Taking up jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about that to be honest as long as you're sensible with your diet and stuff. I've got bowel disease and I've only had two occasions when I've had to urgently go in the bushes when running and that's because I was experimenting with energy gels on 10+ mile runs.

Sounds horrific to be honest. My route wouldn't offer much privacy and don't think there's any doc leafs growing along it

Maybe do it once or twice a week, but more slowly than that, allowing other days for recovery in between? But you'd still need to build up to it, obviously. On decent weather days I'd also consider just walking it...no need for a cool down or shower when you arrive, still great exercise, and much less stress for your joints etc.

Running to work is a bit of a pain tbh. Why don't you bus/metro into work and then run home?

Regarding pace; I'm a decent club runner (not good/excellent) and I can do a 5k in c20 minutes. 3.5 miles in 20 minutes is quick and a lot of clubs would be happy to have you :)

I wouldn't worry about that to be honest as long as you're sensible with your diet and stuff. I've got bowel disease and I've only had two occasions when I've had to urgently go in the bushes when running and that's because I was experimenting with energy gels on 10+ mile runs.

I'm ok with gels and use them regularly on long runs for marathons; but I know a lot of people struggle with them. The SiS ones are the best, but they aren't that cheap

Last edited:
I'm ok with gels and use them regularly on long runs for marathons; but I know a lot of people struggle with them. The SiS ones are the best, but they aren't that cheap

It was a High 5 selection pack that I was playing with. I might try the SiS if I get back to doing long distances again.

It was a High 5 selection pack that I was playing with. I might try the SiS if I get back to doing long distances again.

I've never had issues with the SiS stuff (the caffeine gels are canny btw) and they are worth a try.

I'm pretty sure if was the high5 ones that made me feel sick

I've never had issues with the SiS stuff (the caffeine gels are canny btw) and they are worth a try.

I'm pretty sure if was the high5 ones that made me feel sick

I just went for the High 5 as I love the Zero tablets that you make an electrolyte drink with.

Running to work is a bit of a pain tbh. Why don't you bus/metro into work and then run home?

Regarding pace; I'm a decent club runner (not good/excellent) and I can do a 5k in c20 minutes. 3.5 miles in 20 minutes is quick and a lot of clubs would be happy to have you :)

I started plodding (can't call it running really) recently and the thought of doing 20 min 5k's 5 times a week and the run home would put me off for life. Im just hitting nearer 22mins at the moment and I'm paggered after!!!

I started plodding (can't call it running really) recently and the thought of doing 20 min 5k's 5 times a week and the run home would put me off for life. Im just hitting nearer 22mins at the moment and I'm paggered after!!!

If you're doing 5k in 22 mins, that's not "plodding".

Get a bike. 3.5 miles will take about half an hour once you get in to the swing of it, but you'll be sweaty as a bastard once you get there.

I never ran once in my life until about 18 weeks ago and I done the Couch to 5k App run every week for three times.
Managed to complete the 9 week training regime, done a Park Run in 34 mins and then a 10k in 1h 15m.

I have stopped so I am going to start the app back up and aim to do the GNR next year.

Bit of advice mate, avoid the GNR run and do one of following instead:

Sunderland (May)
Edinburgh (May)
Kielder (Oct)

The GNR is very lucky that's it well supported, because everything else is utter shite.

I reckon i could run to work quicker than i can get there in the car. Definitely the case in rush hour.
How long would it take for me to reach a level of fitness where I'm running about 3.5 miles in 20 minutes?
I'm currently able run about 400 metres before having to take a break due to a lack of practice.
Probably could get ther than starting this thred ya fat fuck

I run early morning (just done 5k in 28 mins for the op) and quite often end up bursting for a dump halfway through :lol::oops:

I run for a hour , used to be all country but new houses are popping up in 4 different locations, be hell on when people discover the paid 300 grand for a house & open blinds 1st thing and the 1st sight they see from there dream home is me squating down with pants round me ankle's :eek::eek::eek::p

That's put me right off. Already got enough bother without that.

:D reading comment on that page , says no multi vitamin 1st thing, thats what i take, will stop that now. also take other vitamins. so will change time I take.

Taking a multivitamin isn't likely to cause diarrhea on its own, but if you take it in combination with other vitamin supplements or medications, or if it contains a certain ingredient, you may experience adverse effects, including diarrhea. This is more likely when you take supplements of vitamins C, D or E along with your multivitamin, or you take supplements at a higher dose than is recommended by your doctor.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/504386-diarrhea-from-a-multivitamin/

Last edited:
I run for a hour , used to be all country but new houses are popping up in 4 different locations, be hell on when people discover the paid 300 grand for a house & open blinds 1st thing and the 1st sight they see from there dream home is me squating down with pants round me ankle's :eek::eek::eek::p

hell if its good enough for Paula then its good enough for me!

I 'took up' jogging recently having not really done exercise at all since giving up football about 5 years ago (except all the shagging of course, eh lads?!).

Been doing it about six weeks (three times a week) and my last run was 3.7 miles in 30 minutes. I reckon your target time is a touch optimistic, but the distance is easily achievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back