Well as ever that will always depend on the wicket and the conditions, but as long as cricket teams in all formats go into matches with positive intent to look to win cricket matches and entertain I am all for it.

Its what makes the current England test team a absolute joy to watch.

if thats the case you would assume that is something being pushed on the NEPL
Not necessarily but one change that happened a couple of decades ago that might not have helped was the move away from 15x8 when the 2000 law code dropped eight ball overs as one of the two legitimate lengths and the leagues started to eschew the night match eight ball over accordingly.

It’s not a huge deal but you add ten over changes to an evening game and you maybe add 15 minutes. And suddenly there are more games when it gets dark before the end. So 20x5 fits better than 20x6.

At Surrey he was very anti-16.4.

Now he wants it to be the next IPL.

Money first, cricket a poor second. Disappointed with Thompson. I thought he might have looked after the interests of the county game. Seems I was wrong.

Cricket like any sport is to entertain the public all the public.
Cricket and sport generally should be a competition to establish who is the best team/player over a given period/competition. Yes, it should make a effort to entertain but not at the expense of the integrity of the game itself. Cricket is heading in one direction, very quickly and It won't ever recover. The desperate chase to capture the attention (read cash) of kids/teens/young adults is short-sighted and harmful.

Last edited:
Nee wonder cricket fans are excused as snobbery and think they better than others and have organizations such as the MCC with comments like that.

Cricket like any sport is to entertain the public all the public.
Of course sport is a form of entertainment, with different versions appealing to different mind sets, some prefer a light hearted none too serious version which requires little concentration i.e. a simpler version and the longer form which ebbs and flows as to which team has the ascendancy and consequently requires more concentration.
MCC has ceased to be the rule making body for a number of years and no one would argue that it wasn't elitist but it's been superseded by ECB who are promoting the shorter form to cater for a broader audience. The context in which I've used the term simpleton shouldn't imply any snobbery. If offering a quiet background to watch cricket rather than blaring music and a chanting audience implies snobbery then so be it.
In fact criticising those who dislike this noisy background is inverted snobbery.

The thought of an outside-franchised competition scares the hell out of me.

Imagine a 10 team league with large private investment in each team. Each team plays each one home and away. That's 90 group games plus knockouts. Assuming every game is televised they could probably squeeze in 10 games per week. That's 10 weeks if you factor in the semis and the final. Two and a half months.

This would likely mean playing half of June, all of July and all of August. This leaves two scenarios relating to the County Championship . 1. No CC games at all during this tournament meaning 14 rounds have to be crammed into the start and the end of the season. The likelihood here would be a reduction in the number of games per season. 2. Allow CC games to be played at the same time but as with the One Day cup teams would likely have to play 2nd teamers.

it could be even worse if these private owners wanted full control. For example players unavailable at all for their counties in case they got injured and not allowing counties where a franchise is based to play on their main ground so that the pitches are prepared properly.

It could be argued that I'm getting too pessimistic here and that it's not that bad with the IPL but there's one major difference...The BCCI have plenty of money to exert a certain level of control. The ECB will prostitute itself to the first person who comes to them with a wad of cash (Remember Stanford and his non-existent $20million?).

On top of all this they would have to fit the women's 16.4 in somewhere as well.

The season would also probably see a reduction in test matches.

Like everything else this would have to go to a counties vote and get the 2/3 majority. The 10 franchise bases will vote for it. That means that the ECB would only need 2 out of the other 8 to vote for it. It would normally be straight forward but no doubt there will be another bribe to get it through like last time.

The thought of an outside-franchised competition scares the hell out of me.

Imagine a 10 team league with large private investment in each team. Each team plays each one home and away. That's 90 group games plus knockouts. Assuming every game is televised they could probably squeeze in 10 games per week. That's 10 weeks if you factor in the semis and the final. Two and a half months.

This would likely mean playing half of June, all of July and all of August. This leaves two scenarios relating to the County Championship . 1. No CC games at all during this tournament meaning 14 rounds have to be crammed into the start and the end of the season. The likelihood here would be a reduction in the number of games per season. 2. Allow CC games to be played at the same time but as with the One Day cup teams would likely have to play 2nd teamers.

it could be even worse if these private owners wanted full control. For example players unavailable at all for their counties in case they got injured and not allowing counties where a franchise is based to play on their main ground so that the pitches are prepared properly.

It could be argued that I'm getting too pessimistic here and that it's not that bad with the IPL but there's one major difference...The BCCI have plenty of money to exert a certain level of control. The ECB will prostitute itself to the first person who comes to them with a wad of cash (Remember Stanford and his non-existent $20million?).

On top of all this they would have to fit the women's 16.4 in somewhere as well.

The season would also probably see a reduction in test matches.

Like everything else this would have to go to a counties vote and get the 2/3 majority. The 10 franchise bases will vote for it. That means that the ECB would only need 2 out of the other 8 to vote for it. It would normally be straight forward but no doubt there will be another bribe to get it through like last time.
All reasonable predictions/fears. I suspect that at some point the 'Counties Vote' will somehow be bypassed and become a thing of the past.

I'll add to those above that the pesky UK weather and relatively short season will cause indoor cricket to become a thing. Played in purpose built indoor arenas.

Back