Taking up jogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fit are you? I'm not, but did train for the Sunderland 10k a few years back and the best I got to was 5km in 30 minutes, which is 3.1 miles. 20 minutes for 3.5miles is some f***ing going mind!

aye its alright doing it once anarl, try doing it twice a day 5 days a week either side of going to work. barmy idea

I would build up gradually, initially going out on evenings and weekends until you find you can do the distance. Do not just set off for work one day at a fair old pace. That is the quickest way to get demoralised with the whole idea and not go out again.

I have found Runkeeper to be an excellent app for pace setting. I have always had the problem of setting off too fast and being buggered after a mile. I would start with 3 mile runs and set the pace to 9 minutes per mile. With headphones on it will tell you every 5 minutes if you are ahead or behind your target pace. If you struggle with 9 minutes then try increasing it.

When improving my speed, the general thing I have done is set a new pace and run 3 or 5 runs at that pace, which is generally enough to feel comfortable with it. Then knock 5 or 10 seconds off that pace and repeat. When I started doing running, I had been doing a lot of cycling and football, but still found it a struggle. Although reasonably fit, I was using my muscles in a different way, using them for longer and running up hills. I will run a lot playing football but that was all on a flat. I could feel the change in muscle groups once I hit a (fairly mild) hill, and that zapped me out. It seemed to take a good few weeks before I could do a 3 mile circuit without walking. I had to set myself targets where I would not walk before I reached certain points. Once I made that breakthrough the increased pace and distance followed quite quickly.

There is one other thing to consider though, taking your gear into work. Think of a ruck sack with clothes, towel and lunch in there, and the weight soon mounts up. It is amazing the difference having a few kilos on your back makes. When I was doing GNR training, I was doing a regular 6.5 or 8 miles, so the 5.5 to work should not have been a problem. I was really feeling it after a mile, carrying that extra weight. The next two miles were mostly up hill on a gravel off-road track, so every footfall slid back just that little bit. I got half way there and was absolutely knackered, with a few spells of walking. If I ever do it again, I will do some training with a rucksack first.

How people can run these sort of distances is beyond me like.

I can cycle for hours and not be nackered but if I run I am literally breathless after half a mile.

I live a mile and a half from work and I couldn't be arsed running that twice a day. Mind, I rarely walk or cycle in either. After being at work all day I just want to be in the car and away.

How people can run these sort of distances is beyond me like.

I can cycle for hours and not be nackered but if I run I am literally breathless after half a mile.

Probably going too fast, and it is using different muscles. If you cycle then you probably have the basic fitness, the rest is just training your body for a new sport. The key thing is wanting too. I find a 3 mile run quite nice and takes less than 25 minutes. 4 or 5 miles is not bad occasionally. Anything longer just gets boring. I'd much prefer to do a day of cycling than an hour of running.

Probably going too fast, and it is using different muscles. If you cycle then you probably have the basic fitness, the rest is just training your body for a new sport. The key thing is wanting too. I find a 3 mile run quite nice and takes less than 25 minutes. 4 or 5 miles is not bad occasionally. Anything longer just gets boring. I'd much prefer to do a day of cycling than an hour of running.

See my mouth / throat just gets full of thick crappy saliva by the time i have to stop. Don't know why but it basically MAKES me stop to the point I have to walk for a few minutes. I would love ti be able to run for distances.

aye its alright doing it once anarl, try doing it twice a day 5 days a week either side of going to work. barmy idea
It's someone I certainly couldn't do, or to be honest would have any desire to do. I wasn't doing it 3 times a week for training. It would certainly take a very fit person to achieve this twice a day x5.

i do 3.0 km in 19-20 minutes every day as a quick warm up.....3.5 miles in that time would be a good old pace
aye, that's about 17min 5k pace , very few new runners will do that

just get some babywipes, may not need a shower , but will need change of clothin in rucksack... it will be more of a chew on than you imagine

Last edited:
I reckon i could run to work quicker than i can get there in the car. Definitely the case in rush hour.
How long would it take for me to reach a level of fitness where I'm running about 3.5 miles in 20 minutes?
I'm currently able run about 400 metres before having to take a break due to a lack of practice.

3.5 miles in 20 minutes is pretty tasty like. You'd be occasionally finishing 1st at a few of the regional parkruns at that sort of pace.

Just train....that's all you can do....
It doesn't take long to get to a decent level of fitness, just keep at it though..
My best is 3 miles in 21mins or so, so 7 minute miling and I'm no Mo' Farah by any stretch...

I reckon i could run to work quicker than i can get there in the car. Definitely the case in rush hour.
How long would it take for me to reach a level of fitness where I'm running about 3.5 miles in 20 minutes?
I'm currently able run about 400 metres before having to take a break due to a lack of practice.
Long as you dont work at a call centre, You wont be able to talk for 20 mins running 6 min miles

you probs need to train at altitude if you expect to hit that pace mate ;)
oh and expect by 50 years old to need new knees, but its good for you im told.

That's put me right off. Already got enough bother without that.

I wouldn't worry about that to be honest as long as you're sensible with your diet and stuff. I've got bowel disease and I've only had two occasions when I've had to urgently go in the bushes when running and that's because I was experimenting with energy gels on 10+ mile runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back