Talk In at the Engine Room

It certainly doesn't prevent, opposition managers, from barking out instructions, from their respective technical area, at the SOL.

There was a stoppage in play against Rotherham a few weeks back. Warne took the opportunity to get all of his outfield players around the technical area to pass instructions onto them, our players were all just stood around on the pitch with nowt from Ross.

Ross blaming the players for being so defensive sounds like him passing the buck.

There was a stoppage in play against Rotherham a few weeks back. Warne took the opportunity to get all of his outfield players around the technical area to pass instructions onto them, our players were all just stood around on the pitch with nowt from Ross.

Ross blaming the players for being so defensive sounds like him passing the buck.
I like Ross as a bloke.
He's articulate, and decent, but I just wish he'd been more animated at times, instead of standing all game, with his hands jammed in his pockets, or arms folded.

no he didnt..there was a budgte..so he operated within that..
and he had scouts recommending names...which is what safc has.
of course clough ansd saf had huge power..but they got it after winning a bunch of stuff...not from day one.
its one of the things that wills top roy keane being a good manager..by the time he plaed for forest cloughw as at the peak of his power..and waht he said went in a lot f ways..and then keane went to utd..same deal..
but he doesnt realise those mannegers got that power after years of success..keane wanted it from day one..and it doesnt work that way.

youre just wrong on stuff again though. And you talk with such great authority. Clough took complete control alongside Taylor (who was mainly his scout). That was both at Derby and Forest. Clough, when at Derby, even went way beyond the role of manager and was signing players without old Sam Longson knowing how much had been agreed on fees. It came to blows plenty times but Clough pretty much controlled proceedings right up until he resigned.

I like Ross as a bloke.
He's articulate, and decent, but I just wish he'd been more animated at times, instead of standing all game, with his hands jammed in his pockets, or arms folded.

To be fair, a lot of people wanted Roy Keane and that's all he did until his last season when he had to quite literally tell the players what to do through games.

When I asked JR about "why we never went for the jugular" against teams, he basically said sitting back was not his instructions and that it was down to the players which I found a tad strange.
Seemed to like the Don, but no mention of CM, and when questioned about the scouting staff and players brought in, he was very diplomatic shall we say ? U cud sense he wanted to elaborate but didn't.
Seems a very decent guy and obvly gutted we didn't go up.
Lee Clark was good and despite what anyone tells you, he got stitched up with the t shirt. Absolutely loved Reidy and his time at Safc. Was happy to pose for selfies and have a, bit chat, as was JR.
The pie and peas were canny, Jeff was his normal polished self (good luck on your Kenya bike ride for charity JB, and if a lion comes out of the bush, pedal like ####) and overall, a good night.
He lied about sitting back being down to players

Ross did mention when he returned to training this season everything felt different around the place .As though no matter what he did it wasn’t going to be good enough .

The novelty of league 1 had gone mate. Rather than it being a bit of an adventure - everyone is now just desperate to get out of this shitty league.

I’m presently heading to Shrewsbury’s and it’s a different atmosphere from last season

That actually happened on at least three occasions last season before Honeyman was transfered.

I think because he was sacked at a reasonable time and presents as a decent bloke, I hope there are few people that will bear a grudge. He's appears to be a clever bloke and long term I suspect he will really benefit from his experience here...ironically, particularly if Parkinson is able to get a tune out of these players....and i would expect him to go on and be a successful manager.

Always came across as an honourable and likeable football man and although I wanted him gone for the good of the club I take no pleasure in him going through a sacking and all that entrails.

He can here with a 'football philosophy' that he'd implemented at previous clubs and had worked very well for him. So the fact we saw precious little of it over a season and a half is telling.

At a guess either the pressure both internally and externally got got to him and he became very risk averse? Or the players he had / we signed weren't able to implement it successfully?
Or maybe a whole mixture of stuff? We'll probably find out in the years to come.
One thing I keep thinking about though is why he didn't just towards the end 'roll the f*cking dice' and gamble of the players being about to ourscore our way out of the inertia?!

Whatever I hope and I believe he'll do well in football management in Scotland and will have learned a lot from his time here.

youre just wrong on stuff again though. And you talk with such great authority. Clough took complete control alongside Taylor (who was mainly his scout). That was both at Derby and Forest. Clough, when at Derby, even went way beyond the role of manager and was signing players without old Sam Longson knowing how much had been agreed on fees. It came to blows plenty times but Clough pretty much controlled proceedings right up until he resigned.
so clough could spend as much as eh wanted and pay whatever he wanted without having to ask anyone?

no he didnt..
mottingham forest clief scout under clough was called maurice edwards by the way..

so clough could spend as much as eh wanted and pay whatever he wanted without having to ask anyone?

no he didnt..
mottingham forest clief scout under clough was called maurice edwards by the way..

Just one example; Clough signed Colin Todd for Derby from Sunderland without consulting Longson on the fee (a British record fee for a defender at the time). He then notified Longson of the deal after it had been signed. So yes he did as a matter of fact.

you’re right about Edwards yes. But Peter Taylor was the main recruiter.

Just one example; Clough signed Colin Todd for Derby from Sunderland without consulting Longson on the fee (a British record fee for a defender at the time). He then notified Longson of the deal after it had been signed. So yes he did as a matter of fact.

you’re right about Edwards yes. But Peter Taylor was the main recruiter.
that will be because clough knew what the budget was..which is how it should be 9and isnt at sunderland)..clough couldnt have said he would spend £20m on a player or something..he vcould spend the amount he was givn..

clough dodnt want kenny burns at all..taylor and edwards did thw rok to get him..clough didnt want him because of stories he heard..about lifestyle..

Ross saying he didn't ask the players to sit back is an odd one mind, I know it's early days but Parkinson already seems to have us trying to dictate games and create chances, obviously mixed results thus far but signs are positive and suggests the players will go more attacking if set up properly, no way would we have kept going and got 5 against Tranmere had Ross been there. I don't mind the bloke and genuinely hope he does well somewhere else, but if he prefers Donald to Methven it's likely only because Methven came to the right opinion about his ability to succeed here a lot earlier than Donald did

Back