TEST MATCH :: England v Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gubbins is the other one who has done something early season, but they still have this policy of continuous selection so it's more likely they go back to someone they'e tried before and out of them it's Jennings that's scoring well. But then, who knows with this lot.

Compton made a good point on the verdict IMO, about how the senior/junior dynamic is not working

Put Cook to 3 and bring in 2 new openers who can grow together.

I haven't watched any of the (predictable) way this all panned out, except to say that we are miles away from a proper Test team and we seem determined not to learn the lessons.

We need to be very careful here. In England it's still Test cricket that funds the game and not white ball stuff, and if the Test team collapses the crowds will follow and we will be in trouble.

I think Jennings will be on the radar, he's got 2 centuries in CC and has carried the form into the one dayers. If you aren't going to pick him now, then when?
I'm not saying I wouldn't make changes, I just have a feeling they'll stick with the same batsmen and make changes for the India series.

@stephen cartwright I don't think England use Wood properly. He seems most effective to me when he's bowling full but they seem to be obsessed with getting him to try and bounce people out the moment we don't take a wicket in 10 overs. And he doesn't have the bounce/hostility/suitable wickets to be able to do that.

I'm not saying I wouldn't make changes, I just have a feeling they'll stick with the same batsmen and make changes for the India series.

@stephen cartwright I don't think England use Wood properly. He seems most effective to me when he's bowling full but they seem to be obsessed with getting him to try and bounce people out the moment we don't take a wicket in 10 overs. And he doesn't have the bounce/hostility/suitable wickets to be able to do that.
I agree on wood as they want enforcers in him and stokes.

Wood is a bowler for full length and swing with pace. I just feel England will bring in woakes as his batting is superior.

Compton made a good point on the verdict IMO, about how the senior/junior dynamic is not working

I agree here as well. I thought Compton made some very interesting and valid points, which took Bob Willis out of his stride at times.

I hope Compton continues to come up with ideas which you can see he fully believes in. A welcome addition to the sky punditry battalion for me

I agree on wood as they want enforcers in him and stokes.

Wood is a bowler for full length and swing with pace. I just feel England will bring in woakes as his batting is superior.

I agree here as well. I thought Compton made some very interesting and valid points, which took Bob Willis out of his stride at times.

I hope Compton continues to come up with ideas which you can see he fully believes in. A welcome addition to the sky punditry battalion for me

Yeah agreed Bob just dismissed them

I like Willis, good value, but he is very critical and dismisses theories without any explanation of his own.

Totally agree

Dobell: England's humiliation at Lord's was an accident waiting to happen

this is excellent

Last edited:
I'd probably go with the same XI, with Stoneman on his last chance or 2. Possibly tinker with Woakes in for Wood, purely on the basis that I would have picked him for the 1st test.

Seriously, that's a horrid suggestion. Cook is the greatest England opener of the modern era, he's always been an opener, why the fuck would he suddenly go 3?!

Either have him open, or drop him.

Seriously, that's a horrid suggestion. Cook is the greatest England opener of the modern era, he's always been an opener, why the fuck would he suddenly go 3?!

Either have him open, or drop him.

Think its a reasonable one, he isn't scoring runs opening the batting, got to try something.

Its not like we have a number 3 either

Think its a reasonable one, he isn't scoring runs opening the batting, got to try something.

Its not like we have a number 3 either

The bloke has scored 11,400 runs opening for England. Don't insult him by moving him to 3.

He scored runs in the first innings :eek:, batting properly, with patience and grit. In the second innings he got a jaffer.

I'd probably go with the same XI, with Stoneman on his last chance or 2. Possibly tinker with Woakes in for Wood, purely on the basis that I would have picked him for the 1st test.
I think that Woakes' batting is a consideration. That long tail was asking for trouble.

I would get rid of the cabal that runs the ECB. Paul Collingwood should be involved - get rid of Ramprakash. How many chances should these lads get before it is realised that they are not good enough?

The bloke has scored 11,400 runs opening for England. Don't insult him by moving him to 3.

He scored runs in the first innings :eek:, batting properly, with patience and grit. In the second innings he got a jaffer.

He hasn't batted consistently for years like, and I am his biggest fan

They have to try something, or we will continue to get hammered.

At least people can't blame Moeen Ali for this debarkle like they have been doing for last year or so. He was one our top performers last summer over here.

He had the worst winter of anyone mind, couldn't pick him after that, need to move on.

There is an argument for picking him in May in England as you don't bowl much overs of spin I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back