Testing on animals

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
It’s a good point. The majority of animals used in medical testing are fruit flies and nematode worms.

Then zebrafish are another major one.

Most would think nothing of swatting a fly in their house or guzzling a cod on a Friday night despite not needing to for survival.
Why zebrafish? I seem to remember fruit flies (drosophila?) from Biology lessons and summink to do with their genetic make up, or was it just they had such a short breeding cycle you could observe changes through successive generations more quickly?

Flies i just normally open the window for :lol::lol: they eventually make their way out.

Yes but not before four more and a blackbird have made their way in.

Why zebrafish? I seem to remember fruit flies (drosophila?) from Biology lessons and summink to do with their genetic make up, or was it just they had such a short breeding cycle you could observe changes through successive generations more quickly?

Bits of both. They’re similar enough genetically to make testing on them a valid starting point for human research. And yes, their reproductive cycles/numbers make them perfect.

With zebra fish it’s the similarity and the ease of keeping them. One of their main uses currently is researching heart tissue regeneration.

Last edited:
It’s a good point. The majority of animals used in medical testing are fruit flies and nematode worms.

Then zebrafish are another major one.

Most would think nothing of swatting a fly in their house or guzzling a cod on a Friday night despite not needing to for survival.

The medical community would have a problem given the total lack of control you have over testing on people who have lived to adulthood in totally unknown circumstances.

That’s why it’s a totally f***ing stupid idea, before the human rights issues come into play.

Anyone who murders children shouldn’t have rights but that’s a seperate debate.

So testing on a hamster or a rabbit is more accurate than a human because you don’t know how they’ve lived? Give them a full medical check first ( sure it’s easy enough to check the medical records).

If its ok to test on animals then whats the issue with testing on humans? I'm not sure at which point we thought we were better than everything else.
So if you had a infection caused by animal parasites then you'd just leave them to get on with it rather than have them treated, which would mean killing them off?

A Parasite like this one...

Anyone who murders children shouldn’t have rights but that’s a seperate debate.

So testing on a hamster or a rabbit is more accurate than a human because you don’t know how they’ve lived? Give them a full medical check first ( sure it’s easy enough to check the medical records).

Yes. It’s literally pointless to test new medicines on heinous criminals because it would not be useful scientifically. Not enough of them, not a homegenous enough sample.

We’d just be satisfying the bloodlust of people who are almost as sadistic as the criminals themselves.

I know someone who works in the safety testing department in Rolls Royce engines. They have a farm for birds that they kill, freeze, then fire at the engines to test they are fine if they hit one in flight. So chances are everyone, even vegans will have benefitted from animal testing at some point.

That eye shadow could cause eye cancer.

Don’t use it then

Not really. In the grand scheme of things i arent really am I. It depends on what you consider to be "better" I guess.

I agree
It’s all about priority/survival etc.
If there was a burning building with a man and an animal inside and you could only save one then it would be the man (unless he was wearing a mag top of course).
If however there were two men inside but one was a relation then you would save your relation. In the grand scheme their lives are equal.

Last edited:
Thanks. He's fine(ish) now. I honestly didn't care how many animals could have died to save his life though. Terrible I know but I'm just being honest.

Understandable as most would do anything to protect their kids including losing their own life if need be.
I don’t know how Jehovas Witnesses can refuse their kids blood transfusions but that’s another debate.

Back