Taking up jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without knowing how fit you are it's hard to say whether you could run that or not, but i'd say most people capable of running the distance should be able to cover that in 25 minutes after a few weeks.

If you actually trained, you might get it down to 20 minutes; but as has been mentioned, that's fairly quick.

I'm not gonna be pushing myself to run further than that, so was thinking once I'm doing that distance, the difficulty would wear off and I'd start knocking the time down, maybe add in a mo farah sprint finish for the last quarter of a mile which is down hill.

25 minutes would be fine as some days in the car it can take over half an hour.

I'm not gonna be pushing myself to run further than that, so was thinking once I'm doing that distance, the difficulty would wear off and I'd start knocking the time down, maybe add in a mo farah sprint finish for the last quarter of a mile which is down hill.

If it takes half an hour in the car, you might as well run; it's practically free exercise. Provided you can shower & change at work it's a no brainer.

Run Walk Repeat
Week 1
1 min 90 secs 8
Week 2 2 mins 1 min 7
Week 3 3 mins 1 min 6
Week 4 5 mins 2 mins 4
Week 5 8 mins 2 mins 3
Week 6 10 mins 1 min 3
Week 7 12 mins 1 min 3
Week 8 15 mins 1 min 2
Week 9 30 mins

Sorry if formatting is a bit off...but this should help get you up to speed if you do the above 3 times a week...

Last edited:
Run Walk Repeat Total Running
Week 1
1 min 90 secs 8 8 mins
Week 2 2 mins 1 min 7 14 mins
Week 3 3 mins 1 min 6 18 mins
Week 4 5 mins 2 mins 4 20 mins
Week 5 8 mins 2 mins 3 24 mins
Week 6 10 mins 1 min 3 30 mins
Week 7 12 mins 1 min 3 36 mins
Week 8 15 mins 1 min 2 30 mins
Week 9 30 mins x x 30 mins

That's ideal. Thanks.

How many times a week?

Running 8 minute miles every morning before work sounds like a terrible idea, honest you will be goosed come end of week. Unless you plan to do this once a week it wouldn't be worth it!

Run Walk Repeat
Week 1
1 min 90 secs 8
Week 2 2 mins 1 min 7
Week 3 3 mins 1 min 6
Week 4 5 mins 2 mins 4
Week 5 8 mins 2 mins 3
Week 6 10 mins 1 min 3
Week 7 12 mins 1 min 3
Week 8 15 mins 1 min 2
Week 9 30 mins

Sorry if formatting is a bit off...but this should help get you up to speed if you do the above 3 times a week...

This the couch to 5k plan?

I would recommend downloading the COUCH TO 5K App and it can track your results.

Running 8 minute miles every morning before work sounds like a terrible idea, honest you will be goosed come end of week. Unless you plan to do this once a week it wouldn't be worth it!

This the couch to 5k plan?

Plenty people go exercising at gyms etc before work don't they?

You have to get back home as well don't forget. Also you need to factor in cooling down time as I've found out cycling to work now and again, if you get there and jump straight in the shower when you get out and dry yourself chances are you'll still be sweating if it's been a warm morning

You have to get back home as well don't forget. Also you need to factor in cooling down time as I've found out cycling to work now and again, if you get there and jump straight in the shower when you get out and dry yourself chances are you'll still be sweating if it's been a warm morning

Good points. Something i didn't think of at all

Park run is about that distance. You could try your local one on a weekend and see how you get on.

If I was you I'd bike that. Running that distance everyday will do you an injury.

I train every day at the gym before work but that's weights and cardio and even then the cardio is low impact stuff.

Whilst running is great for fitness it's very bad for you knees etc, at the moment I do one 4 mile run a week that takes about 35 mins and that's enough

I reckon i could run to work quicker than i can get there in the car. Definitely the case in rush hour.
How long would it take for me to reach a level of fitness where I'm running about 3.5 miles in 20 minutes?
I'm currently able run about 400 metres before having to take a break due to a lack of practice.

Gan for a five mile run, time it then work on getting you minutes per mile down.

If I was you I'd bike that. Running that distance everyday will do you an injury.

I train every day at the gym before work but that's weights and cardio and even then the cardio is low impact stuff.

Whilst running is great for fitness it's very bad for you knees etc, at the moment I do one 4 mile run a week that takes about 35 mins and that's enough

Suppose it all depends on your body age etc. Even then you can get shit to prevent injury, insoles, supports etc

I never ran once in my life until about 18 weeks ago and I done the Couch to 5k App run every week for three times.
Managed to complete the 9 week training regime, done a Park Run in 34 mins and then a 10k in 1h 15m.

I have stopped so I am going to start the app back up and aim to do the GNR next year.

Good effort that well done

Last edited:
Gan for a five mile run, time it then work on getting you minutes per mile down.

Suppose it all depends on your body age etc. Even then you can get shit to prevent injury, insoles, supports etc

Good effort that well done

Cheers mate, always struggle with shin splints but went to a shop and they analysed my feet and gave me insoles. Worked a treat. Just had a little bairn so my training has just completely stopped but I am aiming to get back started and do a half marathon before the end of the year.

Cheers mate, always struggle with shin splints but went to a shop and they analysed my feet and gave me insoles. Worked a treat. Just had a little bairn so my training has just completely stopped but I am aiming to get back started and do a half marathon before the end of the year.
Shin splints are horrible but can be countered, I'm sure you'll have been told like but if there's grass near sometimes it's better to run on it for lower impact.

You'll manage nee bother

must say, in my opinion, its a terrible idea. no matter how fit you are, you can't do that type of run twice a day, 5 days in a row, week after week. even if you did, add in the 10/15 minutes shower time either side, and the time savings aren't worth it. take everyones advice, and get a half decent bike. you'll be amazed at how quick, easy and fun it is. you'll do 3.5 miles in 15 minutes and you'll hardly break sweat (depending on hills). it will get you a bit fit, save you time and most of all save you a fortune. if i worked 3.5miles away from my house i would never own a car again. cycling is class man

I reckon i could run to work quicker than i can get there in the car. Definitely the case in rush hour.
How long would it take for me to reach a level of fitness where I'm running about 3.5 miles in 20 minutes?
I'm currently able run about 400 metres before having to take a break due to a lack of practice.
How fit are you? I'm not, but did train for the Sunderland 10k a few years back and the best I got to was 5km in 30 minutes, which is 3.1 miles. 20 minutes for 3.5miles is some f***ing going mind!

I tried running a few years ago but it was doing my joints (k)nee good.

Knocked it on the head and got a bike instead. Glad I did, up to about 150 miles a week now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back