The Big Bang

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think it is more likely that a greater being created the universe? Doesn't that just push the question back another step and make it even more difficult to answer, since the creator must be more complicated than his creation?

Maybe it's more likely we just don't understand yet, and perhaps never will, but a far simpler explanation is the correct one. That's where my money would be.

I do believe there is a greater power or intelligence who has started things off.

Everything is just too big for it to have started from literally nothing imo.

All of this exoplanet work and discoveries just blows my mind. I do think we are looking at the physical things in the universe in the same way that a caveman would look at a modern car without the keys to start it. He would open and close the doors, look in the mirror, stick his finger in the lighter socket but wouldn't have a clue how it all works.

I do believe there is a greater power or intelligence who has started things off.

All of this exoplanet work and discoveries just blows my mind. I do think we are looking at the physical things in the universe in the same way that a caveman would look at a modern car without the keys to start it. He would open and close the doors, look in the mirror, stick his finger in the lighter socket but wouldn't have a clue how it all works.

Where did the greater power or intelligence come from ? According to you it can't have come from nothing. How did it become intelligent without Sunderland Uni or the SMB to learn from ?

A question where I don't think we will know the answer for thousands of years. Every opinion on this is as valid as the next as we literally have no clue.

There's currently no way of knowing what if anything existed past the Planck Time.
The best current theory is that there was a Singularity which is a point in space where space has no dimensions.
The only two possible states are Nonexistence and Existence. If you accept that Existence cannot come from Nonexistence then Existence is a necessary and constant state and the Universe has always existed but changes form.

Wish I hadn't smoked that joint earlier, took me 5 minutes to read that.

I meant the GPOHI

It doesn't exist.

Smack Dragons: Gasking’s Proof for the Non-Existence of God

Gaskings Argument

1. The creation of the world is the most marvellous achievement imaginable.
2. The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
3. The greater the disability or handicap of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
4. The most formidable handicap for a creator would be non-existence.
5. Therefore, if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator, we can conceive a greater being—namely, one who created everything while not existing.
6. An existing God, therefore, would not be a being than which a greater cannot be conceived, because an even more formidable and incredible creator would be a God which did not exist.
7. (Hence) God does not exist.

It doesn't exist.

Gaskings Argument

2. The merit of an achievement is the product of (a) its intrinsic quality, and (b) the ability of its creator.
3. The greater the disability or handicap of the creator, the more impressive the achievement.
5. Therefore, if we suppose that the universe is the product of an existent creator, we can conceive a greater being—namely, one who created everything while not existing.
6. An existing God, therefore, would not be a being than which a greater cannot be conceived, because an even more formidable and incredible creator would be a God which did not exist.

I prefer this explanation

`I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.
`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book, "Well, That about Wraps It Up for God."

It doesn't exist.

Gaskings Argument

I don't think anyone can say 100% at this stage.

It's all about Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and quantum mechanics. You start with nothing; from that you can get two equal and opposite atoms suddenly existing, the whole system still equals zero (or as near as can be). The big bang was this on a grand scale.

This idea goes on to explain why scientists are convinced there's tonnes of dark matter lurking about the universe that we don't know about. It's what is supposed to be the opposite of the universe we can see.

I actually agree with our last point. The caveman would also invent an answer like a god created it all. Christianity comes from a set of Bronze Age writings and beliefs. I am just incredulous that people still believe all of that shit today.

I suppose it's an easier answer though to something people don't understand. "I don't understand XYZ therefore god did it". You're certainly not the only person with such beliefs.

It's all about Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and quantum mechanics.
What is? :lol:

This idea goes on to explain why scientists are convinced there's tonnes of dark matter lurking about the universe that we don't know about. It's what is supposed to be the opposite of the universe we can see.
No, we're convinced that there is Dark Matter because when we study other Galaxies their outer edges are spinning at the same rate as the centre of the Galaxy, implying that there is a lot more Gravity there than what we can account for with normal matter. We've invented the term "Dark Matter" just to be able to give the phenomena a label, but we haven't the slighest clue what the fuck is going on. It's nothing to do with Heisenberg, uncertainty, QM, or the big bang tbh.

I don't know where the hell you've gotten that bs from.

Last edited:
That would explain things perfectly. I wonder what the positive/negative universes are like.

Well they reckon that just after the big bang that Matter and Anti Matter kind of fought it out and there was slightly more Matter so it "won" but they also reckon that if Anti Matter had won the Universe would look no different. The whole idea is just made for f***ing with your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back