Talk In at the Engine Room

I'd say Clough pretty much did at Forest
no he didnt..there was a budgte..so he operated within that..
and he had scouts recommending names...which is what safc has.
of course clough ansd saf had huge power..but they got it after winning a bunch of stuff...not from day one.
its one of the things that wills top roy keane being a good manager..by the time he plaed for forest cloughw as at the peak of his power..and waht he said went in a lot f ways..and then keane went to utd..same deal..
but he doesnt realise those mannegers got that power after years of success..keane wanted it from day one..and it doesnt work that way.

When I asked JR about "why we never went for the jugular" against teams, he basically said sitting back was not his instructions and that it was down to the players which I found a tad strange.
Seemed to like the Don, but no mention of CM, and when questioned about the scouting staff and players brought in, he was very diplomatic shall we say ? U cud sense he wanted to elaborate but didn't.
Seems a very decent guy and obvly gutted we didn't go up.
Lee Clark was good and despite what anyone tells you, he got stitched up with the t shirt. Absolutely loved Reidy and his time at Safc. Was happy to pose for selfies and have a, bit chat, as was JR.
The pie and peas were canny, Jeff was his normal polished self (good luck on your Kenya bike ride for charity JB, and if a lion comes out of the bush, pedal like ####) and overall, a good night.
So the players didn't listen to him fir over a year. Poor management

I think he tried to negate this once by saying that supporters didn't realise how noisy games were and how difficult it is to pass on instructions - I don't buy that especially as sometimes I can even hear the players shouting to each other....
He said this last night but about the wembley games but he said most of the managers that do go mad on the touchline just to it for show

I think he tried to negate this once by saying that supporters didn't realise how noisy games were and how difficult it is to pass on instructions - I don't buy that especially as sometimes I can even hear the players shouting to each other....
players hear odd comments shouted from the crowd so i don't buy into that , it just possibly isn't in his nature

He has said this before which is why his 'once the players have crossed the white line....' comments pissed me off - he needed to coach from the touchline and change the pattern of pay as the game demanded.
Yeah. I can imagine he didn’t tell them to sit back as much - because why would you? But if you see your teams continually doing this, the onus is on you to sort this out - either in game or in how you build the squad.

Yeah. I can imagine he didn’t tell them to sit back as much - because why would you? But if you see your teams continually doing this, the onus is on you to sort this out - either in game or in how you build the squad.
Or at halftime, in reviews or certainly before the next match.
I'd say that was a pretty accurate assessment.
Not so pretty but probably accurate.

When I asked JR about "why we never went for the jugular" against teams, he basically said sitting back was not his instructions and that it was down to the players which I found a tad strange.
Seemed to like the Don, but no mention of CM, and when questioned about the scouting staff and players brought in, he was very diplomatic shall we say ? U cud sense he wanted to elaborate but didn't.
Lee Clark was good and despite what anyone tells you, he got stitched up with the t shirt. Absolutely loved Reidy and his time at Safc. Was happy to pose for selfies and have a, bit chat, as was JR.
The pie and peas were canny, Jeff was his normal polished self (good luck on your Kenya bike ride for charity JB, and if a lion comes out of the bush, pedal like ####) and overall, a good night.
Did he elaborate on the T-shirt incident, Luna ? Wondering if it's the version I heard a few years ago.

don't believe that for a second. it happened far to often for it not to be instruction driven

“Jack Ross is a very good charismatic manager will manage at a higher level”

Nick Barnes 24/10/2019
Needs a "Charisma" transplant for me and learn some new tactics.
Ross did mention when he returned to training this season everything felt different around the place .As though no matter what he did it wasn’t going to be good enough .
The thoughts I heard pre season about Ross was Here we go again. That was clear against Oxford, nothing had changed

Last edited:
Did he elaborate on the T-shirt incident, Luna ? Wondering if it's the version I heard a few years ago.
Just said hed had a few, some pals saw him, hoyed a t shirt on him, he was a tad too squiffy to realise immediately what was on and was removed not long after.
Sunday newspaper broke the story a month later !!
don't believe that for a second. it happened far to often for it not to be instruction driven
Only recalling what he said mate.

It certainly doesn't prevent, opposition managers, from barking out instructions, from their respective technical area, at the SOL.

Back