The Championship is a "bubble waiting to burst"

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like you’re making quite a few assumptions there.

You’re assuming that while we have a bigger support and income, we have similar outgoings.

I would hazard guess that our operating costs - even with a dramatically trimmed wage bill - would be double, triple or even quadruple most other clubs. Yes a 48k seater stadium is lovely when you’re in the Prem but I imagine it’s a millstone in League 1 when it comes to upkeep

What assumptions am I making. We have bigger overheads and bigger revenue. I'm not suggesting either gives us any advantage or disadvantage over the rest, merely that if cloth is cut to suit we are more than sustainable at L1 level. Indeed you're the one making assumptions suggesting our wage bill would be quadruple the others......why would it be if we choose to not make it so?

There are far less clubs in leagues One and Two making a loss than in the Championship and seeing as NONE of them have our support or income we only have to do what they do to be sustainable. The current L1 leaders are doing OK with a fraction of our budget. I'm not suggesting any of it is desirable or palatable to fans but without a doubt we can, when the last of the high earners move on, be sustainable at this level.
Agreed, ploughing money in and covering losses isn't the panacea at our level. Clubs in league one make the best of what they have which I think exposes SAFC's arrogant approach to life in this division. We've cut the coaching and scouting side of things too deeply and failed to rebuild it quickly enough. Then held the belief that the legacy players we had will do a job regardless of any cohesive strategy.

Suddenly our squad and its much celebrated depth is getting the run around of teams with about 15 pro's on the books, partly because we have too many players of the same type in the wrong end of their career. Sustainability is unpalatable, but we could've plucked someone from non league for £35k who would've given us the same return as Grigg.

Some clubs in the championship are well run
Brentford
Preston
Millwall
Boro
Even my lot QPR have got themselves sorted now with good recruiting and selling on players

The likes of Derby, Sheff wed, Birmingham , Forest , are the ones who must be shitting it
I mean How are derby still splashing cash when they haven’t even been promoted it’s mystifying ,

Sale and leaseback of Pride Park. EFL are investigating that.

What assumptions am I making. We have bigger overheads and bigger revenue. I'm not suggesting either gives us any advantage or disadvantage over the rest, merely that if cloth is cut to suit we are more than sustainable at L1 level. Indeed you're the one making assumptions suggesting our wage bill would be quadruple the others......why would it be if we choose to not make it so?

I didn’t at any time say the wage bill would be quadruple the others - I said our operating costs are likely to be (because we have that whopping big stadium and impressive academy that are very likely to cost a fortune to maintain).

the assumption you’re making is that our operating costs will be be lower than income . I can’t possibly see how you would know that.

You’re also assuming we can trim the wage bill and replace the current players with enough quality to stay in League 1, all while saving money. The evidence - every single signing we’ve made under this regime - would point to the exact opposite.

You’re assuming the disparity between OC and income is greater and more favourable than the likes of the other big clubs that found themselves in this league - City, Leeds, etc - who certainly weren’t sustainable.

I could go on.

Some clubs in the championship are well run
Brentford
Preston
Millwall
Boro
Even my lot QPR have got themselves sorted now with good recruiting and selling on players

The likes of Derby, Sheff wed, Birmingham , Forest , are the ones who must be shitting it
I mean How are derby still splashing cash when they haven’t even been promoted it’s mystifying ,

Brentford are very interesting. They dispensed with a reserve team and an academy and put their faith in good recruitment. While we were signing the 29 year old has been James Vaughan in the Championship Brentford were signing Neal Maupay from France for £1.6m who they sold after one season for £20m and Ollie Watkins a 21 year old from Exeter who is looking like a quality player who will make them a good profit when they sell him.
I didn’t at any time say the wage bill would be quadruple the others - I said our operating costs are likely to be (because we have that whopping big stadium and impressive academy that are very likely to cost a fortune to maintain).

the assumption you’re making is that our operating costs will be be lower than income . I can’t possibly see how you would know that.

You’re also assuming we can trim the wage bill and replace the current players with enough quality to stay in League 1, all while saving money. The evidence - every single signing we’ve made under this regime - would point to the exact opposite.

You’re assuming the disparity between OC and income is greater and more favourable than the likes of the other big clubs that found themselves in this league - City, Leeds, etc - who certainly weren’t sustainable.

I could go on.

Yes, you don't half go on. :rolleyes:

It is a fact that SAFC can do exactly what the other teams in L1 do ie sign cheap players on short term deals with a manager who's used to that sort of arrangement. Our cost base will always be higher as you say but our income should always be higher than all but the odd "big" club (say Stoke) who may drop down into L1.

It's not about whether Donald can do it, I'm saying the club itself can easily be sustainable IF it cuts it cloth to suit L1.

Last edited:
Brentford are very interesting. They dispensed with a reserve team and an academy and put their faith in good recruitment. While we were signing the 29 year old has been James Vaughan in the Championship Brentford were signing Neal Maupay from France for £1.6m who they sold after one season for £20m and Ollie Watkins a 21 year old from Exeter who is looking like a quality player who will make them a good profit when they sell him.

Yes, you don't half go on. :rolleyes:

It is a fact that SAFC can do exactly what the other teams in L1 do ie sign cheap players on short term deals with a manager who's used to that sort of arrangement. Our cost base will always be higher as you say but our income should always be higher than all but the odd "big" club (say Stoke) who may drop down into L1.

It's not about whether Donald can do it, I'm saying the club itself can easily be sustainable IF it cuts it cloth to suit L1.

What’s the point of posting on a forum if you get all defensive any time someone challenges your opinion? I was perfectly respectful in all of my replies

I’ll leave it there - you obviously have no interest in reasoned debate.

What’s the point of posting on a forum if you get all defensive any time someone challenges your opinion? I was perfectly respectful in all of my replies

I’ll leave it there - you obviously have no interest in reasoned debate.

:lol: :lol: Behave yersel lad. I'm enjoying it. No need to take the huff.

The whole of football is a mess,Championship sides chasing the gold,the premier league looking to squeeze every penny they can,the football league watching poor owners screw clubs,fans and communities and the FA standing scratching its arse,no new rules or regulations are brought about to make it better for supporters,its all done for TV audiences

Wonder how we'll fair next season once the parachute payments have ended, thinking if it's tight now it may be worse next season with wages and other expenses?

It was actually two seasons they had Maupay for but, yeah, that's the kind of signing you want to make. They've got a very good scouting system on the continent, particularly in France. They signed Said Benrahma from Nice for a similar fee and he'd now go for a lot more. Last summer, they signed a young winger, Bryan Mbeumo, from Troyes and he's scored 7 goals from out wide thus far. Also, got a strong Danish element to the squad, thanks to the head coach.

Said it before we went into the playoffs this is the league SD wants us in and an average crowd of 25k and more for 'big' games !

Agree with this, almost as if the strategy is to make us a comfortable league 1 team and not have silly ideas above our station. Huge risk of us just popping....

It was actually two seasons they had Maupay for but, yeah, that's the kind of signing you want to make. They've got a very good scouting system on the continent, particularly in France. They signed Said Benrahma from Nice for a similar fee and he'd now go for a lot more. Last summer, they signed a young winger, Bryan Mbeumo, from Troyes and he's scored 7 goals from out wide thus far. Also, got a strong Danish element to the squad, thanks to the head coach.

Two good players Mbeumo and Benfahma. I've enjoyed watching Brentford when they've been on TV. At the end of the day it's all about the players you bring to the club and we've brought a right rancid assortment in.

That's a fair analysis but his response to it should have been to put a sustainable long term strategy in place instead of the short term signing of players with no resale value. The suspicion is that he went down the short term route as he never had any intention of being here long term. Unfortunately his strategy has failed and its probably too late for him to recover that situation.
Nail hit on head there LA.

Instead of looking at over spending to get promoted to the Premier League the FA needs to be looking at under spending and getting relegated to League One.

Clubs who UNDER spend almost seem as likely to go into serious problems as those who OVER spend. Look at us. Do you think we are here because Ellis Short over spent? It says on the BBC website we over spent to the tune of £19.9m for the 17'-18' season which I don't see how. Of those clubs only one other isn't in the Premier League or The Championship. Ipswich Town. Look where they are now. Two of the eighteen are in the Premier League now. Aston Villa and Wolves. The rest are in the Championship. How come we are the 9th having spent as little as we have lately? And what does it say about us and how badly we are run that every other club who over spent last season are doing well yet we are 11th in League 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back