• Yes

Votes: 88 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 134 60.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Death penalty for misspelling and sebs, otherwise no

Will have to wait till after Brexit but then no-one could stop you I guess.

:(

I bought a book yonks ago called Tough Times & Grisly Crimes - A History of Crime in Northumberland and County Durham. It has all sorts of horrible stories from the area from times gone by and one thing I remember most vividly from reading it is how public 'public executions' were a hundred and some years ago. It attracted hundreds and sometimes thousands of spectators. I wouldn't want to watch that let alone have the job of actually doing it.
Shit man, I got that book for my dad a few years ago. Didn't read more than a few pages of it myself.

Yes, only for cases of premeditated murder where absolute proof has been obtained (ie a mixture of proof where possible including : DNA, fingerprints, correct timelines, witnesses, CCTV, phone evidence / triangulation, fibre testing / proof someone had been somewhere at a specific time due to transference etc....................every avenue exhausted so there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE OF A MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE / INNOCENT PEOPLE BEING PUT TO DEATH). So say for example Ian Brady, he should get the death penalty due to there being witnesses to his crimes and audio / photographic evidence of him raping and murdering Lesley Ann Downey etc - DNA wasn't even required etc).
Give me enough time and money and I can fake all of that.

Last edited:
Shit man, I got that book for my dad a few years ago. Didn't read more than a few pages of it myself.

Give me enough time and money and I can fake all of that.
If the death penalty was hanging over someone, I'd expect a "good apple / non corrupt entity" would disprove your notion ;).

Will have to wait till after Brexit but then no-one could stop you I guess.

:(

I bought a book yonks ago called Tough Times & Grisly Crimes - A History of Crime in Northumberland and County Durham. It has all sorts of horrible stories from the area from times gone by and one thing I remember most vividly from reading it is how public 'public executions' were a hundred and some years ago. It attracted hundreds and sometimes thousands of spectators. I wouldn't want to watch that let alone have the job of actually doing it.
I think it would be great - watching scumbags being hanged on a Sunday afternoon on the village green.

When we had it we very very rarely used it. So, yes, maybe. I have my reservations and am open to persuasion but at the moment it's a yes.

It all depends how you look at really.

You could argue that murderers and the likes, the type of people that commit heinous crimes, are mentally unwell and therefore can't really be held truly responsible for their actions.

I'm not talking about just one off spur of the moment type murderers, I mean the Ted Bundys, and Harold Shipmans of this world, seriously deranged people.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the actions of these types of people, but you have to question if they really could actually help what they do/did.

I personally just don't think it's as cut and dry as some people would have you believe, and that's one of the reasons I'm against the death penalty.

Yes. What is the point in keeping those on "life means life" tariffs alive?

I don't buy in to the argument that it's the easy way out and they'll suffer more by going to jail.

If you end their life, they have their freedom removed completely. Give them a life sentence and they'll be without freedom for 20-30 years. If an 18 year old kills someone, they'll more than likely be out by time they're 40 and have more than half of their life to enjoy.

If you kill someone, you deserve to die

Any idea what the average length of time is between sentencing and the sentence being carried out? It's years.

With someone like Shipman it would probably have taken no time at all, but he took the cowards way out and killed himself.

Isn't that just in the US though? When we had capital punishment, sure it was carried out within a month or two

High Treason. And even that law has probably been repealed by now
Aye. 1998. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason_in_the_United_Kingdom

Death penalty for misspelling and sebs, otherwise no
Wonky horizons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back