the chinese are lying

Not necessarily, what you have to remember is this:

1) people die of other things too. Around the world people die everyday for various causes, lockdown or not that's going to continue. Coronavirus is not the only reason people die is it?

2) Hospitals strained at overcapacity cannot help other patients, therefore more people die of other things too at the same time because they can't get support.

This is a phenomenon that appears to be unreported not just for China, but anywhere. Soon we will see it soon enough.

I spoke to an Iranian taxi driver in London a month ago and he told me that the situation in Iran was far worse than the government were telling the world.

That's undoubtedly true. A mate of mine travelled around Iran a few years ago and thought the people were amongst the friendliest and most welcoming he'd met but the government weren't quite the same and that was during a time of less hardline government than they have now. Beautiful country apparently.

That's undoubtedly true. A mate of mine travelled around Iran a few years ago and thought the people were amongst the friendliest and most welcoming he'd met but the government weren't quite the same and that was during a time of less hardline government than they have now. Beautiful country apparently.
Aye, the taxi driver was spot on. Poor bloke was really worried for his family, although he said they were in a pretty remote place so they weren’t that worried. I hope they’re all ok.

Once the political situation calms down it’s right at the top of my countries to visit. As you say, I’ve heard only positive things about the people and scenery.

I mean...it kind of is though, isn't it?

From a purely practical point of view, pigs can't fly away. They're domesticated farm animals that happen to taste delicious. We have them in abundance.

Bats are...difficult to contain.

But, both are omnivorous/carnivorous. Both present a significant risk when eaten if the right/wrong circumstances come together. TBH, I'm not convinced that eating bats (or pangolins or whatever) is the issue as much as living in close proximity to them is.

But, both are omnivorous/carnivorous. Both present a significant risk when eaten if the right/wrong circumstances come together. TBH, I'm not convinced that eating bats (or pangolins or whatever) is the issue as much as living in close proximity to them is.

From my - somewhat limited - understanding of the aetiology of COVID-19, the culture that led to the creation and continuation of the wet markets is what increases the likelihood of zoonotic pandemics, which would lead me to think that it is the eating of these animals that allows the conditions to exist.

You do realise that people can still die of causes other than coronavirus?

This is one of the implicit things about the current crisis that I'm not sure everyone realises. Strokes, cancer, heart attacks, malaria etc. are still killing at the same rate as they were. This goes on top of them. The people not listening to government advice about social distancing may not be endangering anyone they know directly (for many people, the situation is irrelevant until it affects them) but it may delay their grandad's cancer treatment, may mean that when Uncle Duncan has a heart attack there isn't an ambulance available, may mean that when cousin Maureen goes into labour, and it's not straightforward, the help she would expect isn't there.

Back