The ‘will selling Charlie Wyke to a promotion rival come back to haunt us’ thread.

I really hope you are right my concern is if he is our 1st choice forward will he cope with the pressure I know at 24 he isn't considered a young player/prospect anymore but for someone who hasn't scored more than 12 league goals in a season before and only once hit double figures in the league (that was in Scottish League one) to suddenly score/assist 20 plus goals in a season is one hell of a jump.

It happens mate. Stewart has goals in him, he was playing on the wing at Ross County for the most part which their fans disagreed with at the time favouring him in the central role but accepting he could still contribute on the wing.

I was going to cite Bent as a example of folk being wrong about goalscorers, he consistently stretched the game by playing on the shoulder which helped no end.

Wyke battled and was consistently our best forward, thats not to say he was good, he wasn't, he is an above average league one forward.

While it was only a friendly against hearts, it was a really interesting set up and in no way could Wyke contribute what Stewart was doing. If Stewart can finish as well as Wyke then we won't miss him.
Bent closed down like mad as well; physically never stopped running the left channel.

- Posters contending he's a stand still and bang merchant?

We'll smesh Wigan home and away and be given the opportunity to give Wyke a load of stick. Can't wait.

Stewart had an assist at the weekend. Stewart will be a better option than Wyke imo. We'll see I guess.
Why would you give the lad a load of stick ?

Because he left for nowt and chose to join Wigan ffs. Are you going to sing his shit chant that's sung in Spanish and clap his name? Sod that.
Whether you like him or not , he has done nothing to deserve stick . If you get an offer tomorrow to massively increase your wages and set you up for the rest of your career , don’t tell me you would turn it down . He’s not like others at the club who downed tools or agitated for a move whilst in contract so abusing him will sound pathetic and will no doubt give him an added incentive to do what we all know he is going to do .

Whether you like him or not , he has done nothing to deserve stick . If you get an offer tomorrow to massively increase your wages and set you up for the rest of your career , don’t tell me you would turn it down . He’s not like others at the club who downed tools or agitated for a move whilst in contract so abusing him will sound pathetic and will no doubt give him an added incentive to do what we all know he is going to do .
This for me. He’s gone.
He won’t get a cheer or any stick from me. Just an ex player. Seemed a decent bloke, and now a passing note in our long history ;)

Wigan narrowly avoided relegation last year, signing people for fees and paying high wages doesn't guarantee you'll be competitive.

Wyke scored a lot of goals last season, the majority of those off one touch. The quality of the delivery we had coming in to him was a massive part of this, hence Mcgeady creating more goals than anyone else in the league despite not playing until December.

For me Wyke meant we could only play one way, as he wasn't the sort to run the channels or get in behind to stretch the defence - this meant nearly all of our threat was from wide areas. Ross Stewart will run the channels and look to get in behind, meaning not only can we be a threat from wide but also pose a genuine threat in behind.
I like your analysis, but I thought Wyke deserved a great deal of credit. His finishing was excellent, at times.

It happens mate. Stewart has goals in him, he was playing on the wing at Ross County for the most part which their fans disagreed with at the time favouring him in the central role but accepting he could still contribute on the wing.
Spot on mate a better question for a thread would be how excited would we be if he about turned and came back.Christ i would be sick as a c...parrot ha ha i mean

Wigan narrowly avoided relegation last year, signing people for fees and paying high wages doesn't guarantee you'll be competitive.

Wyke scored a lot of goals last season, the majority of those off one touch. The quality of the delivery we had coming in to him was a massive part of this, hence Mcgeady creating more goals than anyone else in the league despite not playing until December.

For me Wyke meant we could only play one way, as he wasn't the sort to run the channels or get in behind to stretch the defence - this meant nearly all of our threat was from wide areas. Ross Stewart will run the channels and look to get in behind, meaning not only can we be a threat from wide but also pose a genuine threat in behind.
Towards the end of last season other teams had us sussed, Wyke was blowing out his arse or a combination of the two lead to a horrible run of form.

It pays to have options and Wyke didn’t give us any. I’d be amazed if he scored 20 this season never mind 30.

He's playing for an opposition team and will be busting a gut to score against us, that's enough for me. Left as soon as his contract expired after having one good season in three, the previous two he was utter utter shite.

Wyke and Power are not two I would boo. There are returning players who I would end up jettisoning my larynx out of my mouth but more who I would lightly applaud when announced.

That's until game starts and they can fuck off. After all they're trying to do us.

I like your analysis, but I thought Wyke deserved a great deal of credit. His finishing was excellent, at times.
For the first part of his career at Sunderland, Wyke played under managers who would leave him totally isolated which makes it very easy for the opposition to mark him out of the game . It’s no coincidence that once we got a manager that actually believed in getting the team higher up the pitch and more players in the box , that the lad started scoring at what was a very decent rate .
I reckon that if he is injury free next season , “Why did we allow Wyke to leave “ will be a non stop theme on here.

Power and Wyke's best games will come against us, however i'd be surprised if Wyke managed even half of the goals he got last season. McGeady must have put about 15 of them on a plate for him.

Back