The Championship is a "bubble waiting to burst"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've survived our own little bubble bursting, Bolton have just scraped by & Bury aren't looking good at all. Relegation now doesn't just mean playing in another division, for some clubs it means total liquidation.

Hopefully we've learnt our lesson and never again spunk millions, unless it's abundantly clear that the player is actually worth his value - Marcus Madison for example.

SAFC used to have links with Durham Uni teams, notably Collingwood college who have about 15 full teams of 18-22ish year olds; some play for Seaham, Spenny, shields etc. I'd bloody well bet that SD or PP have never even heard of the place let alone scouted players from there.

That's football for you isn't it, lose money getting into a league where you can't hope to compete so you just lose more money to stay at the party and get to sit next to the big teams at dinner time.

Pointless

There'll be less than 80 league clubs in 10 years imo.
Six gone into Europe, Premier League of 16, Championship of 16, First Division of 20. That's it, rest part time. Lower teams won't be able to run financialy full time, even most First Division teams will be run on a shoestring.

That's the reality now. We can operate sustainably as a L1 club as long as we don't trouble the promotion places as we can always do what the other shit teams do and sign a dozen short term journeymen on £2k/week every summer. There appears to be no plan to exit L1 with ambition to compete in the Championship other than to flog the club.

I can only think Donald is happy with this scenario and hopes Parkinson will get them up with those £2k/week players without him incurring any personal debt. The fly in the ointment for him is how many supporters will give up on the club if we continue in this league. A 10k drop equates to around £4m a season. That's probably the difference between being sustainable or not.
volunteer to pay more for your season tickets then if they get into the championship.

That's the reality now. We can operate sustainably as a L1 club as long as we don't trouble the promotion places as we can always do what the other shit teams do and sign a dozen short term journeymen on £2k/week every summer. There appears to be no plan to exit L1 with ambition to compete in the Championship other than to flog the club.

I can only think Donald is happy with this scenario and hopes Parkinson will get them up with those £2k/week players without him incurring any personal debt. The fly in the ointment for him is how many supporters will give up on the club if we continue in this league. A 10k drop equates to around £4m a season. That's probably the difference between being sustainable or not.
With the size of the stadium and the AOL to run, our overheads are pretty large even before you consider the players.

Six gone into Europe, Premier League of 16, Championship of 16, First Division of 20. That's it, rest part time. Lower teams won't be able to run financialy full time, even most First Division teams will be run on a shoestring.
Europe only league won't happen. Fans of these clubs need to finish at or near the top of their leagues.

The money in football is not relative to real money. We are suffering from it, the income from selling shirts for £50, tickets for £20, and everything else is so far behind the wages, agents fees, signing on fees, transfer fees etc. The only way you can survive is with PL TV money, and theres 72 teams who dont get it.

The money in football is not relative to real money. We are suffering from it, the income from selling shirts for £50, tickets for £20, and everything else is so far behind the wages, agents fees, signing on fees, transfer fees etc. The only way you can survive is with PL TV money, and theres 72 teams who dont get it.
Yes and people are thinking the fans can run the club. Well yes they can but we would never be competing in the top 2 leagues with the financial situation with the Sky tv money available to the Premiership league and the Championship.

I've said for years that there should be a "Premier league 2" with two leagues of 20 teams each and the prize money shared equally between the 40 clubs with no parachute payments between the two leagues and smaller than current parachute payments for clubs which drop into L1 and L2.

You wouldn’t share it equally, the top level deserves more, but it would indeed be a way to smooth the drop from the first to second tier and in turn the third (which would still be a huge gap but not like what it is now).

But I don’t know how you could make it happen, the big clubs are just so powerful.

Last edited:
We've survived our own little bubble bursting, Bolton have just scraped by & Bury aren't looking good at all. Relegation now doesn't just mean playing in another division, for some clubs it means total liquidation.

Hopefully we've learnt our lesson and never again spunk millions, unless it's abundantly clear that the player is actually worth his value - Marcus Madison for example.

SAFC used to have links with Durham Uni teams, notably Collingwood college who have about 15 full teams of 18-22ish year olds; some play for Seaham, Spenny, shields etc. I'd bloody well bet that SD or PP have never even heard of the place let alone scouted players from there.
Have we survived though?
You wouldn’t share it equally, the top level deserves more, but it would indeed be a way to smooth the drop from the first to second tier and in turn the third (which would still be a huge gap but not like what it is now).

But I don’t know how you could make it happen, the big clubs are just so powerful.
Two equal strength leagues ala US sports with playoffs n grande finale perhaps? TV and media would love it.

Last edited:

I nearly gave you a like till you mentioned Maddison. Given the price tag Peterborough are flashing about, Maddison is not worth that.
Free transfer in the summer? Maybe, but only if his wage demands match his playing level rather than his ego.

Loads will probably go bust eventually and that'll be the excuse to "top it up" with Premier League B/ U23 teams, with the PL sides paying a bit more for the privilege which the remaining sides will pretty much have to accept, can see it coming a mile off
This is what should happen tbh. They should allow the U23 teams to start at the bottom of the ladder and climb. The only rule being they can meet their senior team.
The rich clubs will just get stronger, but that’s already dead in the water.

They say a footballers life is a short one and it is.
They also say they get paid the money they do because of this short life.
It's as if they simply die at the end of their playing career.
Nothing would stop them getting a job outside of that, you don't particularly need super skills for most jobs that pay basic minimum wage and most people are on just that.

One player on 5 grand a week will earn a quarter of a million a season.
I'm sure that caters for the average championship wages, does it?

So for a decent player to have a regular career spanning 20 years, you could say they start on a few hundred a week and finish on 5 grand a week. I'm keeping it to bare bones here.
Let's average it out at 3 grand a week throughout that 20 year playing career.

So £150,000 a year times by 20 years is 3 million earned for a few hours a day training and the odd hour or two around the club or on weights or eating or actually playing in a match.

Let's equate that to a top uk surgeon who would likely earn £100,000 a year for working 12 or more hours?
Not only would that be a stressful job, you literally hold a person's life in your skilled hands and are at the mercy of consequences should you mess up.
That surgeon may work for 40 years but will have spend many a year training on way lower money, so let's average it out at £70,000 a year times by the 40 years and you get 2.8 million for 40 years working 12 hours a day...likely minimum.

Now let's equate all that down to the good old working person. The backbone of the country and taking out the super billionaires and lottery winners, etc, we can see a national average wage probably closer to about 30,000 a year. Am I close do you think?
Let's go to £40,000 so there's no argument.

However we have to start off in the same vein where the start of a career will yield much less per year. So let's get back to an average of £30,000 which, if you argue a working lifespan of say, 45....50 years, for the sake of it?
50 years at £30,000 a year equals a nice £1.5 million.

The sad thing is, if you look at individual people, some are lucky to earn £12,000 a year or even less.

Now let's start spewing up when we look at the premier league....or let's not.
The game is sickening with all this madness.

If the greedy were banished and we got back to grass roots, you'd see loyalty and effort once again...and all for a decent wage and the privilege of playing for their club.
These pampered fooks make me sick.

I nearly gave you a like till you mentioned Maddison. Given the price tag Peterborough are flashing about, Maddison is not worth that.
Free transfer in the summer? Maybe, but only if his wage demands match his playing level rather than his ego.
I was thinking about the £2.5m release clause value for MM & I wouldn't pay more. If you were thinking of a higher figure then you owe me a like, like.

They're higher than the turnover of some L1 clubs. We might have the highest income - in reality we're not actually that much better off because of the cost of our infrastructure.
Really GOM. Is it that much different now our squad is certainly L1 standard.

Really GOM. Is it that much different now our squad is certainly L1 standard.

The AoL and SoL come with a lot of fixed costs it's difficult to do much about. When Donald bought the club we had non-wage overheads of around £20m. Whilst they'll undoubtedly have made inroads to that number, stuff like business rates, policing costs and such stuff are hard to move short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back