Swearing at the match

We used to sit at the back of the family enclosure next to the singing section and ended up moving because of a particularly vulgar group of teenagers that took up residence behind us. Club actually put us in the East Stand at family enclosure prices rather than move the vulgar crew.

Our girls were about 3 and 10 at the time and the language was shocking. Although it did make me chuckle one time when one of them was loudly talking about one of his conquests "she was a right filthy f****** fat c***" and my oldest whispered to me "are they talking about Mam". 😂
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This what still confuses me, working class or not primarily surely people go to a football match to enjoy themselves

I am working class and would much rather enjoy myself than let of steam.

Says more about that person themselves to be honest if they want to let of steam rather than enjoy the game
Being a f***ing mag wum is what you enjoy

Constant problem and I’d assume it always will be.
Sitting in the family end you have a right to be annoyed but anywhere else I’ve got zero sympathy for people.
You must expect this will happen.
We have a child in front of us in the east stand and the odd swear word comes out, which i immediately regret but the emotion gets the better of me.
Generally people are well behaved and don’t go over the top, but it’s happened since I was young and then when I took my bairns.

Being a f***ing mag wum is what you enjoy
Nee wind up at all.

Just personally find it sad as fuck if somebody’s priority and thoughts are let’s go to a match to vent, rather than let’s go to the match to enjoy myself!!

Venting will obviously happen during the match when frustration happens, but reckon most go with the intention of enjoying themselves

Last edited:
Nee wind up at all.

Just personally find it sad as fuck if somebody’s priority and thoughts are let’s go to a match to vent, rather than let’s go to the match to enjoy myself!!

Venting will obviously happen during the match when frustration happens, but reckon most go with the intention of enjoying themselves
Mag as fuck you

If it’s not disagreeing with everyone about referees performances it’s defending NUFC players and ownership

Today it’s having a go at supporters behaviour.

Last edited:
Football is definitely changing. It's moving towards being a more family friendly environment, which in my opinion, is a good thing.

Swearing will happen, like it happens in other walks of life. It happens more in a football ground than elsewhere though, but that's down to the demographic and the people attending. As the demographic and times change, so will the amount of swearing, the amount of drinking etc.

We're at a weird junction now, where we have a mixture, hence this post.

Football is definitely changing. It's moving towards being a more family friendly environment, which in my opinion, is a good thing.

Swearing will happen, like it happens in other walks of life. It happens more in a football ground than elsewhere though, but that's down to the demographic and the people attending. As the demographic and times change, so will the amount of swearing, the amount of drinking etc.

We're at a weird junction now, where we have a mixture, hence this post.
Once it’s fully a family affair that’ll be it for me

Why does everything now have to be for families. Happening to pubs as well

Cant there be any adult spaces with adult language and themes?

Nee wind up at all.

You’d not have a clue, you don’t go to your team’s games

I don't like hearing the C word at the match.

I've used it plenty in regular parlance with the lads, but I think it's a bit beyond the pale at the football.

I can't remember if it was last season or the season before, but there was a young lad a few seats along behind me who'd come out with some of the most vile abuse for our players every match. It was constant. I mean, I lose me rag when we do stupid things and I'll shout an obscenity or two, but this was ridiculous. "Ya soft c'#ts" n all kinds. I snapped one day and shut the little spenk up. Barely heard from him the rest of the season, and they obviously didn't renew their seat.

Thing is, I think he attended with his da, who just sat there and let him get on with it.

Societal issue i’m afraid. Years ago most people would be wary of who was around them but most dont give a shite now. My language is vile but i’m always concious of who is around me.

Learnt all my favourite swear words at the match in the fulwell end, couldn’t wait to get to school to teach my mates them. I just shout fiddlesticks when we concede these days

Back