The FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Haway the Lasses

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have such numbers playing though. No european country has anywhere near
Those teams are the future WC squads and the large numbers may not have enough late bloomers. Spain in particular is doing well in the U17 and U20 tourneys.

2018:
Japan over Spain in Final.
England 3rd, France 4th.
USWNT U20 not in Semi.

Going to go and watch my local ladies team, Hibs. Wife and I have decided to try and make a point of it if we can.

They play at the same ground as me which is great but also an indicator of how little exposure they have I suppose if I didn’t even realise that when I’m there every week

I thought Rose Lavelle was their most underated player

shes quick, good and the ball and can shoot...better than some blokes I have seen playing for us in the past!
Lavelle & Ertz were superb for the Americans. Horan or Mews were decent as well, played like a proper midfield 3 streets ahead of anything us the French, Dutch, Germans et al had

Lavelle & Ertz were superb for the Americans. Horan or Mews were decent as well, played like a proper midfield 3 streets ahead of anything us the French, Dutch, Germans et al had

European origins of the names:
Lavelle (France via Canada)
Horan (Ireland)
Ertz nee Johnston (Scotland)
Mewis (England)

Europe had 7 of the 8 quarter-finalists and one of them will win the 2023 WWC.

I agree with all of that. What I'm saying is individual errors is not the same as poor tactics. That is another issue.

As I've said individual errors are not the same as tactical errors. The defenders are neither strong enough or skilled enough to play the ball out from the back in all situations. They don't have the footballing brains to judge when to boot the ball or when to play the ball out of defence. Both are necessary situation dependent.
Those short goal kicks man!
The Swedes were on top of them every time but they continued with them.
An instruction for the coach without a doubt.

But they still could have got done by the French.
The frogs didn't push Renard up front at the end.

Last edited:
Those short goal kicks man!
The Swedes were on top of them every time but they continued with them.
An instruction for the coach without a doubt.

But they still could have got done by the French.
The frogs didn't push Renard up front at the end.
The poor marking by our right back not being aware of the winger drifting in is down to her and others not communicating with her. Similarly, Steph Houghton standing like a tin of milk instead of moving towards the opposition striker to close down the space is bad judgement and, again, a lack of communication between the defenders was apparent in my opinion.

CNN just reporting now that Nike have announced that the USA's women's shirt has broken records for sales in a single season.

US TV audience for the final was 20m.

New TV audience records in 7 countries across 4 continents.

24 of the 52 matches were sold out.

Total attendance for all matches was over 1m.

Infantino has said the global TV audience for the competition (I think) was 1 billion.

Yet lasses still can't kick a ball more than 20 feet, the goalies are shit and they run like girls.

Apparently.

European origins of the names:
Lavelle (France via Canada)
Horan (Ireland)
Ertz nee Johnston (Scotland)
Mewis (England)

Europe had 7 of the 8 quarter-finalists and one of them will win the 2023 WWC.
Maybe so, but Rosemary Kathleen whose siblings are Nora, Mary and erm, Sean, and who is as pale as she is, is Irish. No argument there.

CNN just reporting now that Nike have announced that the USA's women's shirt has broken records for sales in a single season.

I'm surprised it's that low.

The poor marking by our right back not being aware of the winger drifting in is down to her and others not communicating with her. Similarly, Steph Houghton standing like a tin of milk instead of moving towards the opposition striker to close down the space is bad judgement and, again, a lack of communication between the defenders was apparent in my opinion.
A what?

Last edited:
Maybe so, but Rosemary Kathleen whose siblings are Nora, Mary and erm, Sean, and who is as pale as she is, is Irish. No argument there.

Excellent point, it may be more accurate to describe Lavelle as the McGeady (instead of Messi) of the women's game :)

Without knowing the Lavelle family genealogy, my guess is that the French-Canadian ancestor met an Irish-American ancestor (religious connection) and that only trace amounts of DNA and the name survived after N generations.

Someone shut the sex pest up. Time in the game should have no bearing on whether a foul is a booking or not :evil:

Where is @The Lonious Monk?
Sorry y'all. Been super busy at work and have not had a chance to log in. On Sunday, I went to a nice breakfast with some friends to watch the game. Had a few Bloody Marys and a nice vegetable omelet. I had a nice buzz going by the time the game ended:lol:

New TV audience records in 7 countries across 4 continents.

24 of the 52 matches were sold out.

Total attendance for all matches was over 1m.

Infantino has said the global TV audience for the competition (I think) was 1 billion.

Yet lasses still can't kick a ball more than 20 feet, the goalies are shit and they run like girls.

Apparently.

The US women were also beaten by a u15 boys team in a friendly prior to World Cup 5 - 2
Men’s World Cup 6 billion in revenue
Women’s World Cup 131 million in revenue
Men only make 6% of the revenue
Women make 14% of the revenue

I enjoyed the women’s World Cup but the politics and the playing the victim shit was a little over the top...

The US women were also beaten by a u15 boys team in a friendly prior to World Cup 5 - 2
Men’s World Cup 6 billion in revenue
Women’s World Cup 131 million in revenue
Men only make 6% of the revenue
Women make 14% of the revenue

I enjoyed the women’s World Cup but the politics and the playing the victim shit was a little over the top...
Would you rather have 6% of 6 billion or 14% of 131 million. If it helps, 131 million is about 2 percent of 6 billion. Meaning the men’s share is considerably greater than the total of the Women’s WC combined

Last edited:
Would you rather have 6% of 6 billion or 14% of 131 million. If it helps, 131 million is about 2 percent of 6 billion. Meaning the men’s share is considerably greater than the total of the Women’s WC combined

Like you said, they only bring in 2% of what the men bring in and they take a bigger share of ‘THEIR’ revenue...I don’t see how any of it is unfair. With how drastic those numbers are how can anyone argue they should be on the same wage as men? They would bankrupt the women’s game. It’s like saying a cashier at McDonalds should be paid the same as a maitre’d at a fancy restaurant.

It's not about what you would rather have. It's what's fair. You earn what revenue is generated. The demand is not there. Standard is not there. Their pay is fine.

Like you said, they only bring in 2% of what the men bring in and they take a bigger share of ‘THEIR’ revenue...I don’t see how any of it is unfair. With how drastic those numbers are how can anyone argue they should be on the same wage as men? They would bankrupt the women’s game. It’s like saying a cashier at McDonalds should be paid the same as a maitre’d at a fancy restaurant.
I think they should, in fact more. They work harder and take more shit, rather than just stand around looking pompous and being rude to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back