the end of cinemas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyn

Just going to the Tyneside is an occasion itself
Coming out in the dark around this time of year used to feel as though you were in New York
Xmas lights , shops lit up, the buzz around the streets
I see they're not opening again until next year. To be honest if it's not on there I don't go anywhere else. Also, love the theatre live events too, so would really miss those.

I see they're not opening again until next year. To be honest if it's not on there I don't go anywhere else. Also, love the theatre live events too, so would really miss those.
It’s such a great place, I love the decor and how you’re in a much more intimate setting.

Worst thing about the cinema is other members of the public spoiling the film
Just tell them to shut up. Or stop crunching loudly. Or in my mam’s case to stop snoring! We went to see the BFG and it was so boring she was asleep 20 minutes in. May I add that I was there under duress 😂

Used to smoke tabs in the cinema in Concord 30 year ago, the ashtray was attached to the seat in front. Imagine that now.

This Covid shite's put the nails in the cinema's coffin, that many people have subscribed to Amazon, Netflix etc, you can see it only going one way.
I thought the rise in Netflix subscribers would be much more - Netflix: number of subscribers worldwide 2020 | Statista - “just” 10m worldwide in Q2 2020. Ha e they reached saturation already? And need to spend more and more to keep subscribers happy? Share price gone sideways these past few months.

Film just isn’t that special anymore, everyone has an absolute stack of content at their fingertips which makes cinema look like terrible value and a clart on.
Cinemas were in their pomp when few people had a tv and there was also next to nowt on them. I can only see there being a market for more niche stuff in smaller venues.
People are sat in the house watching Netflix, drinking cans, eating shite.

Used to smoke tabs in the cinema in Concord 30 year ago, the ashtray was attached to the seat in front. Imagine that now.

thankfully it's long gone. I'd be completely refusing to go if that filth was still allowed
Film just isn’t that special anymore, everyone has an absolute stack of content at their fingertips which makes cinema look like terrible value and a clart on.
Cinemas were in their pomp when few people had a tv and there was also next to nowt on them. I can only see there being a market for more niche stuff in smaller venues.

totally agree. People are used to series dumps these days. 10 episodes of the crown at 60mins each dumped to watch when you want. It's not like a 90min film is that different compared to what it was when you had to wait 7 days between 30min episodes.

Last edited:
It is to some though. I have Netflix etc but I’d still far rather go to the cinema and see a film I’m looking forward to than sit at home watching it. It’s not the same for me. But I appreciate it’s not like that for everyone.

I can see smaller cinemas like Tyneside doing well in the future, if they can survive short term. It’s a nice night out, glass of wine and some food. Odeon and the likes are dead.

I thought the rise in Netflix subscribers would be much more - Netflix: number of subscribers worldwide 2020 | Statista - “just” 10m worldwide in Q2 2020. Ha e they reached saturation already? And need to spend more and more to keep subscribers happy? Share price gone sideways these past few months.
Netflix has 73m subscribers in the USA, that's about every household in a population of 360m I would say, they've got that market cornered, HBO is available on Amazon in the USA aswell. Dazn have taken a lot of live sport off the main channels in the USA & Canada, no doubt they'll take the EPL from NBCSN when the next deals up, expanding into Europe aswell. The internet is moving things apace, keep up or die.

used to love going to the cinema with the wife, cant remember the last time we did though so personally wouldnt miss them.
do people still go out for dates to see a filum these days?

used to love going to the cinema with the wife, cant remember the last time we did though so personally wouldnt miss them.
do people still go out for dates to see a filum these days?

i think going for a meal is better. Why would anyone want to sit next to a stranger for a few hours in silence. At least find out some stuff about this person your on a date with.

I still think there'll be a market for
smaller venues. Lots of people like the social appeal of the pictures.
Not for me like.

Completely agree about the smaller venues, we have the jam jar cinema where I live in whitley bay. Has 3 screens with the largest having 45 seats.

Its 10 mins walk from my house, with restaurants and pubs close by.

It's regularly sold out and has most of the top films on within a few weeks of release

The increase in price has turned people away imo. If they hadn’t brought in “the whole experience” and expecting to have a drink, sweets, popcorn and ice cream (maybe a hotdog/nachos) meaning £20 a head minimum, then people would still be filling the seats with a tub of popcorn (and a bit neck on/surprise).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back