The cleverness of dogs

Hi Mods. I accidentally put this into Parsnip. No replies. Please feel free to merge or whatever. Post #3084 in "Idele Chit Chat"

I have an amazing dog. A beautiful Beauceron. We have been together since he was 4 weeks old. I grabbed him from his breeder when I saw blood on Ragnar's back from being beaten.

My vet got a milk mother for him and I took him into clean, clear life, bathing away his injuries. For 4 years I brought him up on on my farm in France, a pastoral dog who does sheep, cattle, goats and (reluctantlly) bullocks. I love him, he loves me. We are pals and he is a significant part of my family. he always obays the few commands I need to give him and is a big, gentle, kind creature.

When I am here in the UK, which is often, I do him a 15 mile walk every day. He loves it and is always obedient. He is seven and a half now. We are bound together.

Last Sunday, after an 18 mile walk we were outside the Law courts on the NCL Quayside at 23:30. He suddenly sprinted off. I ran after him but fell away. The Quayside was deserted. I walked it until about 04:45 searching for him. Saw policemen who refused to help. Nobody else. I walked back up to my daughter's place in West Jesmond with a heart like lead and tears on my face. Got to bed about 05:15. No hope of any sleep. I was devastated.

Called the obvious numbers at 09:00. No real help but lots of kindness.

Sat on the sofa, numb, in despair.

At 10:30 I thought I might have heard a bark. Went to the door. There was a filthy, nervous, trembling Ragnar with the biggest smile I have seen on him.

Now my boy is recovered, relaxed and rested.

How in the hell did he find his way to his second home? At least partly through the rush hour?

Dogs are clever.
I have a Pug. Very loving but thick as pigs shit. If I put him in next doors garden he would struggle to find his way home :D

Dogs are really smart alright:

It's like pugs were bred for their stupidity :lol:

Last edited:
My dog wasn't that clever.

One day I was doing some work on my car in the garage and had syphoned a load of petrol into a bucket.

Next thing I hear a slurping noise and dog had drunk the lot. He started running round in circles in the garden for about 5 minutes before keeling over.

I rushed him to the vets and said is he dead.

He replied "no he's just run out of petrol"

Clever things my dog did today:

Lost the ability to walk because a strand of grass was stuck (loosely) in his tail fur.

Barked at a football for 10 minutes before working out that he could get at it by walking around the goal.

My dog wasn't that clever.

One day I was doing some work on my car in the garage and had syphoned a load of petrol into a bucket.

Next thing I hear a slurping noise and dog had drunk the lot. He started running round in circles in the garden for about 5 minutes before keeling over.

I rushed him to the vets and said is he dead.

He replied "no he's just run out of petrol"
Is your dog thick or Joe Pasquale?

Mine plays football with my lad but won’t play unless he holds something in his mouth. Thus plays with his paws.
Funny to watch, improving and two footed.

Been off bucking.
When I was a kid I had a little mongrel called 'Jess' who not only would sometimes disappear for days bucking when a bitch was on heat, he also loved to carry bricks and rocks, the bigger the better.
He never turned back up with a rock or brick though. Probably too knackered after days of bucking.

When I was a kid I had a little mongrel called 'Jess' who not only would sometimes disappear for days bucking when a bitch was on heat, he also loved to carry bricks and rocks, the bigger the better.
He never turned back up with a rock or brick though. Probably too knackered after days of bucking.
Just like his owner TB mate :cool:

Dogs are really smart alright:

You got a problem wit me like m8?

Just like his owner TB mate :cool:

You got a problem wit me like m8?
He was top dog of the street. We had a big field between us and the house's opposite. He used to sit on the top front step step, scanning!!! And if any strange dog, no matter how big it was, wandered into the street, even on the opposite side, he was off, running them out of town.:cool:

Back