Talking to the Rangers fan at work

To be fair, Michael Beale's comments re. Ange being lucky were based around his (Ange) having a bigger pile of cash to invest on players than He (Beale) had.

On a slightly different note, there seem to be a fair few people who are almost willing Beale to fail as a means of vindicating their perceptions of the wider club. I'm not sure that these are founded on rationale, rather than vitriol.
There is a big reason why they have less money than Celtic and it's called cheating, it's why a new club plays at Ibrox, nowt to do with luck. Postecoglou stormed into Celtic, set his standards high, and style of play, amidst off the pitch chaos. Beale arrived at Ibrox having walked out on QPR, believing the hype of 'power behind Gerard's throne' and proceeded to make no real impression on their style of play and delivering personality free media appearances. He feels like one of our relegation/League One appointments. We won't have the same officiating in our games either.

He obviously has coaching skills but being head coach means being the figurehead and focus of our club and there is no hiding from that, for him ir the Club. I hope he proves me wrong and a convincing win today will help him settle and encourage doubters like me.

I am more disappointed that Speakman and Dreyfus with their data driven , meticulous scouring for a new head coach arrived at an out of work man with doubtful credentials that at this point doesn't look anything like an enhancement of Mowbray.

There is a big reason why they have less money than Celtic and it's called cheating, it's why a new club plays at Ibrox, nowt to do with luck. Postecoglou stormed into Celtic, set his standards high, and style of play, amidst off the pitch chaos. Beale arrived at Ibrox having walked out on QPR, believing the hype of 'power behind Gerard's throne' and proceeded to make no real impression on their style of play and delivering personality free media appearances. He feels like one of our relegation/League One appointments. We won't have the same officiating in our games either.

He obviously has coaching skills but being head coach means being the figurehead and focus of our club and there is no hiding from that, for him ir the Club. I hope he proves me wrong and a convincing win today will help him settle and encourage doubters like me.

I am more disappointed that Speakman and Dreyfus with their data driven , meticulous scouring for a new head coach arrived at an out of work man with doubtful credentials that at this point doesn't look anything like an enhancement of Mowbray.
Michael Beale did increase Rangers' points per game by almost 0.4 when he took over - that's quite a big jump, so he clearly made some impression on their performances. That level of improvement is not insignificant, albeit not enough to make the difference between second and first. If he does something similar here, that's very much the difference between upper mid-table and comfortably in the play-offs. I guess that time will tell and I hope that everyone who is un-enamoured with his appointment is pleasantly surprised.

Re. the data driven thing, I don't know what their algorithms are, nor whether we really have any, but, Still at a cost of £10M or Beale at zero cost may well have been the best data driven appointment - assuming that Still is better, how much better does Still have to be to justify the buy out clause and associated costs of recruitment?

Last edited:
Michael Beale did increase Rangers' points per game by almost 0.4 when he took over - that's quite a big jump, so he clearly made some impression on their performances. That level of improvement is not insignificant, albeit not enough to make the difference between second and first. If he does something similar here, that's very much the difference between upper mid-table and comfortably in the play-offs. I guess that time will tell and I hope that everyone who is un-enamoured with his appointment is pleasantly surprised.

Re. the data driven thing, I don't know what their algorithms are, nor whether we really have any, but, Still at a cost of £10M or Beale at zero cost may well have been the best data driven appointment - assuming that Still is better, how much better does Still have to be to justify the buy out clause and associated costs of recruitment?
Dreyfus has had a hand in four appointments, all of them out of work, that is the algorithim. Two of them were good appointments so it isn't necessarily wrong and Beale could prove to be a third.

I have about half a dozen Rangers fans that work for me and have had a number of conversations over the past few days regarding Mr Beale. The general view is that he may have been thrown under the bus, a bit, at Rangers and he was just plain old unlucky that he was up against Postecoglu and if someone like Lennon or Rodgers was at the helm at Celtic, he'd probably have won the league. This might be some cause for optimism.
I do find the whole Beale at Rangers thing a bit weird.

Gerrard (63% win percentage) & Van Bronckhorst (59% win percentage) - Quality. We loved it. Lovely and successful. That’s the stuff.

Beale (72% win percentage) - Fuck off. He’s shit. Can’t stand him. Wanker.

Would have thought his percentages would have been lower - or Gerrard’s and Van Bronckhorst higher.

Maybe it was the one off title or cup that got them two in better stead. I’m not sure. Just seems odd.

Measuring the stats in the two leagues in my opinion is not comparable, the opposition teams are poles apart.
If Beale stays on his feet for our second goal against the mag's he'll be doing ok :lol:
It's a real shame that Mowbray won't be given a chance against them black and white bas**rds.

seems like the general view was wrong...
Dunno, I think he's been thrown under a bus, here, too. The squad is light / non-existent in a couple of key areas and nothing was done in January to do anything to significantly resolve these issues. That said, what tools he has had available to him, he's done a pretty good job of breaking them. I really wanted him to succeed, as that would mean we'd succeed. I don't see that happening now. Maybe he'll do something spectacular and massively turn thngs around.

Dunno, I think he's been thrown under a bus, here, too. The squad is light / non-existent in a couple of key areas and nothing was done in January to do anything to significantly resolve these issues. That said, what tools he has had available to him, he's done a pretty good job of breaking them. I really wanted him to succeed, as that would mean we'd succeed. I don't see that happening now. Maybe he'll do something spectacular and massively turn thngs around.
Ha’way man. It took him less than his 12 games to turn us into absolute boring dross

I have about half a dozen Rangers fans that work for me and have had a number of conversations over the past few days regarding Mr Beale. The general view is that he may have been thrown under the bus, a bit, at Rangers and he was just plain old unlucky that he was up against Postecoglu and if someone like Lennon or Rodgers was at the helm at Celtic, he'd probably have won the league. This might be some cause for optimism.
Someone I know said that in the 34 years they’d been going to Rangers games, they played the worst they’d ever seen under Beale.

Back