the chinese are lying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that China were supposed to have closed the problem wet markets after sars1 15 or so years ago.....

uk not always perfect though mad cow disease caused by farmers feeding cows food containing cow.....

So when do you think it actually started then?

Before they said it did.
I read that China were supposed to have closed the problem wet markets after sars1 15 or so years ago.....

Reopened them a few months later.

uk not always perfect though mad cow disease caused by farmers feeding cows food containing cow.....

Last edited:
From my - somewhat limited - understanding of the aetiology of COVID-19, the culture that led to the creation and continuation of the wet markets is what increases the likelihood of zoonotic pandemics, which would lead me to think that it is the eating of these animals that allows the conditions to exist.

You may well be right but everything else is a risk. It's not a western thing but a major issue with pigs and also domestic birds is that many cultures both eat them and live with them, vastly increasing the chance of a virus crossing over. TBH, one of the things that most virologists are amazed by is that it's a coronavirus that's caused a successful pandemic as they seemed to be under control.

You may well be right but everything else is a risk. It's not a western thing but a major issue with pigs and also domestic birds is that many cultures both eat them and live with them, vastly increasing the chance of a virus crossing over. TBH, one of the things that most virologists are amazed by is that it's a coronavirus that's caused a successful pandemic as they seemed to be under control.

Indeed, many theories about the Spanish Flu settle on it coming from pigs in North America.

I think a lot of people assumed it would have been a flu pandemic, though I suppose in the grand scheme of things whilst this is a global pandemic of significant scale, it's not going to have a mortality rate anything like the Spanish Flu...thank god

Very true. Swine flu originated in Mexico (on a US industrialised pig 'farm' which gets through hundreds of thousands of pigs a year) and had its precursor in the US in the pig industry. One of the possible origins (it's disputed) of the 1918 flu was in Kansas, on a chicken farm. Not saying there's not a big problem in China, but zoonotic diseases aren't just a function of wet markets.

Indeed, many theories about the Spanish Flu settle on it coming from pigs in North America.

Ha, snap (see reply to @Arkle). But I read chickens.

There's an interesting speculation in this about small-scale farming moving out to what was traditionally 'wild' land leading to exposure to a richer viral fauna and a greater chance of cross-over with a diminished likelihood of resistance, as it's novel. No idea if it's true, but it's interesting.

I think a lot of people assumed it would have been a flu pandemic, though I suppose in the grand scheme of things whilst this is a global pandemic of significant scale, it's not going to have a mortality rate anything like the Spanish Flu...thank god

Hopefully not. My worry is that it hits Africa big time. As an aside, Spanish flu came in three waves, an initial small one, the major killer and then a big "aftershock". I'm not sure the first one is appropriate but we have to be prepared for at least one major outbreak after it seems to be under control.

Ha, snap (see reply to @Arkle). But I read chickens.

There's an interesting speculation in this about small-scale farming moving out to what was traditionally 'wild' land leading to exposure to a richer viral fauna and a greater chance of cross-over with a diminished likelihood of resistance, as it's novel. No idea if it's true, but it's interesting.

You may find the video 'Americapox' by CGP Grey on YouTube particularly interesting if you are interested in such things. He explores why Europeans brought many diseases with them, but why there were no novel diseases in the Americas.

Hopefully not. My worry is that it hits Africa big time. As an aside, Spanish flu came in three waves, an initial small one, the major killer and then a big "aftershock". I'm not sure the first one is appropriate but we have to be prepared for at least one major outbreak after it seems to be under control.
When winter comes, I expect.

India and Africa are extremely vulnerable. That's going to be a significant worry for the WHO.

There will be further waves, it’s how pandemics progress. This is why life will not get back to being “fully normal” for quite a while. Yes there will be a relaxation of restrictions at times followed by further enforcement. Yes sport etc will resume but behind closed doors, I honestly don’t think we will see any type of mass gatherings for at least a year.

We have to prepare and make sure these further waves are minor. I can see a scenario in 4 months time where people will (naturally) moan that restrictions are still in place even though cases have dropped, but we are going to have to realise that the reason cases have dropped isbecause these restrictions are in place.

But, both are omnivorous/carnivorous. Both present a significant risk when eaten if the right/wrong circumstances come together. TBH, I'm not convinced that eating bats (or pangolins or whatever) is the issue as much as living in close proximity to them is.
Deer could be the next big scary one apparently.
Chronic wasting disease if that makes the jump.
Potential huge problem in USA and Canada.

India and Africa are extremely vulnerable. That's going to be a significant worry for the WHO.
Countries with bad infrastructure/resources/organisation will be crippled by this IMO. There’s a leader in this week’s Economist about poor countries and the virus. Bleak stuff

Massive. One of their problems, speaking from experience of working on a WHO grant in the past, is that they can tend to be all mouth and no financial trousers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back