The difference a good manager can make

Portsmouth promoterd as Champions of L1. They have been up there all season . Their manager Mousinho's first full season as a manager. He had games back end of last season to get to know his squad etc. Who ever spotted and appointed him did well.

Managers will always look into the short term
Why would a manager be looking at players for 3-4 years time. Why would a manager be caring about a clubs finances in 3-4 yrs time?most managers
The average manager over all 4 divisions lasts 11 months .
Managers don't look at long term and that's why it's ludicrous that managers have autonomy in transfers
That's the football and fiscal disaster
Sorry mate but thats sorta true except the ludicrous thing....you have to assemble the best team you can for the season in front of you and the best person to do this is the manager/coach ...then start tinkering with succession to the team going forward...its an ongoing process but the squad for the season your playing must take priority..............we appear to be buying players on the cheap like cans of beans with the hope the manager/coach can fit them in to a squad........its nonsense and will never work at our level !......it should work with the coach identifying strengths and weaknesses in the ongoing squad and speakmen trying to acquire the types of players the coach wants with the owner and speakman controlling the fiscal side ...speakman appears to be identifying young players at the bottom of their value ark..end of contract,frees and big club cast offs ect ... attracting them with jam tomorrow like some sort of child catcher and presenting them to the coach to polish .the footballing side is overlooked for the fiscal side and until that changes i fear more beige seasons to come and on and on...its a fiscally sound model if your selling beans but footy aint beans!

Sorry mate but thats sorta true except the ludicrous thing....you have to assemble the best team you can for the season in front of you and the best person to do this is the manager/coach ...then start tinkering with succession to the team going forward...its an ongoing process but the squad for the season your playing must take priority..............we appear to be buying players on the cheap like cans of beans with the hope the manager/coach can fit them in to a squad........its nonsense and will never work at our level !......it should work with the coach identifying strengths and weaknesses in the ongoing squad and speakmen trying to acquire the types of players the coach wants with the owner and speakman controlling the fiscal side ...speakman appears to be identifying young players at the bottom of their value ark..end of contract,frees and big club cast offs ect ... attracting them with jam tomorrow like some sort of child catcher and presenting them to the coach to polish .the footballing side is overlooked for the fiscal side and until that changes i fear more beige seasons to come and on and on...its a fiscally sound model if your selling beans but footy aint beans!
My belief was always their first strategy was how to compete with clubs in the championship who have players worth millions - eg Bristol city selling Scott for 25 mil so have 25 mil to spend on players. Cov selling gykores and hamer.

And we did that by a scatter gun approach on younguns to add value to the squad.
This has worked - our squad far more valuable and if we sell Clarke for 20 mil can compete at the top end of the championship on transfers.

The next stage has to be (I hope) getting players in who are better. I'm fairly sure if we sell Clarke for 20 mil we won't be buying players who have hardly any experience for 1 mil or so and instead getting players with a but for 5-6 mil.
We will see - but I reiterate , managers should never have autonomy on transfers - that is ludicrous
Some input aye but not total control

Last edited:

Back