Tetris: Sky News presenter tells teenager to "go outside"

I agree, but i never understood how watching chess became a jet-set spectator event.
The Queen’s gambit has a lot to answer for there.
I feel sorry for these kids that have to grow up with these man-childs as fathers these days, who play video games all day.
Don’t, my kid is turning out ok. I don’t play video games all day though.
I think it’s odd for adults to play computer games.

Seems a bit nerdy and antisocial.

And board games. Weirdos.
Board games are the opposite of anti-social, surely? :lol:

Last edited:

I think it’s odd for adults to play computer games.

Seems a bit nerdy and antisocial.

And board games. Weirdos.
A wind up, surely?

You participate in the Parsnip games on here ( as indeed do I ).

Board games are the very opposite of anti-social. I love a game of Monopoly or Cluedo with my family, nowt like it for having a bit of fun and a laugh.

I watch a lot of professional League of Legends and the graft it takes to go pro from "just playing a computer game" is mental.

I wouldn't go as far to call them sportsmen, but don't disparage their achievements. I wouldn't watch competitive Tetris but some games are class as a spectator.

Is it possible Jayne is Quasi’s love child?

Not as pretty as her mam and defo has his attitude going by past news stories
Naaaah, definitely not. It would have been about 2001-2003, their dalliance.

That said, I think that you're remembering Kathy through Rose tinted (probably teenage) specs cos if you go and look back over pictures, she really wasn't all that, though we all thought she was at the time. She just had something about her.

That said, I think that you're remembering Kathy through Rose tinted (probably teenage) specs cos if you go and look back over pictures, she really wasn't all that, though we all thought she was at the time. She just had something about her.
I barely remember what she looked like - I remember thinking she was a beautiful kind lady and wanted her to be my mam

Hopefully I wasn’t a teenager :)

Sorry, Dodgy….. any thoughts I had about Kathy ( and I certainly did !! ) were shattered into a million pieces when the realisation that Peter Beardsley had done the horizontal Rumba with her. I had to shower with Domestos after learning of that🤢🤢🤮
Is it possible Jayne is Quasi’s love child?

Not as pretty as her mam and defo has his attitude going by past news stories

Bassa thought I had the exclusive there

There’s a UNIVERSE of difference between not looking like the rather lovely 🥰 Kathy Secker and even remotely looking like Peter Beardsley.

You do know if you fantasised about Kathy being your mam, you’d have had Beardsley as your step dad?

Last edited:
Sorry, Dodgy….. any thoughts I had about Kathy ( and I certainly did !! ) were shattered into a million pieces when the realisation that Peter Beardsley had done the horizontal Rumba with her. I had to shower with Domestos after learning of that🤢🤢🤮

There’s a UNIVERSE of difference between not looking like the rather lovely 🥰 Kathy Secker and even remotely looking like Peter Beardsley.

You do know if you fantasised about Kathy being your mam, you’d have had Beardsley as your step dad?
I’d have to grow up quickly tbf

Why does every old person think kids should "go outside" its dull as f---, rose tinted glasses about epic footy games, rope swings and getting chased off the older lads but the reality is you spent 90% of your time bored shitless.
What about a bit of exercise now and again? The kid was wheezing like a Benwell bingo player. Think it would do him good.

Walking the dog, playing footy, playing cricket? Mine are most often out whenever it is light and warm, and when it’s dark, fecking freezing or raining they’re inside on their Play Stations.

Suspect the news reader’s comment was more towards it being possible to have a balance.

Why does every old person think kids should "go outside" its dull as f---, rose tinted glasses about epic footy games, rope swings and getting chased off the older lads but the reality is you spent 90% of your time bored shitless.
I was never bored growing up in the 70s/early 80s my internet friend. Six weeks summer holidays were never long enough. Out with mates from 8am till it got dark doing all sorts of exploring, playing footy, hidey, kerby, going for miles on bikes. The list is endless.
When it rained we’d pile into someone’s house and play games such as darts, pool (we had a 6ft snooker table) subbutteo

I was never bored growing up in the 70s/early 80s my internet friend. Six weeks summer holidays were never long enough. Out with mates from 8am till it got dark doing all sorts of exploring, playing footy, hidey, kerby, going for miles on bikes. The list is endless.
When it rained we’d pile into someone’s house and play games such as darts, pool (we had a 6ft snooker table) subbutteo
And have lashings and lashings of ginger beer!! 😉

Maybe when you were 10 - not when you were in comp I dare say, I know not many of us at 13/14 were playing kerby, making dens and playing hidey !!

We were paperboys & milkboys scraping pocket money together for 10 regal kingsize and a bottle of QC sherry for friday night hoping for some necking on (and a bit of fingering if we were lucky) with a lass (or lasses)

Last edited:
Can you imagine getting up at three on Xmas morning to search for your new XBox. Rather eat nails.

I think the TV woman is being a bit daft but really, you don't have any parks. fields etc? Maybes I'm just spoilt and don't even realise it, as I worked out there was a absolutely loads around here.

Am exaggerating for effect, but there's been a huge loss of green space since I was a kid growing up in the 70s. New developments have almost half less green space than older ones, and kids growing up in 'new' neighbourhoods on average have to travel further to get to anything resembling a park and it's much smaller when they get there. Green spaces that exist in poorer parts of the country are more likely to be built on too.

People often tend to blame the kids as well for not being out all the time, when you have to ask how many parents now would be happy for their ten-year-old to disappear out after breakfast, wander the land and reappear at tea time. I think a lot of kids are encouraged to stay in more, roam less widely, account for where they are, stay close.

As with everything in life, moderation isn't a bad thing, I'd say. And to be fair to the telly woman, a bit of fresh air never harmed anyone.

A wind up, surely?

You participate in the Parsnip games on here ( as indeed do I ).

Board games are the very opposite of anti-social. I love a game of Monopoly or Cluedo with my family, nowt like it for having a bit of fun and a laugh.

I bought an SAFC Monopoly game years back. I think you buy players instead of streets and stands instead of houses till you get a full Stadium of Light (hotel) ? I reckon the questions are all SAFC related and not having anyone around to play it here in Denmark with the game is still not used and still wrapped in plastic. 😭 Still hope to open it and get a game going sometime but I have a feeling I will need to bring the board with me to Sunderland at some point to make that likely.

I do like playing Yatzee though and have played it quite a few times in pubs in Sunderland over the years. Chess, too.

Last edited:
And have lashings and lashings of ginger beer!! 😉
Couldn't afford owt like that marra
Maybe when you were 10 - not when you were in comp I dare say, I know not many of us at 13/14 were playing kerby, making dens and playing hidey !!

We were paperboys & milkboys scraping pocket money together for 10 regal kingsize and a bottle of QC sherry for friday night hoping for some necking on (and a bit of fingering if we were lucky) with a lass (or lasses)
Aye a bit later for me. I was working hard studying at 14.
No way I was having a crqppy job

Last edited:

A rare but much welcome use of the word dalliance. Let's bring back tomfoolery as well. :cool:

Last edited:

Back