Swearing at the match

Swearing may also be a sign of intelligence, is associated with less lying and deception at the individual level and higher integrity at the society level, and may be a sign of creativity [5]. The offensiveness and the positive or negative consequences of swearing is highly dependent on the context.
Frankly, we do give a damn: improving patient outcomes with swearing
Nah that's absolute nonsense.. There are better descriptive words to use.
I never say shit fck or cnt in front of the bairns. I'd defo pull someone up for excessive expletives in front of my kids.
Same. I've never swore in front of my kids

Nah that's absolute nonsense.. There are better descriptive words to use.

Same. I've never swore in front of my kids
In the alternative vocabulary to use in front of the kidsI have

Jeffing heck - f***ing hell
Arrgh sausages - shit shit shit shit (mainly used when stubbing toe or stepping on lego)
Shine a light - shite
Chuffing heck - bloody hell

We used to sit at the back of the family enclosure next to the singing section and ended up moving because of a particularly vulgar group of teenagers that took up residence behind us. Club actually put us in the East Stand at family enclosure prices rather than move the vulgar crew.

Our girls were about 3 and 10 at the time and the language was shocking. Although it did make me chuckle one time when one of them was loudly talking about one of his conquests "she was a right filthy f****** fat c***" and my oldest whispered to me "are they talking about Mam". 😂

Thoughts on this? Few younguns at a guess early 20s behind me in east stand who are terrible for it. Not just as it when they get involved in the match but talking amongst themselves too. Every second word tends to be f***ing, C##t, etc etc. Loads of kids round us (including my youngun) although we are not in family enclosure I hasten to add. I know it probably shouldn't bother me as kids are going to be kids but . I genuinely can't remember what I was like at the match at that age so ultimately I fully admit I could have been the same. Its awful to listen too especially knowing plenty of kids are listening it. Yeah people like to blow off steam but it's literally constant for 90 minutes. Thoughts? Would you say out?
No excuse for it really- especially when kids are about. This is the sort of thing stewards should be clamping down on. Maybe worth reporting them tbh

It's give and take isn't it. It's not reasonable to expect people to be choirboys but I'd also say it's not reasonable to expect to be able to do exactly as you please and sod anyone else.

You're not trying to stop them swearing so you'd have to be an arsehole not to just rein it in a bit if you have a quiet word.

I think everyone is entitled to 3 swear words a match and that is that.
Well, we used to be foster cares and I used to take them to the match.
One lad I took was under strict instructions from the wife (no) to report back any swearing I did.
Cannot remember the game but it must have been pretty good as the report back was 'yes, he swore three times, two shits and an arsehole'. (I was possibly describing the match official tbf!
I was very relieved.

My mate is a Manure fan and some years ago took his young lad to his first game v Chelsea. When they got home the kid asked his mum what a ‘f***ing Cockney twat’ was. When she asked why he wanted to know he said it was because ‘Dad kept shouting it at the game’.
Given the Beale issue, kids at the SoL ought to be aware.

We have 4 lads behind us, no bother, sit and chat about their week. But i think one of them has tourettes . We have three 8 years old with us so it gets uncomfortable at times. I'm ok with the f's but ask them to stop the C's

It’s a football match

Environment for working class people primarily, letting off steam

Industrial language should be part and parcel
This what still confuses me, working class or not primarily surely people go to a football match to enjoy themselves

I am working class and would much rather enjoy myself than let of steam.

Says more about that person themselves to be honest if they want to let of steam rather than enjoy the game

Last edited:
Thoughts on this? Few younguns at a guess early 20s behind me in east stand who are terrible for it. Not just as it when they get involved in the match but talking amongst themselves too. Every second word tends to be f***ing, C##t, etc etc. Loads of kids round us (including my youngun) although we are not in family enclosure I hasten to add. I know it probably shouldn't bother me as kids are going to be kids but . I genuinely can't remember what I was like at the match at that age so ultimately I fully admit I could have been the same. Its awful to listen too especially knowing plenty of kids are listening it. Yeah people like to blow off steam but it's literally constant for 90 minutes. Thoughts? Would you say out?

It’s a great place to increase the vocabulary of the young generation.
Words such C*nt, b*stard, F*ck are all great edifying additions. It will serve them well along with using the wrong choice of words such as: there and their, here and hear, which and witch….and of course the classic, sauce instead of source.

Back