Team for the Ashes

Scyld Berry in the Telegraph criticises the choice of Denly but then goes on to say they should have picked Vince to open, even though he never has for Hants.
But the most viable candidate to do a job as an opener in this summer’s Ashes is James Vince. Hampshire’s No 3 has not opened in red-ball cricket, which is precisely why he should have been trialled as an opener in this series, and arguably in Sri Lanka too, instead of Jennings. At present England’s top order is all square pegs and round holes, but Vince surely comes closest to fitting.

Vince should have been initiated as an opener, while, unfortunately, England’s selectors have been looking down two cul de sacs. My team for the Ashes would involve Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow reverting to the positions they have had at Yorkshire, and consists of Burns, Vince, Root, Bairstow, Buttler, Stokes, Foakes, Moeen, Curran, Broad and Anderson.

Scyld Berry in the Telegraph criticises the choice of Denly but then goes on to say they should have picked Vince to open, even though he never has for Hants.
But the most viable candidate to do a job as an opener in this summer’s Ashes is James Vince. Hampshire’s No 3 has not opened in red-ball cricket, which is precisely why he should have been trialled as an opener in this series, and arguably in Sri Lanka too, instead of Jennings. At present England’s top order is all square pegs and round holes, but Vince surely comes closest to fitting.

Vince should have been initiated as an opener, while, unfortunately, England’s selectors have been looking down two cul de sacs. My team for the Ashes would involve Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow reverting to the positions they have had at Yorkshire, and consists of Burns, Vince, Root, Bairstow, Buttler, Stokes, Foakes, Moeen, Curran, Broad and Anderson.
Criticised the choice of Denly to open or the choice to have Denly in the team/squad?

Stoneman
Vince
Bell
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes/Archer/Curran/Leach
Broad
Anderson

Really depends on the pitch for the 4th bowler, not copping out just don't know conditions

The only issue is the top 3, everything else is covered.

The best batsman IMO that I have seen with my own eyes outside the current lot is James Vince, the best opener is Stoneman.

I think Bell would score runs, might get stick for that one, but he won't score mountains, but we just need someone to stay in and get the odd 50, think he would, he is only 36 isn't he? Not really sure why he hasn't been recalled before now when you look who has been playing.

If not then Burns to open and Vince at 3

But they will just pick who is in form. Not against Jason Roy

The team isnt anywhere near as bad as people make out, we just lack 3 players, its massive but the rest are good, the issue is that numbers 5 and 6 are always in when the ball is new, when they aren;t good enough to to deal with that

If we had Cook.Strauss and Trott in the top 3 we would be absolutely unbelievable. I feel for the middle order, as they get the blame a lot of the time.

Stokes would be average 37,38,39 if he'd played in the great team we had under strauss

Stoneman
Vince
Bell
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes/Archer/Curran/Leach
Broad
Anderson

Really depends on the pitch for the 4th bowler, not copping out just don't know conditions

The only issue is the top 3, everything else is covered.

The best batsman IMO that I have seen with my own eyes outside the current lot is James Vince, the best opener is Stoneman.

I think Bell would score runs, might get stick for that one, but he won't score mountains, but we just need someone to stay in and get the odd 50, think he would, he is only 36 isn't he? Not really sure why he hasn't been recalled before now when you look who has been playing.

If not then Burns to open and Vince at 3

But they will just pick who is in form. Not against Jason Roy

The team isnt anywhere near as bad as people make out, we just lack 3 players, its massive but the rest are good, the issue is that numbers 5 and 6 are always in when the ball is new, when they aren;t good enough to to deal with that

If we had Cook.Strauss and Trott in the top 3 we would be absolutely unbelievable. I feel for the middle order, as they get the blame a lot of the time.

Stokes would be average 37,38,39 if he'd played in the great team we had under strauss

I don't think anyone should get stick for suggestions in the top 3 and early season form will go a long way. I'm not going to ridicule Bell at least he's been there and done that - I do think his runs last season were a little bit misleading. He had two massive scores against a hapless Glamorgan that inflated his record a bit. However they are in Div 1 now and if he scores big runs he has a chance. I think the selectors like Hain as well even though his record is nowt to shout about. I would probably go Stoneman, Burns, Vince but early season form will dictate I would imagine.

I don't think anyone should get stick for suggestions in the top 3 and early season form will go a long way. I'm not going to ridicule Bell at least he's been there and done that - I do think his runs last season were a little bit misleading. He had two massive scores against a hapless Glamorgan that inflated his record a bit. However they are in Div 1 now and if he scores big runs he has a chance. I think the selectors like Hain as well even though his record is nowt to shout about. I would probably go Stoneman, Burns, Vince but early season form will dictate I would imagine.

Yeah they were a bit misleading

To be honest it wasn’t about his runs last year

Just know he can play fast bowling, he won’t be phased by the occasion (which is important) and I think he’d get a few 50s and could bat time

It’s short termist I know

Yeah I think you’re right with those 3, they probably are the beSt. I was massively anti Vince originally but he is a good player and last year he knuckled down and batted a lot more slowly

I think Smith has made a total mess of the top order almost he dropped him to make his mark

The problem with a lot of the younger lads is they are middle order players, unfair to stick them in top 3

It’s ehy I’d go for Vince, he’s of root, Buttler and stokes generation

Back