Tesco apologises over racism

Fair play.
there are a number of childrens books along the same theme. my granddaughter has a few. I am looking at one now by Fiona Watt and illustrated by Rachel wells. they are called touchy - feely books.

Its called "That's not my giraffe ... its horns are too fuzzy. The child is then encouraged the horns to feel the fuzzy feeling of the felt.

It's a young child book intending them to feel texture along with a very simple story. tail is made of felt and other parts such as horns -too fuzzy, mane - too tufty, hoofs -too rough, spots - so soft, are made of appropriate materials.

each body part page is "that's not my ..." until the last page That's my ...

The mermaid book is relating to her hair being made of felt

maybe it is unfortunate wording nowadays, but I do feel the complainant in this case does not fully understand the nature of the books, maybe she is not even aware of them. perhaps using the mermaids hair was a bad choice for a t-shirt.

No problem. People often get defensive about the topic because the word privilege can imply they’ve had it easy but there’s many types of privilege. It’s not that it gifts you everything but means there’s something you don’t have to worry about that others do every day.

The massive privilege that swamps every other privilege in the world is economic privilege.

Apparently it was. Emma Dabiri explained it her book, Don't Touch My Hair.

I wonder if the book is as big a pile of bollocks as that video?
there are a number of childrens books along the same theme. my granddaughter has a few. I am looking at one now by Fiona Watt and illustrated by Rachel wells. they are called touchy - feely books.

Its called "That's not my giraffe ... its horns are too fuzzy. The child is then encouraged the horns to feel the fuzzy feeling of the felt.

It's a young child book intending them to feel texture along with a very simple story. tail is made of felt and other parts such as horns -too fuzzy, mane - too tufty, hoofs -too rough, spots - so soft, are made of appropriate materials.

each body part page is "that's not my ..." until the last page That's my ...

The mermaid book is relating to her hair being made of felt

maybe it is unfortunate wording nowadays, but I do feel the complainant in this case does not fully understand the nature of the books, maybe she is not even aware of them. perhaps using the mermaids hair was a bad choice for a t-shirt.
It's only racist if someone is desperate to find racism in it

Last edited:
Ah ok but I do not believe that for 1 second, I was in bottom classes at school, never went as I did not enjoy it, came out of school with nothing and worked dam hard with loads of knock backs, realised I had nowhere to go and joined the army to get a trade, passed all exams by the bare minimum(I worked dam hard to even get that) when I left I got a good well paid job, one I would never of got if I did not work dam hard and out of my comfort zone

I get that but the argument is that on top of everything you say here, having black skin as opposed to white would've hindered you from achieving what you did.

Well that argument is certainly wrong in the first part of his employment history.
The army would have welcomed him with open arms as they are desperate to push for diversity.

Whether you agree is a different matter but that is the argument put forward by those who argue there is a 'white priviledge'.

No problem. People often get defensive about the topic because the word privilege can imply they’ve had it easy but there’s many types of privilege. It’s not that it gifts you everything but means there’s something you don’t have to worry about that others do every day.
It was more the middle aged white bloke privilege that someone said earlier that just never made sense to me, but now I’ve read this it just seems that having white skin has certain privileges, I’ve never really came across much racism in my life so it’s not something that even entered my mind, I still done get the white middle aged bloke statement as it should just apply to all white males shirley? I’m out now but I will say one last thing racism stinks and people need to treat people how they themselves would like to be treated, and that was drilled into me when I was about 5 year old from me mam and dad

I’m more concerned at the lack of empathy for his/her/their disability of not being able to walk on dry land. Imagine having to spend all day in the sea and sitting on the occasional rock ffs.

And being referred to as a “Maid”.That sounds demeaning.

Back