Surrey game off

Be interesting to see which way the counties decide to go next season with the championship. 2 divisions or 3 conferences.
The PCA are pushing for the same format next season(3 conferences, leading to Div 1, 2 and 3). Want to "iron out" anomalies like Durham being the highest scoring 3rd place but end up with only 4 points in the second format.
From this, clubs will be ranked 1-18, and then in 2 divisions of 9 from 2023.

I ve managed to attend two days cricket this season, so seriously thinking of pulling the plug on my membership. Lack of cricket during August was a joke, think the powers that be have lost the plot big time, that includes both the ECB and Durham CCC
As much as I'd love to "criticise" you for having those thoughts and say "support the club with your membership" I really can't. The whole situation is an absolute mess. The clubs need to start & put more pressure on the ECB. Durham have basically said nothing about the Surrey game for members, not said what was tried to get the game on etc and what the rules are etc. It's all just incredibly poor communication. Dangerous time for membership recruitment as the scheduling has been an absolute disgrace & the Surrey party trick will encourage others to do so if the red ball schedule remains the same next year as division 2 and division 3 see effectively dead rubber games and for me Surrey couldn't be arsed.

As much as I'd love to "criticise" you for having those thoughts and say "support the club with your membership" I really can't. The whole situation is an absolute mess. The clubs need to start & put more pressure on the ECB. Durham have basically said nothing about the Surrey game for members, not said what was tried to get the game on etc and what the rules are etc. It's all just incredibly poor communication. Dangerous time for membership recruitment as the scheduling has been an absolute disgrace & the Surrey party trick will encourage others to do so if the red ball schedule remains the same next year as division 2 and division 3 see effectively dead rubber games and for me Surrey couldn't be arsed.
Update re Durham Defender situation.
I wouldn't be critical of DCCC over the Sorry situation but I place all this fixture chaos at ECB's door. Their role is to administer to the programme which their members set out not vice versa. Having said that it's the members' own fault for letting them do so.
Durham Defender update | Durham Cricket

Update re Durham Defender situation.
I wouldn't be critical of DCCC over the Sorry situation but I place all this fixture chaos at ECB's door. Their role is to administer to the programme which their members set out not vice versa. Having said that it's the members' own fault for letting them do so.
Durham Defender update | Durham Cricket
I get that but the Comms from the club remains poor. Massively point the blame at the ECB though as I have consistently on here for many many years & I have made my feelings known numerous times to the club about it as a member. I hope things change otherwise I can see memberships dropping big time, the club need to listen to members and lobby the ECB accordingly. Time will tell but I am concerned.

I get that but the Comms from the club remains poor. Massively point the blame at the ECB though as I have consistently on here for many many years & I have made my feelings known numerous times to the club about it as a member. I hope things change otherwise I can see memberships dropping big time, the club need to listen to members and lobby the ECB accordingly. Time will tell but I am concerned.
I agree with your sentiments but sadly the traditional importance of the county member is nowhere near what it was 20 even 10 years. I think the counties are more interested in getting people to attend the T20 matches regardless if they are members or not and they take priority
I honestly can't see the bulk of the championship not being played in April may and September again
For me as a member for 25 years I actually attend far less cricket now than I did in the past.

Until we get rid of that abomination which I label Graves folly I fear this season's fixture format will remain. It's hard to disagree that T20 should be played mid-summer;it remains the format with the greatest following regardless of what we traditionalists may think. I quite enjoyed the watered down RL50 where youngsters were afforded opportunity which otherwise would have been denied them. Until the power of the ECB is curtailed; their purpose is to manage the game at the will of the members not v.v. ,i.e. dictate to the members how the game is managed. I blame the members for allowing this to happen; until they wrestle back control the desecration of the game will continue.

Probably because it's only 67 miles to Northampton - and yet you've travelled further for a 'home' fixture this season.

I'll say it again this stinks the place out.

Yup, I would have expected "regular testing" to be happening prior to an away game anyway, but still they could have done "regular testing" once this was common knowledge with ONE positive test. As I've said the wife done a PCR test, ordered Thurs, result known Saturday 9am.

As you say........... it stinks the place out.

Interesting statement today from the Indian camp. BCCI: "The remaining members of the Team India contingent underwent two Lateral Flow Tests – one last night and another this morning. The members upon returning negative COVID reports were allowed to proceed for Day 4 of the ongoing fourth Test at The Oval."

Interesting statement today from the Indian camp. BCCI: "The remaining members of the Team India contingent underwent two Lateral Flow Tests – one last night and another this morning. The members upon returning negative COVID reports were allowed to proceed for Day 4 of the ongoing fourth Test at The Oval."

And Warwickshire v Hampshire only has an hour delay despite a player testing positive.

I was fuming last week over our game being cancelled and I'm even more annoyed now. Something stinks here. FTECB seem to just fuck us about with every opportunity they can get.

And Warwickshire v Hampshire only has an hour delay despite a player testing positive.

I was fuming last week over our game being cancelled and I'm even more annoyed now. Something stinks here. FTECB seem to just fuck us about with every opportunity they can get.
Didn't know about the Hampshire game which makes it even more of a farce.
& still no announcement about the points.

Last edited:
Didn't know about the Hampshire game which makes it even more of a farce.
& still no announcement about the points.
There may have been no announcement but the ECB have published the tables showing the calculation for average points per game. I don’t think there is anything to announce but it would have helped everyone if they had done so.

These are calculated in accordance with the playing conditions. See 16.3.3.4 of the attached.

They had Alec Stewart standing in as umpire in their game today. 😆 How the fuck is that even allowed? Surely the match referee is a qualified umpire?
I heard about this and thought it was a joke at first but clearly not. Surely they can call upon a local umpire if needs be? They just seem a law above themselves Surrey. I was told Sunday, that Durham weren't happy and have asked questions, without reply. I think we all deserve clarification on the matter especially given covid happened on Sunday in two games and they went ahead after testing yet our game is off 48 hours in advance due to one case.

Last edited:
I heard about this and thought it was a joke at first but clearly not. Surely they can call upon a local umpire if needs be? They just seem a law above themselves Surrey. I was told Sunday, that Durham weren't happy and have asked questions, without reply. I think we all deserve clarification on the matter especially given covid happened on Sunday in two games and they went ahead after testing yet our game is off 48 hours in advance due to one case.
I blame the counties themselves for allowing ECB to be so dictorial.Counties should act as a combined voice,together with the PCA, their union, to ensure ECB are both open and accountable.

Back