The Championship is a "bubble waiting to burst"

Lord Alfred

Striker
Should please Stewy. Doing his best to keep the club away from that nonsense.

The analysis, conducted with accountants Deloitte and football finance experts Vysyble, found:

• Championship sides ran up a record high total of £307m in pre-tax losses in 2017-18
  • Despite the league also bringing in its highest-ever revenue of £749m, overall spending on player and staff wages exceeded clubs' revenue by 11%
  • That gap is expected to widen to an all-time high for 2018-19
  • More than half of clubs are spending more on wages than they make in income.
  • Many teams are recording significant losses over one or two seasons in an attempt to gain promotion to the Premier League.

Yep we are much better off being shit in league 1 for now until that goes bang

That's the reality now. We can operate sustainably as a L1 club as long as we don't trouble the promotion places as we can always do what the other shit teams do and sign a dozen short term journeymen on £2k/week every summer. There appears to be no plan to exit L1 with ambition to compete in the Championship other than to flog the club.

I can only think Donald is happy with this scenario and hopes Parkinson will get them up with those £2k/week players without him incurring any personal debt. The fly in the ointment for him is how many supporters will give up on the club if we continue in this league. A 10k drop equates to around £4m a season. That's probably the difference between being sustainable or not.

The analysis, conducted with accountants Deloitte and football finance experts Vysyble, found:

• Championship sides ran up a record high total of £307m in pre-tax losses in 2017-18
  • Despite the league also bringing in its highest-ever revenue of £749m, overall spending on player and staff wages exceeded clubs' revenue by 11%
  • Many teams are recording significant losses over one or two seasons in an attempt to gain promotion to the Premier League.
Take away the shit storm safc are in at the minute, Stewart Donald did talk about this, in May I think. I still think he had (has) all good intentions, but won’t gamble finically & the decisions made have seen us slip further behind. Maybe seeing these clubs that’s he’s highlighted has scared the shit out of him?

Seems like a huge mess.

That said, I think it can be cracked properly if you have a well thought-out plan relying on home grown players and smart scouting. Easier said than done, of course.
Any decent home grown players are long gone mate, the academy is in a bigger mess than the first team. Proper hatchet job being carried out.

"It can't continue if the model is just having enough billionaire owners to keep funding it - that's a strange, crazy model because there are only so many people you can attract."

Take away the shit storm safc are in at the minute, Stewart Donald did talk about this, in May I think. I still think he had (has) all good intentions, but won’t gamble finically & the decisions made have seen us slip further behind. Maybe seeing these clubs that’s he’s highlighted has scared the shit out of him?

That's a fair analysis but his response to it should have been to put a sustainable long term strategy in place instead of the short term signing of players with no resale value. The suspicion is that he went down the short term route as he never had any intention of being here long term. Unfortunately his strategy has failed and its probably too late for him to recover that situation.

That's a fair analysis but his response to it should have been to put a sustainable long term strategy in place instead of the short term signing of players with no resale value. The suspicion is that he went down the short term route as he never had any intention of being here long term. Unfortunately his strategy has failed and its probably too late for him to recover that situation.
Yeah, I think we looked to get out of this league as cheaply as possible, believing we could do it. It nearly did happen, should have happened. Whether or not we’d have actively put together a team good enough to compete in the championship is another argument, one which I’m sure the majority would laugh at & is pointless now.

I think the decisions made since the play off final have screwed us over. We wanted todo this cheap, failed last year & tried to do it cheaper again, that’s hope, not a plan.

Not in my personality, or belief of the way a football club should be ran, but I think we’re now at the point of having to gamble. Gamble on the next manager (sounds like only Phillips will get the fans back inside, I didn’t want him to replace Ross) & gamble on getting decent players in in January. Problem is, I’m talking about League One here, not the Championship in the OP. What a shit show!

It’s an economic reality of the football structure. Obviously the top division is where the riches should be but to have it so stratospherically far above the second division means this is just inevitable... clubs are going to go all out and some will bust themselves.

Back