The ‘will selling Charlie Wyke to a promotion rival come back to haunt us’ thread.

Wigan narrowly avoided relegation last year, signing people for fees and paying high wages doesn't guarantee you'll be competitive.

Wyke scored a lot of goals last season, the majority of those off one touch. The quality of the delivery we had coming in to him was a massive part of this, hence Mcgeady creating more goals than anyone else in the league despite not playing until December.

For me Wyke meant we could only play one way, as he wasn't the sort to run the channels or get in behind to stretch the defence - this meant nearly all of our threat was from wide areas. Ross Stewart will run the channels and look to get in behind, meaning not only can we be a threat from wide but also pose a genuine threat in behind.

Nope. We'll be better off without him.
For a lad who scored 30+ last year that is a bizarre statement. However, I think you are correct. There is no doubt Lee Johnson did a great job getting a tune out of Wyke - he basically got the team to focus on getting the ball to McGeady, got Wyle to time his runs to McGeady's crosses and it worked. When teams eventually worked that out Wyke stopped scoring and we, as a team and the manager, had no plan B. The whole team was set up for Wyke and he massively limited our approach. Stewart's mobility offers far more, although the coaching team will need to work hard on his finishing, his runs etc. I think we are better off without him and that is not sour grapes if any Wigan fans are reading - just an reflection on how limited we were last year.

Wigan narrowly avoided relegation last year, signing people for fees and paying high wages doesn't guarantee you'll be competitive.

Wyke scored a lot of goals last season, the majority of those off one touch. The quality of the delivery we had coming in to him was a massive part of this, hence Mcgeady creating more goals than anyone else in the league despite not playing until December.

For me Wyke meant we could only play one way, as he wasn't the sort to run the channels or get in behind to stretch the defence - this meant nearly all of our threat was from wide areas. Ross Stewart will run the channels and look to get in behind, meaning not only can we be a threat from wide but also pose a genuine threat in behind.
This

I like the lad but we were one dimensional, the manager did a great job getting as many goals out of him as he did, but going forward, he’s not the player we need.

Last edited:

All of this 👆

I like the lad but we were one dimensional, the manager did a great job getting as many goals out of him as he did, but going forward, he’s not the player we need.
Hopefully you don't mind me quoting you specifically here, because I've seen this loads of times.
But what's so bad about being a goal poacher who's good with his feet and his head?

I don't think we're going to get many complete strikers in L1 who can score from half-chances, beat defenders in the air and on the deck AND do all the other things that people claim would make him not a 1-dimensional player?

I somewhat agree tbh, I think we can do better too. But shit, if we haven't failed at replacing players with better players on almost every occasion since about 1998.

Back