The Haunting of Hill House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I enjoyed it. Ending was a little messy, I can see why people groaned a bit, but as whole I thought it was well deserving of my 10 hours. A compelling, slightly spoopy medium-budget horror mini series.

Give me more like that, please!
Logon or register to see this image

I thought the first 9 episodes were great but some things just didnt make sense or left things unanswered. Im guessing this is on purpose so that they can justify a second series.
Who were the ghosts already there? Who was the really tall bloke who just floated about that got in the face of Steve? Why did that bloke brick himself in the wall? Who was the old woman in the bed? The person in the wheelchair? I know these were people just locked in the house as ghosts but to me it made it feel abut disjointed.
The side story of Shirley and the bloke she had an affair with was weird too. Was he a ghost?

The really tall bloke was the bloke who bricked himself in. That was William, the (insane) husband to the (insane) flapper. The old woman in the bed was his or her mam, the boy in the wheelchair was their child - they were the Hills, the family who built and lived in the house.

tThe bit with the two sisters in the car pictured above was really well written and directed. When there's a long, slow tracking shot through a spooky house, with ominous music playing, you're either consciously or subconsciously expecting the jump scare to follow. Much more effective to have a really dramatic and absorbing emotional scene, with lots of dialogue - the sisters bitterly arguing while driving - so the viewer will be really focused on that, and then BOOOOOM, shit the pants.

I loved this for nine episodes, and loved bits of the last:

The Red Room reveal as being all the other rooms
The bit were Steve and the Dad first go into the house, looking for Luke

But would have preferred the originally planned ending...

Final episode exactly as shot. But at the very end, when they show Steve reuniting with his wife, Luke celebrating two years clean, Shirley confessing to her affair - without drawing attention to it, in every room those scenes are in, there's a thin, tall arched window at the back. They're all still in the Red Room.

Last edited:
One of the best series I’ve seen in a while. Cracking story and acting all round.

The episode that was mainly based at the funeral home (6?) was superb, they really built up a great atmosphere.

Really enjoyed it, and I hate horror things, but this wasn’t as bad as it’s made out!

...or maybes I’m eventually manning the fuck up??!

New series, season 1 just dropped on Netflix. Looks class.

One of the best things I've seen in donkeys years. Genuinely scary and emotionally engaging. Hope they do a better job of a tangential second series than True Detective

One of the best series I’ve seen in a while. Cracking story and acting all round.

The episode that was mainly based at the funeral home (6?) was superb, they really built up a great atmosphere.

This and the reveal of
Nell being the bent neck lady herself
in the previous episode were superb, not completely finished watching but feels like on of those series I'll have to rewatch

Was on the beer for 3 days and watched 9 episodes yesterday. It's brilliant . Only a few scary bits but think it was episode 8 I nearly jumped out of bed . Not sure if it was the drink or the near 9 hours of watching this but I had a horrible nights sleep .Can't wait to finish it tonight still so many in answered questions .

Was it the head in the car? Nearly had a bastard seizure.

Really enjoyed the series. Just finished it last night. Brilliant.

Creepy, unnerving and scary in parts.

I do agree the ending was a little disappointing but overall I really enjoyed it.

Started watching this last night after getting back from the match.

Watched the first three episodes. In the dark. On my own.

Not too bad so far.

Finished it the other night. Thought it was excellent, both as a genuinely creepy haunted house story that didn't rely on violence or gore, and as a family drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back