the end of cinemas?

anth

Winger
Warner Brothers have announced they are releasing all new films in 2021 to cinemas and HBO Max at the same time, that includes Matrix 4 and Dune. I am almost certain disney will follow suit, they have already released Mulan and Godmothered straight to Disney+. This will certainly reduce the footfall through cinema doors. That coupled with them being shut the majority of 2020 I can see lots closing their doors completely.

I am on the fence on this. I enjoy going to the cinema for the big release films, but it's once or twice a year at most and I always complain about how expensive it has became. I am happy to pay a few quid to stream smaller releases. I wouldn't pay to see them at the cinema so they would getting extra revenue from me, but there will be those that would have went, instead paying the cheaper rate and watching it at home.

Would you be bothered if cinemas all closed?

Warner Brothers have announced they are releasing all new films in 2021 to cinemas and HBO Max at the same time, that includes Matrix 4 and Dune. I am almost certain disney will follow suit, they have already released Mulan and Godmothered straight to Disney+. This will certainly reduce the footfall through cinema doors. That coupled with them being shut the majority of 2020 I can see lots closing their doors completely.

I am on the fence on this. I enjoy going to the cinema for the big release films, but it's once or twice a year at most and I always complain about how expensive it has became. I am happy to pay a few quid to stream smaller releases. I wouldn't pay to see them at the cinema so they would getting extra revenue from me, but there will be those that would have went, instead paying the cheaper rate and watching it at home.

I enjoy a run out to the pictures once or twice a year, if that. Streaming and the internet is taking over the world it seems....

I still think there'll be a market for
smaller venues. Lots of people like the social appeal of the pictures.
Not for me like.

I still think there'll be a market for
smaller venues. Lots of people like the social appeal of the pictures.
Not for me like.

i think there is a market for it. I am just starting to think if the big hitters go to the streaming services at the same time the market won't be big enough to sustain the venues.

Yes. I love going to the cinema, everything is better on the big screen(just my opinion!)
Go to the Tyneside Cinema quite a bit, or did, as the seats are marvellous and you can sit with a pint. Great stuff.

Yes. I love going to the cinema, everything is better on the big screen(just my opinion!)
Go to the Tyneside Cinema quite a bit, or did, as the seats are marvellous and you can sit with a pint. Great stuff.

yea i agree, watching avatar on the massive imax screen is loads better than my 47" TV. But the fact the first film that popped into my head like that is over 10 years old says enough.

yea i agree, watching avatar on the massive imax screen is loads better than my 47" TV. But the fact the first film that popped into my head like that is over 10 years old says enough.
I really didn’t like that film! I go a lot as we all like Star Wars, Marvel etc and it’s something we have always done as a family.

Would much rather watch a decent series now like. Can’t say I’d miss the cinema can’t remember the last time I went to one

If the movie makers can hit a wider audience and make more money then they ll stream.

Never seen the point of going to the cinema- I can wait for the film and it’s hardly a banging social event.

Tyn
Just going to the Tyneside is an occasion itself
Coming out in the dark around this time of year used to feel as though you were in New York
Xmas lights , shops lit up, the buzz around the streets

Tyn

Just going to the Tyneside is an occasion itself
Coming out in the dark around this time of year used to feel as though you were in New York
Xmas lights , shops lit up, the buzz around the streets
Last time I was there we watched The Lighthouse, weird as hell film but sat in the big velvet chair drinking my pint of cider(classy I know) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love all the pink shit too!

If the movie makers can hit a wider audience and make more money then they ll stream.

Never seen the point of going to the cinema- I can wait for the film and it’s hardly a banging social event.

yea apart from sitting next to someone you know it's not really a social event. I'd say sitting watching a film as a family in the living room with some snacks on a table in the middle where you can talk about it is more social. Obviously with the issue of being asking 1000 questions about what's going on, or being a film one person wants to watch where others don't, they tend to keep quieter in the cinema than at home.

Hopefully this will give opportunities for smaller independent films to get some cinema time. I love going to the cinema - massive flat seats at odeon, tray of nachos and recently a beer. But by the time you factor in 5 tickets, ice blasts etc. It’s an expensive night out but then again what isn’t these days. For us it’s likely once a quarter as a family.

Shop from home
Cinema at home
Drink at home
Can’t see any problems with that
Q

I see a big problem with that. If most of us work remotely, shop from home, stream films, date and shop online, drink solitarily from our sofas after buying a case of tequila online, only eat takeaway, etc. what will we become?
I'm not a particularly social animal by nature, but pubs are possibly the best cultural offering we have in these British Isles. I love a trip to the cinema or theatre too - they add colour and interest to my otherwise banal life.

It's just occurred to me that the last time I went to the cinema was 2015. If I wanted the cinema experience I could burn £20, not hoover my carpets for twelve months and play a cassette tape of someone eating crisps for two hours.

Major cinema releases are all arse-numbing three hour superhero affairs for fatties with a bedroom full of funko pops.

Last edited:

Back