The Great North Run

There seems to be more things getting cancelled now. So how on earth can 30/40k of us expect to be in the sol in August?
From a point of view where I’m involved with events it’s more a lack of long term clarity that is causing the main issues. It’s impossible to plan when we simply don’t know what we will be allowed to do on certain dates.

From a point of view where I’m involved with events it’s more a lack of long term clarity that is causing the main issues. It’s impossible to plan when we simply don’t know what we will be allowed to do on certain dates.
Surely clubs must have been advised by the government before they started selling season tickets?

Has anything details been released? I'd assume if all restrictions are eased then it can just be a normal start.

Would take hours for them to do staggered starts.

it'll be an absolute nightmare at the great north run. we've done a couple of triathlons this year with staggered starts but only a few hundred racers, one goes off every couple seconds and you stand in a queue social distancing to start. it works canny when there is small numbers.

i'd imagine the GNR would have to cut the numbers massively. and with the whole field massively spread out, it'll be no where near the atmosphere it usually is

hopefully the government have fucked off social distancing and masks by then and they can just have it as normal

Has anything details been released? I'd assume if all restrictions are eased then it can just be a normal start.

Would take hours for them to do staggered starts.
Something in the Echo saying staggered start will take place over a number of hours instead of what is normally about an hour

Sunderland Echo
it'll be an absolute nightmare at the great north run. we've done a couple of triathlons this year with staggered starts but only a few hundred racers, one goes off every couple seconds and you stand in a queue social distancing to start. it works canny when there is small numbers.

i'd imagine the GNR would have to cut the numbers massively. and with the whole field massively spread out, it'll be no where near the atmosphere it usually is

hopefully the government have fucked off social distancing and masks by then and they can just have it as normal
I imagine they wont want to cut the numbers. If they did and refunded people it would cost them a fortune (although they would keep £5 per person as per T&Cs - bar stewards)

Last edited:
Just going to have to bite the bullet and go for the long staggered start. Its shite but its going to have to adapted to get the event on. And what a boost it will be for it go ahead.
Im not bothering to be honest. It will be a right faff on as I will be ahead of Mrs (maybe by hours) so getting to town and back from shields will mean a long day. She is running for charity so wont be dropping out :)

Something in the Echo saying staggered start will take place over a number of hours instead of what is normally about an hour

Sunderland Echo

I imagine they wont want to cut the numbers. If they did and refunded people it would cost them a fortune (although they would keep £5 per person as per T&Cs - bar stewards)
Sounds horrible that to be fair. Unless they use the park next to the start as a waiting area I can't see how they can have either people standing around for hours before what will be the biggest fitness challenge many will do or have people traveling to the start when people will be finished and traveling back to Newcastle.

Hopefully that's a contingency plan and all social distancing will be done with by then.

Back