Tall Ships....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The boot is being jumped on here when he does have some valid points ,I was down Friday night for a meal in the glass centre then had a walk round to what was a great event .

Bad points ;I think the traffic situation was a joke ,needless amounts of roads closed and £20 park and ride.That to me deterred a lot of people from attending .
The other thing was it seemed a bit daft having it down Hendon and Roker ,for me it should have been all together .
Don’t worry mate I have mental issues from the forces. :rolleyes:
What’s your excuse? :lol:

The boot is being jumped on here when he does have some valid points ,I was down Friday night for a meal in the glass centre then had a walk round to what was a great event .

Bad points ;I think the traffic situation was a joke ,needless amounts of roads closed and £20 park and ride.That to me deterred a lot of people from attending .
The other thing was it seemed a bit daft having it down Hendon and Roker ,for me it should have been all together .

The Council originally wanted it on both river sides but problems with dredging being required, some of it contaminated material, and structural capacity of some of the quays meant the sites ended up where they were - otherwise they would have had to pay stupid money. Appears it was a success regardless.

The Council originally wanted it on both river sides but problems with dredging being required, some of it contaminated material, and structural capacity of some of the quays meant the sites ended up where they were - otherwise they would have had to pay stupid money. Appears it was a success regardless.
It was that ,traffic /road closures was a bit ott like but all in all it was a fantastic Tall ships extravaganza

I thought the whole thing was just bliddy amazing .
I went to different parts of it over the days and and I think that the way it was set out really allowed people to enjoy a bit of space to see things, also think that it will have made it difficult to visually guess numbers .
The ships were stunning , the weather was great and the organisation was good . I noticed that they responded well through their social media to try to keep everyone updated with the best ways to get about and where to park etc.
I heard accents from all over and I think we’ve really put ourselves on the map for tourism .

Great idea to have it both sides. Maybe resurrect a ferry between the 2 may have been an idea? Or a tight rope?

Girfuy the moaning Minnie’s
I went Thursday/Friday then took part in the ships leaving on satda, my only gripe was waiting an hour for the bus back to St Peters on Thursday as the crew parade was taking place, I think everyone missed this problem so I’m not really that fussed over it. The prices were a bit harsh but it would be where ever it was being held.
Well done Sunderland the organisers and the volunteers, you made the city beam with pride.

Nowhere near air show rammed though, mercifully. I don't know if that was the expectation but I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much if it was.
That may have been to do with it being over a longer period and over a wider area.

Interesting to see how they actually calculate attendance.

I went yesterday and parked up at Sunniside just after 11 no bother. Went along Hendon and thought it was great, loads of people but you didn't feel crowded and could get a good view of all the ships. It was better than I remember Hartlepool and definitely better than being crammed in along Newcastle quayside.

Then we went across the other side had some dinner and watched them leaving from Roker. I'd only ever seen them docked before and it was a great setting to see them in full sail. I was back at the car for 2.30 and it cost me around a fiver.

The only minor quibble was when I was heading over from the car park there were some people new to the city who didn't know where to go and the signs were just for traffic and parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back