Surrey game off

Surrey had no choice really. Their supporters would have asked questions if this 2nd XI game went ahead. Ditto the ECB.

I suspect they could have put a side out for the 2nd XI game. If the reason was Covid why didn't they just announce it at the same time as the Durham match? In my opinion they've realised this would bite them on the arse and called it off last minute.
Only Kent have announced it, Surrey can't even be arsed to announce its off which about sums up their laid back attitude to this, they simply don't seem bothered. Would this have happened if they were in division 1 or if finals day was this weekend and they were involved? Just smacks of a cop out as they can't be arsed

Perfect illustration of the sheer contempt that the ECB shows towards the County Championship and cricket followers.

Rest assured had Slurry been in the top group in this ridiculous format and challenging for the title the game would have gone ahead likewise if it was a T20 or Hundred game.

So that's now four home CC games the Durham supporters have been unable to watch this season.

Not sure what NEPL rules are but when i played league cricket down south you could fulfil a fixture playing with 2 players short but with 3 the game was a abandoned and you got docked points.

should do the same to surrey

I'm still pissed off about this, the more I think about it the more it's annoying me. Going to be open to massive abuse this next season. Disgusting
If ever there was a reason to get rid of this absolute shit format then it's this incident.
If the Posh boys had been going for the Championship then they would have moved Heaven and Earth to make sure this game went ahead even if it meant putting out their Academy XI.

It absolutely stinks.

Surely for this they cannot make the rules up as they go along. I'm not sure what got rules are now on what you're supposed to do if you get pinged, maybe it was only certain classes e.g. delivery drivers who don't have to self isolate if pinged and don't have symptoms.
Daft thing is, whatever the rule is it should be made plain by the ecb so that there's no suspicion of playing mates and is the same for everyone and whatever happens don't make it up on the fly.

If ever there was a reason to get rid of this absolute shit format then it's this incident.
If the Posh boys had been going for the Championship then they would have moved Heaven and Earth to make sure this game went ahead even if it meant putting out their Academy XI.

It absolutely stinks.
Yeah that's the worry for next season, clubs might just think "what's the point" and look at pulling this stunt and save ÂŁÂŁÂŁ, time and effort. Nobody will convince me that ONE positive case can wipe out 2 games (22-26 players). Someone messaged me on twitter stating a rumour that they didn't have time to get PCR tests done which again I find hard to believe. My wife ordered one Thursday afternoon, it was here Friday morning and sent away and by 9am Saturday she knew the result.... Surrey clearly couldn't be arsed, they still haven't even put a statement out to state their 2nd xi game is cancelled today either. Just an absolute bullshit excuse and it will encourage others next season. Not a chance this happens if they were in finals week or division one.
Surely for this they cannot make the rules up as they go along. I'm not sure what got rules are now on what you're supposed to do if you get pinged, maybe it was only certain classes e.g. delivery drivers who don't have to self isolate if pinged and don't have symptoms.
Daft thing is, whatever the rule is it should be made plain by the ecb so that there's no suspicion of playing mates and is the same for everyone and whatever happens don't make it up on the fly.
Was plenty cases during the 100, and not one game cancelled.

I’m not up to date on the current covid rules but I believe if you are double vaccinated you don’t need to isolate if you are a close contact? You’d like to think most of the Surrey team were double jabbed surely?

Wonder how they will allocate points?
See playing conditions clause 16.3.3.4

“If any match in a division is cancelled, then divisional positions shall be determined on an average points per completed match basis. The tiebreaker in such a case shall be Net Runs per Wicket in all divisional matches including those carried forward from the group stage.”

The Surrey v Durham fixture obviously doesn’t qualify as a “completed” match so our final points tally will presumably be the average of the three games yet to be played. However, I am not entirely clear whether the points carried forward from the group stage (just 4 in our case) also get included in the average calculation, or are they just added to the average of points scored in the three games completed in the division stage? In other words, do the Essex group stage fixtures count as a “completed” match for the purposes of this clause?

One interesting effect of this clause would be that, if we win our next fixture our average points tally (excluding bonus points) would be the same as those for teams who win both their current games and their next!

What a mess Surrey have created!!! Let’s hope it comes back to haunt them!

“If any match in a division is cancelled, then divisional positions shall be determined on an average points per completed match basis. The tiebreaker in such a case shall be Net Runs per Wicket in all divisional matches including those carried forward from the group stage.”

The Surrey v Durham fixture obviously doesn’t qualify as a “completed” match so our final points tally will presumably be the average of the three games yet to be played. However, I am not entirely clear whether the points carried forward from the group stage (just 4 in our case) also get included in the average calculation, or are they just added to the average of points scored in the three games completed in the division stage? In other words, do the Essex group stage fixtures count as a “completed” match for the purposes of this clause?

One interesting effect of this clause would be that, if we win our next fixture our average points tally (excluding bonus points) would be the same as those for teams who win both their current games and their next!

Thanks for that 🤯

what a fart on

So that's now four home CC games the Durham supporters have been unable to watch this season.
Without wanting to whinge too much, and personally I feel that I amongst others have been very supportive of DCCC in these troubled times of late, but the initial goodwill showed by the club towards *Durham Defenders* doesn’t seem to have materialised over the season has it, I feel like I’ve seen less cricket this year than I would have liked.
Feels to me like with the assistance of outside parties they’re shooting themselves in the foot regarding memberships, lord knows what we’ll get for our money next season.

Without wanting to whinge too much, and personally I feel that I amongst others have been very supportive of DCCC in these troubled times of late, but the initial goodwill showed by the club towards *Durham Defenders* doesn’t seem to have materialised over the season has it, I feel like I’ve seen less cricket this year than I would have liked.
Feels to me like with the assistance of outside parties they’re shooting themselves in the foot regarding memberships, lord knows what we’ll get for our money next season.
I think memberships across the country will fall. People simply don't know what to expect next season and this party trick by Surrey will be know to others as well

I think memberships across the country will fall. People simply don't know what to expect next season and this party trick by Surrey will be know to others as well
I ve managed to attend two days cricket this season, so seriously thinking of pulling the plug on my membership. Lack of cricket during August was a joke, think the powers that be have lost the plot big time, that includes both the ECB and Durham CCC

Back