The ‘will selling Charlie Wyke to a promotion rival come back to haunt us’ thread.

Of course we’ll be better, so long as we secure a sufficient replacement who can offer more to the side than just an aerial threat. I like Stewart and think he’ll do a good job, but we definitely need someone else who offers another dimension. Providing the recruitment is good, then yes we will be better without him.

Bit of a strange one I don't think he will score 30 goals again unfortunately I don't think Stewart is going to score/assist more than 15 goals, unless we buy a quality forward I think goals will be a big big problem for us this season. Stop McGeady and I can't see where the goals will come from

We'll smesh Wigan home and away and be given the opportunity to give Wyke a load of stick. Can't wait.
Bit of a strange one I don't think he will score 30 goals again unfortunately I don't think Stewart is going to score/assist more than 15 goals, unless we buy a quality forward I think goals will be a big big problem for us this season. Stop McGeady and I can't see where the goals will come from

Stewart had an assist at the weekend. Stewart will be a better option than Wyke imo. We'll see I guess.

I'd be more comfortable with it if we had sold him tbf.

In terms of goals it might well come back to bite us, as nomatter what people say about his overall game replacing those goals won't be easy.

if we want to move forward as a team then we had to have more players capable of playing the game the manager wants us to play and Wyke didn't seem to fit in with that and was quite poor in general play and in terms of contributing.

So its a bit of a conundrum really, but its been taken out of our hands as quite rightly we didn't match what Wigan did.

As my mate says, it's a f***ing enigma having had a striker that banged in so many goals yet was so shit. :lol:

Hes got one really way of scoring and that's attacking balls crossed balls into the box - either in the air or on the ground. Give him time or space to think and he's hopeless.

I've no doubt he'll score if given that service - we were told on signing him, saw evidence early on then ignored it till last season.

But getting him to function is so specific and it only worked so well as we had by far the best ball player and most complete player in the division turning into an assist machine dropping the ball in exactly the right area time and time again.

As my mate says, it's a f***ing enigma having had a striker that banged in so many goals yet was so shit. :lol:
This. It’s mad that we’re also not worried about him leaving. A 30 goal striker you’d have thought we’d be distraught and/or angry he’d moved on. Even before he left the vast majority didn’t want him to sign.

I can completely understand why Wigan fans would feel this is all sour grapes, we probably would if we signing a “30” goal striker. I’m still gobsmacked he got that many too, good chunks of the season he was poor. Unbelievable but credit to the lad. His one touch finishing was very good. It was just the rest of his play…

Let’s see if Wyke can repeat or get close to last season. I’d bet 10-12 league goals

No hard feeling to him though. Seems a nice bloke and a confidence player. A comment about how he’ll fit in at Wigan as Power is there and he gets on with everyone. Good luck to him

Last edited:
No. He's a league 1 Darren Bent.

I was going to cite Bent as a example of folk being wrong about goalscorers, he consistently stretched the game by playing on the shoulder which helped no end.

Wyke battled and was consistently our best forward, thats not to say he was good, he wasn't, he is an above average league one forward.

While it was only a friendly against hearts, it was a really interesting set up and in no way could Wyke contribute what Stewart was doing. If Stewart can finish as well as Wyke then we won't miss him.

Hopefully you don't mind me quoting you specifically here, because I've seen this loads of times.
But what's so bad about being a goal poacher who's good with his feet and his head?

I don't think we're going to get many complete strikers in L1 who can score from half-chances, beat defenders in the air and on the deck AND do all the other things that people claim would make him not a 1-dimensional player?

I somewhat agree tbh, I think we can do better too. But shit, if we haven't failed at replacing players with better players on almost every occasion since about 1998.
He wasn't that good with his head or his feet though. Don't get me wrong we managed to improve his ability to attack the ball in the air when McGeady whipped it in perfectly, but outside of that he barely won flick ons, didn't have good control, could barely run, couldn't really press, struggled kicking a ball, was pretty horrendous with his back to goal, and was barely involved in linking the play up (although this did improve under Johnson).

In his defence for a lot of the time he was here he was pretty isolated, and I think his game clearly did improve. Plus I suppose no matter how good McGeady's delivery was you have to give him credit for getting in position to score, he's certainly better than Grigg.

I really do think it's a miracle he hit 30, he's one of the worst strikers we've had in terms of ability in my opinion, I know how mind-numbingly daft that sounds given his return this season, but I really think he's an enigma. I suppose a better way of phrasing it would be, how many goals did Wyke score where you thought he shouldn't have? I can only think of <5 off the top of my head. Everything else was put on a plate.

It'll be interesting to see whether I'm talking absolute rubbish and, assuming Wigan play to his strengths, he has back to back good seasons but I really can't see it happening.

We'll smesh Wigan home and away and be given the opportunity to give Wyke a load of stick. Can't wait.

Stewart had an assist at the weekend. Stewart will be a better option than Wyke imo. We'll see I guess.
I really hope you are right my concern is if he is our 1st choice forward will he cope with the pressure I know at 24 he isn't considered a young player/prospect anymore but for someone who hasn't scored more than 12 league goals in a season before and only once hit double figures in the league (that was in Scottish League one) to suddenly score/assist 20 plus goals in a season is one hell of a jump.

Back